Thanks Thanks:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 17 of 62 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Allen Holbrook IEDC Rogue Former Member / Jeff Finkle Orchestrates Cover-up

Post Thanks / Like

re: Don Allen Holbrook IEDC Rogue Former Member / Jeff Finkle Orchestrates Cover-up

Quote Originally Posted by pantherdadX2
    in my opinion,were taken, and ultimately the tax-payers of EMC, by con-men and wont have the guts to admit it.
    From the "Public Sector 101" handbook.

Chapter #1, subsection #1, paragraph 1:

"Those within the public sector are NEVER, repeat NEVER, to admit fault in ANYTHING

Under NO circumstances is the word wro........wr.....wron.........err, that word, to be used"
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

re: Don Allen Holbrook IEDC Rogue Former Member / Jeff Finkle Orchestrates Cover-up

Economic Developer Takes Crookston, N.D., by Storm.(Originated from Grand Forks Herald, N.D.)

Knight Ridder/Tribune Business News
    March 17, 1996 | Knutson, David | Copyright

CROOKSTON, N.D.--Mar. 17--The sign on Don Holbrook's desk reads: "Nothing is impossible."
    Those words are a mantra for fast-talking Holbrook, Crookston's economic developer, who networks nationwide and wants Crookston poised to take advantage of the information age of the coming century.
    Holbrook hyped Big Foot, nabbed the New Flyer bus manufacturer and lured at least 400 jobs in his first four years.

Holbrook, who worked as an economic development director for the cities of South St. Paul and Inver Grove Heights, Minn., before coming to Crookston, said he likes the challenge of development in a rural community.
    So, from 1992-1996 he created 100 jobs per year average. That leaves 49,600 jobs from 1996 forward. We know from 2007 on Holbrook has been involved and pretty much living off of the Earthquest fantasy land program. So, with just a few other projects finally named by Holbrook after intense public pressure, including those following, where are those 49,600 jobs???:

here is a short list of Holbrooks accomplishments; New Flyer Industries,- Economic Development Deal of the Year, Delta steam boats, Phoenix Industries, Dee, Inc, Crookston Downtown Redevelopment Project (16 businesses expanded)- Governors Award for excellence, univ. Mn agricultural incubator, specialty foods, NSP Multimodal Port conversion, red wing downtown redevelopment grant (36 businesses expanded and second floor affordable living and walkway development and a new parking ramp), red wing industry park including Fairview Hospital Medical Campus, south st. Paul stockyards redevelopment into industry park, Havasu Mall, Chili’s restaurant, China Buffet, Havasu industry park,
    Holbrook is going to find discovery for numerous parties asking for everything but his used toilet paper delightful. As he claims there are false statements of fact and has yet to identify one, I guess every subject area covered by the journalists and taxpayers will be fair game and I suspect my wonderful counsel will demand every last shred of documentation and see as much as possible is entered into the public record. I am in the habit of posting depositions, so that should be most interesting reading. The truth shall set us all free!

A response from my attorney is being prepared as I write!!!
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Delta Steam Boats - ??

Phoenix Industries - Phoenix Industries What connection that Las Vegas, NV company has with Holbrook needs more documentation.

Dee Industries -
    Dee Inc (Dee, Inc) - Crookston, Minnesota (MN) | Company Profile

Dee, Inc 1302 Foskett Street
    Crookston, MN 56716-2136 map

Dee Inc in Crookston, MN is a private company categorized under Aluminum Foundries. Our records show it was established in 1974 and incorporated in Minnesota. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $10 to 20 million and employs a staff of approximately 50 to 99.
    Holbrook has been touting his accomplishments of the last 20 years. What does this have to do with his 100s of projects and stunning success?

Crookston Downtown Redevelopment project -

Minnesota Governor's Award for Excellence or Economic Development (as stated on Amazon) - I haven't found anything about it yet.

Mn agricultural incubator- ????

Specialty Foods - ??? Is it the fake non-existent company he bragged of to Wayne County?
    http://www.realscam.com/f11/iedc-int...html#post21602

NSP Multimodal Port conversion - ???

red wing downtown redevelopment grant (36 businesses expanded and second floor affordable living and walkway development and a new parking ramp),

red wing industry park including Fairview Hospital Medical Campus

south st. Paul stockyards redevelopment into industry park

Havasu Mall
    Holbrook was there from 2001-2003. The Shops at Lake Havasu (the Mall) opened in August 2008. So what did Holbrook really have to do with that?

Chili’s restaurant

China Buffet

Havasu industry park

Lake Havasu City | Partnership for Economic Development

http://old.azcommerce.com/doclib/COM...e%20County.pdf

http://www.havasuchamber.com/our-com...y_profile.aspx
    INDUSTRIAL PROPERTIES

The Central Business Park has approximately 20 acres remaining available for light manufacturing. Approximately 200 acres of city-owned property, adjoining the airport is undergoing master planning. » back to top

Today's News-Herald - Serving Lake Havasu City & The Lower Colorado River Area

Astro Haven coming to Havasu Business Park

By NATHAN BRUTTELL
    Today's News-Herald
    Published Tuesday, August 10, 2010 10:37 PM MST
    A Southern California company says it’s ready to become the first resident of the Lake Havasu City Agave Business Park, nearly one year after the park’s completion.

Submitted File Photo. An aerial view of the Lake Havasu City Industrial Park taken in late 2009.
    Partnership for Economic Development President/CEO Gary Kellogg told the City Council Tuesday evening that Southern California-based business Astro Haven Enterprises would be the first company to locate to the city’s industrial park.

Astro Haven Enterprises, which specializes in fiberglass technology for telescopes, domes and radar tracking technology, is expected to move into the business park in April 2011, following construction. The company is currently looking to fill about 20 positions with local residents, according to Astro Haven Enterprises Chief of Technology David Newton Brotherston.

“The (memorandum of understanding) was signed yesterday and this has been nine months in the making,” Kellogg told the council during its regular meeting in city council chambers in the police facility. “It is our first tenant and that is so important to this business park and we’re very excited about it.”

Brotherston said he was first introduced to Kellogg earlier this year during one of the city’s boat shows and after finding out about the business park, knew Lake Havasu City would be the perfect fit for the company.

“There were a lot of things happening in (Southern California) that were making it difficult for us to do our business,” he said. “So we expanded our search for our business to surrounding areas and we had known about the fiberglass talent in the area and so we started focusing on Havasu.”

