LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0

Thread: Anthony Robbins - Unleash The Power Within

Post Thanks / Like

Anthony Robbins - Unleash The Power Within

Live with passion!

That is what Anthony (or Tony) Robbins wants us to do.

Sounds exciting, right?

This is an audio program called "Unleash The Power Within" that I purchased years ago from Nightingale-Conant Corporation. It contains 6 CD's, and was recorded live at one of Tony's expensive pep rallies.

At this event, Tony claims that he read 700 books on subjects such as psychology and human development.

From this vast reservoir of knowledge, one would think that Tony would be able to put on the best performance in the world, filled with life-changing secrets and stategies that would take your breath away.

Unfortunately, I wasn't very impressed.

It's not because everything he says is worthless. It isn't. It's just that he has a habit of stating the obvious to people. The problem is that I didn't learn anything new.

For example, in CD #4, he reveals the six human needs for long-term fulfillment, which are:

1.) You need certainty

2.) Variety or Surprise

3.) You need to feel significant

4.) Connection/Love with others

5.) Growth

6.) You must contribute beyond yourself in a meaningful way

Without a doubt, these are important . . . but I already knew this.

Do I really need to be told that I should love others . . . or that I need to feel significant?

So what are some of the other secrets that Tony has? Well, here's some more:

"Success in life comes from recognizing patterns."

"Two things control your entire life: Beliefs and Values."

"The quality of your life comes from the quality of your communication."

"The past does not equal the future."

"If you want to change, there's only one way: You've got to raise your standards."

I could go on, but what's the point? Tony never said anything that helped me in any meaningful way.

At one point, Tony said, "No problem is eternal . . only your soul is."

Then the audience applauded.

How ridiculous and unoriginal. Why did the audience applaud? The people seemed to get excited even when he had nothing useful to say.

The program also had a phone number, which I could call and receive a complete schedule of events so I could see Tony at one of his live events. It said that I would be "blown away" by seeing him in person.

LOL. I'll pass on that.

But I did go to his website to see how much it would cost. The cost of "General Admission" is $995.00. The cost to attend a "Diamond Premiere" event would cost $2,595.00.

Wow . . . why is it so expensive? I'd rather go to a rock concert . . . it would be a lot cheaper, and I would have a better time.

So here's my rating:

On a scale of 1 through 10 (with 1 being worthless and 10 being extremely useful/valuable), I rate "Unleash The Power Within" as a 2 out of 10.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anthony Robbins - Unleash The Power Within

Well, not only are the events by Tony Robbins very expensive, they're also very dangerous as well.

I just wonder why people would do what Tony says and walk on hot coals. What's the point of doing that? It doesn't make any sense.

From yahoo:

At least 21 treated for burns after Robbins event
    Associated Press – 6 hrs ago.. .

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Fire officials in California say at least 21 people were treated for burns after attendees of an event for motivational speaker Tony Robbins tried to walk on hot coals.

The San Jose Mercury News reports (San Jose: 21 people treated for burns after firewalk at Tony Robbins appearance - San Jose Mercury News ) that at least three people went to a hospital and most suffered second- or third-degree burns.

Robbins was hosting a 4-day gathering called "Unleash the Power Within" at the San Jose Convention Center. Witnesses say on Thursday, a crowd went to a park where 12 lanes of hot coals were on the grass.

Robbins' website promotes "The Firewalk Experience" in which people walk on super-heated coals.

Witness Jonathan Correll says he heard "screams of agony."

Fire Capt. Reggie Williams says organizers had an open fire permit and emergency personnel were on standby.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Anthony Robbins - Unleash The Power Within

Anthony Robbins is a "motivational speaker" taught by Jim Rohn, who sold vitamins before Amway existed.

I think he can be help to SOME people, but claiming universal principles of personal help is bogus.

In fact, I believe Penn and Teller's Bullsh__! already did an episode on the whole industry.

The "fire walking" is actually very simple... it's all psychological, and if you prepare it wrong you'll hurt yourself... badly.

The coal must be at the right temperature. Should be monitored with those no-touch thermometers. AND has a layer of ash on top.

Then the feet have to be completely dry (towels and such should be on the ground just before the fire lane). Then you simply ignore the fire and walk forward at a NORMAL PACE.

If you try to run your toes will dig in and catch little bits of hot coal trapped between your toes and THAT will burn.

If your feet's wet you'll get scalded by STEAM, even little droplets.

That layer of ash is an insulator as well. Which means you want to do it as early in the queue as possible, before all the people behind you knocked the ash off and left you with actual hot coals to walk on. Organizers should have only allowed small batches of people to make sure the ash accumulate before allowing more to walk.

There are several videos online. I think "Time Warp", the discovery high-speed-cam series, had a segment on this.