Brotherston added that while the company is looking to hire 20 employees initially, he hopes that number will at least double within the first year.

“We’re looking at all local people who know how to work with fiberglass or who have a good attention to detail,” he said. “We’re doing a lot of innovative things so there really isn’t specific experience we’re looking for but we’ve found people with attention to detail are the easiest to teach.”

The park was originally conceived in 2006 when the PED and city staff obtained a $1.8 million grant. Kellogg previously said interest for the project was great at first with the city offering $2 million into the project and private donations accumulating another $1.6 million, but the Army Corps of Engineers caused “pretty big delays.”

Kellogg previously said his goal was to have at least one new business opening its doors within the next two years.

“I want to be breaking ground on at least one of these by next year,” he said in October 2009. “I think we’re going to get a lot more than that, but that’s our minimum goal.”

Mayor Mark Nexsen said Tuesday evening that recruiting the first business is always the most important.

“We knew a while ago that tourism and construction were not going to be enough to sustain our local economy,” Nexsen, who was actively involved in the project in 2006, said. “It’s been a long road getting the various grants and all of the work and donations gathered over that time, today we finally saw it come to fruition with our first tenant and I couldn’t be more pleased.”

Councilwoman Margaret Nyberg said she was happy not only for the added jobs, but because the business touts itself as being “completely green.”

“I think it’s fantastic that they’ve come to us and I think they’re going to be the start of things to come,” she said. “What a perfect thing to be able to start off with a company that is green and is technology-based and can use some of the people already here. I think the PED hit a homerun on this one … or at least the first base hit.”

You can contact the reporter at nbruttell@havasunews.com
    File Number: -0210780-0 Corp. Name: LAKE HAVASU CITY CENTRAL BUSINESS PARK OWNERS' ASSOCIATION,
    Business Type: HOMEOWNERS ASSOCIATION Corporation Type: NON-PROFIT Incorporation Date: 12/15/1988 Corporate Life Period: PERPETUAL Domicile: ARIZONA County: MOHAVE Approval Date: 01/11/1989 Original Publish Date: 02/16/1989 Status: AD-DISSOLVED-MAINTAIN STAT AGENT Status Date: 03/23/2000
    NRT880

John Parrott
    Coldwell Banker Commercial NRT
    Phone: (928) 486-1193
    Professional Profile
    Request More Information
    vCard

Map Print AddThis

AVIATION SQUARE ...office with warehouse area

1080 Aviation Drive Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403
    Price: $1,462.80 USD per Month
    Property Overview
    Property Overview: AVIATION SQUARE INDUSTRIAL PARK. Office with warehosue area. 2438sf to 4974s Great area on lake side of Hwy 95. Base rent from $1340 + CAM's from $121.90
    Property Subtype/Proposed Use
    Industrial Type: General
    Essential Information
    Property Status: Existing
    Gross Building Area: 40000.00
    Total Land Size: 2.50
    Land Size Units: Acres
    Zoning: M1P
    Property Location
    Sign Visible: Yes
    None of this appears related to Holbrook's 2001-2003 time in Lake Havasu. It is time for Holbrook to clarify about those 100s of projects worth billions of dollars that created 50,000 jobs! Discovery on all this will be a riot!!!

Soapboxmom
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

(C) Persons not parties. Subject to the scope of discovery provisions of Civ. R. 26(B)
    and 45(F), a person not a party to the action may be compelled to produce documents, electronically stored information or tangible things or to submit to an inspection as provided in Civ. R. 45.
    Holbrook should expect that anyone he worked for or had contact with in the last 22 years when he was busy with those 100s of projects to be served with discovery requests and perhaps be subject to depositions. Since we journalists and taxpayers have been accused of making false and defamatory statements every area discussed related to Holbrook will have to be thoroughly documented.

I hope Holbrook's attorney checked out his story and documented everything before she filed this monstrous case. Tim Darnell's attorney put his law career in jeopardy because he believed his dishonest client. I demanded Holbrook and/or Seeberger produce the false statements they were braying about numerous times and their response was to file this ridiculous suit. Now, my attorney will be filing motions that will force them to produce all of that!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Holbrook say on Myspace:
    August 1996 until March 1998 Partnership for Economic Development, PED

• Lake Havasu City, Arizona US
    • President/CEO
    Several newspaper articles suggest that he was actually employed there in 2001-2002. Getting discovery on all this is going to be very interesting!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

www.yourhoustonnews.com/east_montgomery/news/developers-for-earthquest-friendswood-progress-with-plans/article_56f5c762-8e38-51ee-b5a5-f5757b03b900.html
    Interesting article. I love that Don Holbrook was denied payment. Don Holbrook seems to have worn out his welcome!

Friendswood said something about building homes on the Earthquest property if the park is not built. Isn't that land specially zoned retail in order to recoup the bond money with taxes collected??? Friendswood would have to get the zoning changed I believe.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soapboxmom View Post
    Friendswood said something about building homes on the Earthquest property if the park is not built. Isn't that land specially zoned retail in order to recoup the bond money with taxes collected??? Friendswood would have to get the zoning changed I believe.
    Wasn't that Trey Whites' intention all along ???

http://www.realscam.com/f11/trey-white-fake-multi-billionaire-marlin-atlantis-earthquest-park-don-holbrook-iedc-654/index2.html#post8416

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Holbrook worked for the Red Wing Port Authority from 1996 -1998 when he was fired. So What could he have possibly had to do with the "red wing industry park including Fairview Hospital Medical Campus?"

http://www.positivelyminnesota.com/B...-Exhibit_I.pdf

Red Wing Medical Center - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, the first document outlines the parameters for the development in 1999 and the hospital opened in 2001. No mention of Holbrook anywhere on the web in connection with this except the recent postings by Holbrook himself as his critics kept demanding a listing of his projects. Discovery will clear all of this up no doubt.

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

SHAME ON EMCID! How is Don supposed to maintain the Zeppelin to distribute more "Red" across our fair planet? 0h well, time for him to get back on his communicator and make a call to the Man-In the Moon. Maybe the President of the Crater No. 42 Improvment District has come up with some more " moon rocks" to fuel his next expedition. Woody, fire up the rockets, Mr. Potatoe Head, set the phasers and potatoe guns on "stun", this is gonna be fun! Can't wait for the next "crooked polititions" comments to eminate from the Lord and Supreme Master of the Internet's piehole.
    Last edited by pantherdadX2; 06-19-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: needto add content

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Spell check.......politicians

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

2012 Board of Directors

Board members are listed alphabetically. Click on a board member's name to read a brief biography.

Filing an Alleged Ethical Violation
    Alleged violations can be brought to the attention of IEDC via a number of avenues – contacting a board member, the board chair, CEO or the Committee on Professional Conduct (CPC). Complaints may also be initiated by the CPC on its own initiative or at the request of the board chair or the CEO based on information concerning a potential ethical violation that comes directly to their attention by other means. The complaint should be submitted in writing with substantial written or electronic
    documentation to support the allegation. Providing as much documented proof of the alleged violation as possible is strongly encouraged. IEDC ensures the confidentiality of the review process as well as to keep the identity of the person submitting the complaint (the “complainant”) confidential.
    Anonymous complaints can be filed, though anonymous testimony is not allowed if the case proceeds to detailed review phase.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Published on May 22, 2012 by KPVM41
    Don Holbrook from Contour Entertainment and The Vercitas Group, meet with the Nye County Commissioners yesterday to discuss the theme park feasibility study. He was expected to ask the board for some additional money to continue. The Pahrump Town board gave him a reported $187,000.00 dollars for the first study, to find out if tourist would actually travel to Pahrump for a theme park.

(Tag) According to the Pahrump Valley Times, Don Holbrook of the Vercitas Group and Contour Entertainment was named as a defendant in a complaint filed in the Montgomery County Court of Common Pleas of Dayton, Ohio. The lawsuit suggested that Holbrook's work product was not at all what was expected by the council and did not conform to the contract requirements that Holbrook was required to fulfill as part of the contract.

Category:

News & Politics
    Tags:

License:

Standard YouTube License

• 0 likes, 0 dislikes

see all All Comments (1)

Respond to this video...

I don't appreciate an alleged credible news station running such a horribly inaccurate news story and citing that I was at a meeting where I was not in attendance and this contract is not with me at all. Then running pages marked as private on my personal facebook page to be solicited and sent out to the the general public without my permission for such a distribution. This is a direct invasion of my personal privacy and has nothing to do with this project by Contour Entertainment. Inaccurate.

economicdeveloper 1 week ago

__________________________________________________ _________________________
    Sorry Holbrook. Your Facebook page was public and had pictures of you with the Earthquest folks. Since it was in fact marked public, folks just hit the share button. You were not at the meeting, but as I already posted were definitely a hot topic of discussion.

http://www.realscam.com/f11/iedc-int...html#post21455

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The world's first Marketing Alliance
    among world class consultants
    in Economic Development
    and Site Selection.

Philosophy Mission Statement Don A. Holbrook
    Don Holbrook, CEcD, FM

Don Holbrook is a certified economic development professional and a fellow member of the International Economic Development Council in Washington, DC. He has over 15 years direct experience at the CEO level of public sector economic development organizations and 5 years as a site location consultant specializing in entertainment based destination locations that create major tourism outcomes for locales such as Theme parks, Resort/Hotels, Casino Resorts, Water parks, Family Entertainment Centers and Eco-tourism projects.

He specializes in developing catalyst projects to attract private sector investment into destination projects. His unique approach of developing meaningful public private partnerships has created a unique Art of the Deal Today. Holbrook is a consummate professional on all aspects of public and private sector finance and brings a get it done approach to such projects. He has worked on over $1B in investments in his career and created over 50,000 jobs as a result of his projects.

Holbrook is the author of two books "The Little Black Book of Economic Development", published in 2007 and "Who Moved My Smokestack?" published in 2008. His next book, "The Next America- an inconvenient economy!" comes out in late 2010. He is a featured keynote speaker on globalization, fearless leadership in times of economic chaos and the Art of the Deal Today. He is one of the most published thought leaders in the field of economic development. He has appeared on Fox Morning News, NBC Evening News and has been interviewed by the USA Today, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, New York Times and numerous other local television and printed news media.
    His projects he says. I will keep digging, phoning everyone that has worked with Holbrook in any capacity and preparing discovery requests. I will publish all the addresses for service here so that all of the co-defendants attorneys will have access to the information.

And, boy is he a very public figure with his national media presence, numerous public positions of power and of course a more recent claim of being the best selling author in his field. Fascinating!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Soapboxmom View Post
    His projects he says. I will keep digging, phoning everyone that has worked with Holbrook in any capacity and preparing discovery requests. I will publish all the addresses for service here so that all of the co-defendants attorneys will have access to the information.

And, boy is he a very public figure with his national media presence, numerous public positions of power and of course a more recent claim of being the best selling author in his field. Fascinating!

Soapboxmom
    How is he 'certified' and who actually does the certifying?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don Allen Holbrook commented on a link.

This story is highly inaccurate. There was no payment agreement made for me to pay any Attorney expenses on behalf of EMCID and the check mentioned in this article was not made out to me and/or any of my companies. This was an internal dispute between EMCID board members who have decided to deviate from their agreements and their own legal staff that was trying to create a new agreement for them to remedy their self-created problems with keeping their contractual obligations. What the story also failed to mention is that the new option agreement also set forth final payment on the long overdue site location fees owed to me for work that was completed in 2009.

Developers for EarthQuest, Friendswood progress with plans
    www.yourhoustonnews.com
    The sign displaying the design plans for the highly contested EarthQuest Park near Roman Forest Blvd. has faded such as the community’s hope for the park

Well, gee, Holbrook why don't you sue EMCID and Your East Montgomery (or Houston) News as well. Just who was the check made out to and why the whining??? I think the boards problems have something to do with you, Holbrook, breezing into town and starting a horrendous and very extravagant spending spree that some of the public seems to find highly objectionable. Since you are so litigation happy you might as well go for the gold and sue everyone else on the planet!

I think the new board may come in and see that the Holbrook gravy train comes to and end. He and or his entities were paid around 1.2 million dollars from 2007-2010 and tens of thousands in travel, lodging, meals and more were provided to him over the years. Enough already!!!! And, boy did Holbrook pick a swell site.

It is quite possible Earthquest will not come to fruition and Freindswood stated in that very article that if is was not going to be built they were planning to put homes on that property. That would require a zoning change, but they certainly could request one and that is better than nothing on the property I suppose.

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Ain't technology grand ??

Only a few years back this whole saga would have been carried out in some bureaucratic backroom and the good people who fund the shenanigans wouldn't even have been aware of what was transpiring.

Now, thanks to the wonders of the 'net and Mr Holbrooks' propensity for attempting to sue the pants off anything that moves across his path, the whole sordid mess is being played out in excruciating detail in full public view.

Throw Google and Bing into the mix, and one could well imagine geese are being cooked, races have been run and future prospects are down the toilet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post
    Ain't technology grand ??

Only a few years back this whole saga would have been carried out in some bureaucratic backroom and the good people who fund the shenanigans wouldn't even have been aware of what was transpiring.

Now, thanks to the wonders of the 'net and Mr Holbrooks' propensity for attempting to sue the pants off anything that moves across his path, the whole sordid mess is being played out in excruciating detail in full public view.

Throw Google and Bing into the mix, and one could well imagine geese are being cooked, races have been run and future prospects are down the toilet.
    The power of the courts is even grander.

EarthQuest's Don Holbrook Threatens to Sue Critics into Submission - Houston News - Hair Balls
    For example, Holbrook claims to have "worked on over 100 projects representing over $1 billion...in capital investment, generating more than 50,000 jobs in his nearly 20 years in the profession." Holbrook has never responded to requests from both the Tribune and the Press to identify these elusive projects and jobs.

News articles and public documents from his brief economic development agency stints in Arizona, Minnesota and Indiana don't suggest anything close to that. When we tried to find out more from these agencies, we were left hanging. The Lake Havasu City Partnership for Economic Development, which didn't renew its contract with Holbrook after two years, didn't want to tell us anything about him; no one from the Wayne County Economic Development Corporation or Red Wing Port Authority wanted to talk, either -- not a surprise, considering how he threatened to sue folks associated with the former and actually did sue the latter.
    All those folks and entities that the overgrown buffoon Holbrook has threatened may well refuse to talk to me and my co-defendants, but they will respond to legal requests from the court and its officers for production of documents, to subpoenas and to appear for depositions etc. without a doubt.

I intend to get every last spec of information about Holbrook into the public record, see it goes viral and comment on it for eternity. This goon, Holbrook, should never have able to go around threatening innocent and honest taxpayers, journalists, public officials or anyone else! He has often appeared on national broadcasts as an expert commentator. I intend to see him on as the subject of some in depth exposees!!! He needs to be answering lots of questions related to his activities, projects and vile threats! The meltdown king's reign as the Lord and master of the internet will be ending very soon if I have anything to say about it!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Now we know the sort of thing "reputation management" consultants dream about when they're having nightmares.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don, no one has moved your smokestack. Let us help you find it. It's still in the same place it's always BEEN. Since you so fond of looking in them at yourself, walk to the nearest mirror, a medicine cabinet will do, and look at it. There you will SEE that smokestack, it's that thingy above your neckline.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it seems like I have been let out of the party in Ohio. The overweight buffoon Holbrook has a lot of explaining to do when this gets to court. I am surprised, a so-called educated dumbnuts wants this to go to court. I guess he will stick it to this lawyer like he did for 1.9 million before going bankrupt the last time. This bozo has stuck to the taxpayers of Pahrump, NV for the tune of $350,000. Because our elected officials are to stupid and have egos that will not let them admit they made a mistake. It is human to err, at least thats what I was taught. I guess being retired from 22 years of Law Enforcement has made me see more than the average citizen sees. But I have to say that Thanks to SBM and the editors of the three newspaper agency's, we are going to put the Music Man out of business of sticking it to taxpayers. Looking forward to actually meeting the overweight buffon ( to quote) in court to make him show where 50,000 jobs are, over 100 success stories and 1 Billion in revenue are?????

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Town board chair announces run for open Assembly seat | Pahrump Valley Times
    Yet he questions Holbrook about easily found references and references Holbrook provided the Town in advance. Let’s put this rumor to bed as well; here is a short list of Holbrooks accomplishments;......south st. Paul stockyards redevelopment into industry park.....
    Four Memorable Events | Industries & Trends | Twin Cities Business
    Four Memorable Events

Interstate Partners and the Central Livestock Association: The Ending of an Era, A Final Farewell

Next »
    March 2009 | by Lucy Vilankulu
    « return to main article
    The celebration of the South St. Paul stockyards included the final sale by Central Livestock and lunch served by the onsite cafe.

Venue: South St. Paul Stockyards
    Attendees: 1,500 people during the day; 100 people for the groundbreaking ceremony at night
    Catering: Barb Lundberg, BS Café; Special Events
    Event Planner: Susan Diamond, Jigsaw Unlimited

The stockyards were very foreign to me,” says Susan Diamond diplomatically. “I grew up on the other side of town.” Diamond, who generally handles groundbreaking and gala events for real estate developers, has not often planned an event where guests parked next to the Sheep Barn or examined auction items next to Hog Alley. Nor has the entertainment included the lowing of cattle and the squeal of pigs; but these were just a few of the unusual features of the farewell event for the South St. Paul Stockyards.

Diamond’s company Jigsaw Unlimited was hired by Eagan-based Interstate Partners, which acquired the 27.3-acre property in 2007, and plans to develop it into a business park.
    In April 2008, when Central Livestock moved its operations to Zumbrota, Interstate Partners joined with key players from the city and Central Livestock to produce an event that would honor the stockyard’s 122-year-long sojourn at Armour Avenue and Concord Street. Diamond says she ended up being the “middleman” between the developer, the River Heights Chamber, the City of South St. Paul, and Central Livestock, who all cooperated to make the occasion a real tribute to both the past and the future of the area.

The stockyard, which was founded in 1886, was the world’s largest livestock market from the mid-1970s to the early 1980s, a fact made more astonishing by its near proximity to downtown St. Paul. Generations of South St. Paulites lived and worked within hailing (and smelling) distance of the facility. As South St. Paul Community Affairs Liaison Deb Griffith put it to Diamond “It’s the smell of money.”

The day-long celebration featured the final sale by Central Livestock, guided tours of the facility, and a complimentary lunch of hamburgers provided by the BS Café, which has served the stockyards since 2000. Visitors had a chance to buy specially prepared memorabilia: engraved bricks and pen gates. Appearances by the Beefmobile (a van adorned with beef-related art) and Sir Loin, the mascot of the South St. Paul High School, underscored the bovine theme of the occasion. The mood was nostalgic and celebratory, as all considered the long history of the stockyards and the people who worked in them, from the truckers who brought in the cattle, to the auctioneers who touted them, to the people who grew up nearby.

The late afternoon groundbreaking ceremony featured cocktails and hors d ‘oeuvres for 100 guests, including the development team, Beth Baumann, Mayor of South St. Paul, and the River Heights Chamber of Commerce. Special Events’ Chuckwagon division catered the groundbreaking ceremony, which was held in a tent. Interstate Partners hopes that the development of the BridgePoint Business Park will revitalize the area, which has been in decline since the 1970s, when meatpacking plants closed.

The weather was, in keeping with a Minnesota spring, sleety and cold. “Talk about a site challenge,” Diamond remarked dryly. “It was muddy and cold. I got a hotel room next to the site just so I could clean up between events.” She dealt with the venue’s enormous size by creating detailed maps for herself and the other planners. Diamond found that the guests, many of whom worked at the stockyards or with livestock, were completely unfazed by the weather or the barnyard-like surroundings. “We had exactly the same turnout that we had anticipated for a perfectly beautiful day.”
    Interstate Partners :: Minnesota
    In Minnesota, Interstate Partners has developed sixteen buildings, totaling approximately 1,000,000 square feet. In addition the Minnesota division has acquired two parcels of land located in South Saint Paul and Eagan respectively. In South Saint Paul, the land comprises 30 acres which was the last active stockyards in South Saint Paul. When redeveloped, this property will be an additional phase of the BridgePoint Business Park. Public infrastructure improvements began in Spring 2008 with plans to begin constructing the first building known as BridgePoint Business Center I in the Summer of 2009....

BridgePoint Business Park — A 30-acre master planned business park located on Concord Avenue just ½ mile south of I-494 in South St. Paul, MN (Dakota County). .....
    http://www.ceam.govoffice2.com/index.asp?Type=B_BASIC&SEC={C7DA76D0-C93C-4F1B-AA9A-71C2F644F6D6}

Don Allen Holbrook had little or nothing to do with it, apparently. The developer, Interstate Partners, has never heard of Holbrook!!! So much for that Holbrook accomplishment!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Standards for Charity Accountability - U.S. BBB
    STANDARDS FOR CHARITABLE ACCOUNTABILITY
    GOVERNANCE AND OVERSIGHT
    The governing board has the ultimate oversight authority for any charitable organization. This section of the standards seeks to ensure that the volunteer board is active, independent and free of self-dealing. To meet these standards, the organization shall have:
    1. A board of directors that provides adequate oversight of the charity's operations and its staff. Indication of adequate oversight includes, but is not limited to, regularly scheduled appraisals of the CEO's performance, evidence of disbursement controls such as board approval of the budget, fund raising practices, establishment of a conflict of interest policy, and establishment of accounting procedures sufficient to safeguard charity finances.
    2. A board of directors with a minimum of five voting members.
    3. A minimum of three evenly spaced meetings per year of the full governing body with a majority in attendance, with face-to-face participation. A conference call of the full board can substitute for one of the three meetings of the governing body. For all meetings, alternative modes of participation are acceptable for those with physical disabilities.
    4. Not more than one or 10% (whichever is greater) directly or indirectly compensated person(s) serving as voting member(s) of the board. Compensated members shall not serve as the board's chair or treasurer.
    [Publicly soliciting churches and other houses of worship: see the Implementation Guide for further information about the application of this standard.]

5. No transaction(s) in which any board or staff members have material conflicting interests with the charity resulting from any relationship or business affiliation. Factors that will be considered when concluding whether or not a related party transaction constitutes a conflict of interest and if such a conflict is material, include, but are not limited to: any arm's length procedures established by the charity; the size of the transaction relative to like expenses of the charity; whether the interested party participated in the board vote on the transaction; if competitive bids were sought and whether the transaction is one-time, recurring or ongoing.......
    FINANCES
    This section of the standards seeks to ensure that the charity spends its funds honestly, prudently and in accordance with statements made in fund raising appeals. To meet these standards, the charitable organization shall:
    Please note that standards 8 and 9 have different denominators.
    8. Spend at least 65% of its total expenses on program activities.
    Formula for Standard 8:
    Total Program Service Expenses should be at least 65%

Total Expenses
    9. Spend no more than 35% of related contributions on fund raising. Related contributions include donations, legacies, and other gifts received as a result of fund raising efforts.
    Formula for Standard 9:
    Total Fund Raising Expenses should be no more than 35%

Total Related Contributions
    ......11. Make available to all, on request, complete annual financial statements prepared in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles. When total annual gross income exceeds $500,000*, these statements should be audited in accordance with generally accepted auditing standards. For charities whose annual gross income is less than $500,000*, a review by a certified public accountant is sufficient to meet this standard. For charities whose annual gross income is less than $250,000*, an internally produced, complete financial statement is sufficient to meet this standard.
    *Note that new financial statement thresholds for Standard 11 are effective for fiscal years ending 12/31/2011 and thereafter.

12. Include in the financial statements a breakdown of expenses (e.g., salaries, travel, postage, etc.) that shows what portion of these expenses was allocated to program, fund raising, and administrative activities. If the charity has more than one major program category, the schedule should provide a breakdown for each category.13. Accurately report the charity's expenses, including any joint cost allocations, in its financial statements. For example, audited or unaudited statements which inaccurately claim zero fund raising expenses or otherwise understate the amount a charity spends on fund raising, and/or overstate the amount it spends on programs will not meet this standard.
    14. Have a board-approved annual budget for its current fiscal year, outlining projected expenses for major program activities, fund raising, and administration.........
    FUND RAISING AND INFORMATIONAL MATERIALS
    A fund raising appeal is often the only contact a donor has with a charity and may be the sole impetus for giving. This section of the standards seeks to ensure that a charity's representations to the public are accurate, complete and respectful. To meet these standards, the charitable organization shall:
    15. Have solicitations and informational materials, distributed by any means, that are accurate, truthful and not misleading, both in whole and in part. Appeals that omit a clear description of program(s) for which contributions are sought will not meet this standard.
    A charity should also be able to substantiate that the timing and nature of its expenditures are in accordance with what is stated, expressed, or implied in the charity's solicitations.
    16. Have an annual report available to all, on request, that includes:

1. the organization's mission statement,
    2. a summary of the past year's program service accomplishments,
    3. a roster of the officers and members of the board of directors,
    4. financial information that includes (i) total income in the past fiscal year, (ii) expenses in the same program, fund raising and administrative categories as in the financial statements, and (iii) ending net assets.

17. Include on any charity websites that solicit contributions, the same information that is recommended for annual reports, as well as the mailing address of the charity and electronic access to its most recent IRS Form 990.
    EarthQuest Institute - Our Team
    Management Team

Our Management Team is comprised of accomplished executives from a variety of disciplines. They provide expertise in private and public fundraising, financial management, non-profit leadership and the sciences.

Don Holbrook, President and CEO
    Dr. Matthew Gardner, Chief Science Officer

Executive Board

Our Executive Board represents the major creative and philanthropic developers of the EarthQuest concept, with respective backgrounds in science, communication, public education and community development.
    Leon Cubillas, Chairman
    Don Lessem, Founder and Director
    John Marlin, Director

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Charity Review of EarthQuest Institute
    Nondisclosure
    This Charity did not provide requested information. As a result, the Better Business Bureau cannot determine if it meets standards.
    EarthQuest Institute: a betrayal of the public's trust? - Monday, April 02, 2012 - Copyright 2007 Ourtribune.com
    EarthQuest Institute: a betrayal of the public's trust?
    Monday, April 02, 2012
    Cynthia Calvert
    On Dec. 8, 2009, the inaugural “Friends of EarthQuest” fundraiser was held in the grand ballroom of the stately complex that houses the East Montgomery County Improvement District (EMCID). It seemed that everyone wanted to be there, from the county judge to the county lineman. So many showed up for the festivities that some were turned away at the door, no doubt crestfallen by their inopportune misfortune.

But for the fine folks of East Montgomery County that were allowed in, it was a gala affair, punctuated by diamonds and dinosaurs, Cretaceous critters and Christmas glee. All the while, the giant head of a T-Rex held sway over the proceedings, its toothy grin a warning, perhaps, for those who might venture a little too close.

Most of all, this grand event was a celebration of hope for East Montgomery County and its residents.

After almost five years of plans and promises, the advent of EarthQuest seemed fitting for the Christmas season. For it was a gift that vowed to keep on giving, with new jobs, new businesses, new developments . . . indeed, a whole new way of life.

But the good citizens of this community didn’t just attend as well-wishers. Not at all. They came with their pocket books in hand, ready to make a tangible contribution to the dream that had been promised them by local politicians, civic leaders and, most of all, the members of the EMCID board.

And on this one night alone, more than $75,000 was raised for the EarthQuest Institute (“Institute”). This Institute was a nonprofit corporation established by EMCID and the EarthQuest developers as an “edutainment” center, so that the young and the young at heart would be able to learn valuable lessons from the past.

So how ironic is it, that on the very same night the ‘Friends of EarthQuest’ were reaching into their wallets to support this great adventure, the consultants hired by EMCID and the EarthQuest developers had already plundered the Institute’s bank accounts for all that it was worth. So egregious was the theft of the public’s trust that, by the night of the great ball, the Institute was already bankrupted.

The Tribune has obtained copies of the federal tax returns for the Institute.

A diligent review of those records has produced a sordid tale of unbridled avarice; a story that will shock even the most cynical individual. Consider the following facts, all of which are taken directly from the federal tax returns of the Institute for the three-year period of 2008 – 2010:

The Institute received contributions totaling $996,667.

Don Holbrook, president of the Institute (and a consultant for EMCID and EarthQuest), received total compensation of $328,255.

Deborah Thomas, treasurer and secretary of the Institute (and an employee of Marlin-Atlantis), received total compensation of $218,993.

(Unbelievably, as stated in the tax returns, Holbrook only worked an average of 15 hours per week; Thomas, 20 hours per week).

Even more appalling, “professional fees” paid to “independent contractors” equaled $601,776. These fees were apparently paid to EarthQuest consultants, including those controlled by Don Holbrook.

Although contributions totaled $996,000 for the three-year period, the salaries and benefits paid to employees and consultants equaled $1,148,370, exceeding total contributions by more than $150,000.

And the forgoing figures don’t even consider “other” expenditures by the Institute's two employees. These “other” costs included $118,700 for “travel expenses,” and $37,479 for “information technology” among other things.

Consequently, on the night of the great ball, the Institute had a negative cash balance of $225,034. Hence, the prior statement that the Institute was bankrupt in December of 2009 was a factual, not a figurative, assertion.

But the story doesn’t end there, because it’s not easy to spend more money than one has in their bank account, unless they can borrow funds from another source. So how did the Institute spend more money than they had on hand? Simple. By borrowing $332,110 from an account payable, $222,018 of which was incurred in 2009.

Unfortunately, the tax returns do not indicate from whom the money was borrowed. Of course, the logical presumption would be EMCID (or one of its affiliates), as EMCID has been the primary benefactor of the Institute since its inception. In a ‘Memorandum of Understanding’ dated January 22, 2008, EMCID agreed to donate to the Institute $300,000 in 2008 alone. What other monies may have been given to the Institute by EMCID is unknown at this time....

At the EMCID town hall meeting on March 22, 2012, several questions were posed regarding the Institute. Those queries were largely deflected by board members, stating the Institute was completely separate of EMCID, that the Institute never had an office in the EMCID complex and that none of the EMCID board knew the current status of the Institute. But documents obtained by The Tribune appear to indicate that a very cozy relationship has long existed between the two entities.

Even though Frank McCrady stated at the town hall meeting that the Institute has never had an office at the EMCID complex, all of the federal tax returns mentioned in this article listed EMCID’s complex as the domicile of the Institute. Furthermore, the EarthQuest Institute’s website also lists the EMCID complex as its business address, even specifying Suite No. 200.

How separate is the Institute apart from EMCID? Leon Cubillas, chairman of the board of EMCID since July 8, 2004, has also been chairman of the board of the Institute since mid-2008. This dual representation would have ensured that both organizations were fully aware of each other’s activities.

Lastly, the claim by EMCID board members that they don’t know the current status of the Institute seems incomprehensible. First, the dual representation of Cubillas mentioned above makes such a statement implausible. Secondly, the board of EMCID had a fiduciary duty to ensure that its $300,000 in grants to the Institute were properly disbursed.

Sadly, in the final analysis, the Institute was cleaned out, and allowed to be cleaned out by the very persons entrusted with its mission and oversight.
    EarthQuest Institute received $500,000 from EMCID

Thursday, April 05, 2012

Geoffrey Geiger
    The Tribune has attempted to document the EarthQuest Institute's (EQI) history from its creation in February of 2008, and recent findings present several gaps in who is left in charge and how EQI funding was presented and used.

Here is the sequence of Tribune findings:

A request made to EarthQuest and development consultant Don Holbrook by another entity (read Soapboxmom), received a denial of current involvement with EQI by Holbrook on Feb. 28. Holbrook said he ceased his officialy employment after John Marlin, of Marlin-Atlantis and a director of EQI, was unable to meet financial obligations. Holbrook also denied knowledge of available access to any current financial records. However, this appears to be a contradiction to what EQI's accountant, Derek Ryan, told The Tribune on March 20 after an information request was made.

According to Ryan, Holbrook would not authorize Ryan & Company, PC from releasing any records to The Tribune. Although Ryan said EQI has not reported any activity to his firm since 2010.

A phone call and email to Holbrook were not returned. However, Holbrook wrote to another entity that “EarthQuest Institute has gone on hiatus from operations and fundraising,” which EQI Chairman and EMCID Chairman Leon Cubillas publicly confirmed on March 22.

Existing financial documents for EQI are presently at the EMCID building, according to EQI Science Officer Dr. Matthew Gardner. He claims they were shipped to the New Caney address following his resignation from the board in 2011. Gardner is listed as the principal officer for the organization, according to the IRS.

“You'll need to go to EMCID and talk to Frank McCrady,” Gardner told The Tribune.

EMCID President and CEO Frank McCrady denied Gardner's claim since the institute is a private corporation. McCrady emphatically stated that the institute did not have an office, nor a filing cabinet at the EMCID address, which is listed as the same physical address as EQI on its website. An information request sent to McCrady, Cubillas and EMCID attorney David Marks on Feb. 16 was met with the following response on March 12:

“Since the District is legally not affiliated … it has no control over its records and if request, would refuse to accept such responsibility for the records...” Marks wrote.

Don Lessem, one of the directors for EQI and the original proponent of EarthQuest, claimed that any documents could have been shipped to EMCID, but they would have to be forwarded to Holbrook. Lessem also mentioned that he has not been involved with EQI for well over a year.

Cubillas said he could not produce any knowledge of the whereabouts of any records, their accessibility nor a current director or employee roster for the institute when questioned on March 9 and March 22.

The only records The Tribune has obtained are tax returns (Form 990s) for 2008, 2009 and 2010 and documents relating to the formation of EQI, still in existence, according to records from The Texas Secretary of State. The tax returns, eventually found online through a nonprofit information website, GuideStar, consecutively list Holbrook, Cubillas, Gardner, Lessem, Marlin and Deborah Thomas as officers for EQI. Holbrook as President and CEO, Thomas as Treasurer, Cubillas as Chairman, Gardner as Science Officer, Lessem as Director and Marlin as Director. Only Holbrook, Thomas and Gardner received compensation from EQI. Holbrook received $272,333 in total compensation for those three reported years. Thomas received $203,018 in total, while Gardner was only compensated $25,000 in 2008. For 2009 and 2010, EQI listed $298,771 in land investment.

According to the formation filings through the Texas Secretary of State, EQI was formed on Feb. 28, 2008, and restated formation on Oct. 1, 2008. David Rosenberg, an attorney with Thompson & Knight, LLP, is the current registered agent. However, Rosenberg said he is in the process of resigning. According to Rosenberg, EQI ended a formal client relationship with him in 2009, yet he “forgot to resign.” Thomas was his primary contact with EQI, who is allegedly also not connected any longer, yet phone calls to confirm have not been returned.

The original certificate of formation lists Lessem, Cubillas and Austin attorney Daniel Matheson as the EQI directors. Matheson told The Tribune he originally signed, but did not conduct any role beyond that. According to him, Marlin and Lessem took more control over the direction of EQI.

The restated certificate, signed on Sept. 30, 2008 by Lessem, replaces Matheson with Marlin. The assumed name certificate was also signed on Sept. 30 by Lessem and notarized by Patricia Suzanne Parmer, the office administrator for EMCID.

Although Parmer notarized the certificate, the ties between EMCID and EQI remain unclear. The Tribune has been unable to establish a consistent or definite relationship between the two entities, as both McCrady and Cubillas maintained there is complete independence of the two, while Lessem claimed a direct relationship existed. Questions about funding from EMCID have been raised as well as much of the revenue is alleged to be from private donation....

On March 22, EMCID member Vickie Thumann said EMCID did contribute to EQI, but could not present a specific itemized amount, but assured it would be listed in EMCID records. Lessem confirmed that EMCID contributed to EQI during its early incorporation but could not recollect an exact amount, nor could he state whether it was a grant in one sum or through several contributions. Three available audits reflect EMCID expenditures on EarthQuest, but only year end schedules (June 30) for 2010 and 2011 display itemized EQI funding at $250,000 both times.

Those EMCID expenses on the 2008 and 2009 cash flow are:

$18,257.74 (Feb. 14, 2008) for Project Rex

$13,500 (March 24, 2008) to Holbrook Development Company for Project Rex

$5,000 (March 24, 2008) to Holbrook for EarthQuest

$24,250 (Aug. 14, 2008) wired to Project Rex

$1,383,036.86 (July 9, 2009) to Global EarthQuest Ventures, LP for a developer reimbursement

$386,223.61 (Aug. 26, 2009) to Global EarthQuest Ventures

$388,864.11 (Sept. 10, 2009) to Global EarthQuest Ventures

$111,937.15 (Oct. 2009) to Global EarthQuest Ventures

EQI Revenue and Expense Totals:

$305,098 revenue

$443,809 expenses

$470,652 revenue

$759,948 expenses

$220,917 revenue

$200,554 expenses

Holbrook Compensation Totals:

$82,500

$55,922 (contributions to employee benefit plans and deferred compensation)

$144,893

$44,940

Thomas Compensation Totals:

$19,500

$14,325 (contributions to employee benefit plans and deferred compensation)

$140,228

$43,290

*EMCID=East Montgomery County Improvement District

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Fantasy Land - Page 2 - News - Houston - Houston Press
    When Lessem's idea of a nonprofit was incorporated as the EarthQuest Institute, White sat back and let Marlin take the reins. But Marlin and Lessem clashed, as Marlin's hands-on activities allegedly included screaming in Lessem's face for no discernible reason.

When asked if Lessem felt that Marlin pressured him into resigning from the board, Lessem puts it like this: "He walks into a board meeting and says, 'I don't like the way you run the organization, you have to quit.'...I sensed a certain pressure in there, subtly...But ultimately, I felt I had to go along with it, because his support of the entire project was at that point vital." (Marlin could not be reached for comment; multiple calls to multiple extensions at Marlin Atlantis's office went straight to voice mail. The Press left messages with two of Marlin's bankruptcy attorneys, as well as his wife, who for some reason was surprised to hear that no one ever answers the phone at her husband's office.)

Lessem outlined his concern in a few letters to the EarthQuest Institute board. In one he wrote, "Not one person among us has significant national or local contacts among the business and personal philanthropic communities. None of us has the right kind of board experience for leading what was chartered as an international educational effort. None of us has been able to set this organization on the right course...We all need to remember that this is an organization we SERVE, not our fiefdom to control."

Marlin clearly felt that his development company should have a major stake in the Institute, which is why he installed a Marlin Atlantis employee named Deborah Thomas as chief financial officer. Her 2009 salary was listed on federal tax returns as $140,000 for a 20-hour workweek. Lessem says board members deferred half their salaries. (When reached on the phone by the Press, Thomas referred all questions to East Montgomery County Improvement District President Frank McCrady and declined to discuss her work with the Institute. She was just one of many current and erstwhile EarthQuest players, including McCrady, who either didn't want to comment for this story, or didn't want to admit that they once had something to do with EarthQuest).
    The EarthQuest Institute, which was originally going to be helped by $50 million from EMCID, is going to run and be financed as a nonprofit entity. The fundraising needed for the institute has yet to get underway, according to Michael Dimengo, the president of Sage Fundraising Solutions LLC. The firm, based out of Jacksonville, Fla., is in charge of raising the $80 to $100 million needed for the project.

“This is a huge green initiative with a study of the earth and its past,” Dimengo said. “We are just in the preliminary stages of the fundraising.”

Sage is in the process of identifying people for an advisory board to oversee the fundraising.

Lessem and his design team of more than 100 people are deep in the development phase for the institute. Lessem said they are in “a second phase of design to be finished in a month’s time.” Lessem hopes to have a website for the EarthQuest Institute up and running soon.
    EMCID loans top half million weeks before bankruptcy declared - Monday, April 16, 2012 - Copyright 2007 Ourtribune.com
    EMCID loans top half million weeks before bankruptcy declared

Monday, April 16, 2012
    Cynthia Calvert
    In the financial boondoggle that is EarthQuest, the avalanche of debt continues to pile up on the backs of resident taxpayers. It seems that under every rock researchers for The Tribune discover another trove of loans or financial irregularities heretofore unknown.

On April 4, 2012, The Tribune wrote an article detailing plundering of the EarthQuest Institute (the “Institute”) at the hands of various consultants and others representing the East Montgomery County Improvement District (“EMCID”) and/or the developers of EarthQuest. Although the previous article revealed that the Institute was little more than a convenient conduit utilized by EMCID to funnel tax dollars from the wallets of local citizens into the wallets

of EarthQuest employees and consultants, many other questions remained unanswered.

Without doubt, the investigative efforts of The Tribune in seeking answers to those inquiries have been hampered by EMCID itself. Although EMCID has strictly complied with The Tribune’s ‘freedom of information’ requests for documents, it routinely fails or refuses to answer questions concerning those same documents. This apparent stonewalling also extends to the minutes of EMCID. In the official minutes, the fact of a loan or disbursement may be recorded, but explanations as to ‘why or for what reason’ are often omitted. Subsequent inquiries as to the purpose for specific events are often ignored by the EMCID board and its counsel.

Nevertheless, continued perseverance has brought to light many new facts, allowing for several unanswered questions to now be addressed. The obvious first question to be answered is, How can EMCID publicly state that its board knows virtually nothing about the Institute?

At the recent town hall meeting March 22, Frank McCrady, president and CEO of EMCID, and Leon Cubillas, chairman of the EMCID board, made statements that the Institute was completely separate from EMCID, the Institute never had an office at the EMCID complex, the board doesn’t know the current status of the Institute, and, in fact, the board doesn’t know much of anything about the Institute. When local residents subsequently posed questions regarding the Institute, McCrady and Cubillas deftly employed the philosophy of the immortal Sgt. Shultz: “I hear nothing, I see nothing, I know nothing.”

But the cold, hard facts set forth in EMCID’s own records and financial audits paint a diametrically opposite picture. A picture that clearly illustrates the undeniable fact that the EMCID leadership and board heard everything, saw everything and knew everything. The simple reality is that EMCID and the Institute, in conjunction with EarthQuest, are all inextricably tied together.

For example, The Tribune in its prior story that the Institute received contributions totaling $996,000 for calendar years 2008-2010. Questions to specific EMCID board members as to how much of that amount came from EMCID resulted in vague and incomplete answers. Nevertheless, the certified public accounting firm of McCall, Gibson, Swedlund, Barfoot, PLLC, EMCID’s accounting and audit firm, knows exactly how much money EMCID has paid to the Institute. As stated in the annual, certified audits of EMCID for the fiscal years ending on June 30 of 2009-2011, EMCID made contributions to the

Institute/Project Rex totaling $880,875, with the total of all expenses to the Institute/Project Rex equaling $1,138,089. (Note: The Institute originated as Project Rex).

Thus, it appears that about 77 percent of the total contributions to the Institute came from EMCID, excluding an additional $257,214 in related expenses. If the EMCID board knew so little about the Institute, how did it become its principal benefactor, giving it more than $1,100,000? The incongruity of the board’s claim to ignorance, in light of the foregoing facts, is galling. But even more troubling than the board’s mass amnesia is the manner and method as to how EMCID apparently funneled “other,” additional monies into the Institute. Furthermore, these “other” monies appear to be outside the purview of EMCID, thereby escaping any mention in its annual audits. But it wasn’t just the Institute that benefitted from these “other” monies.

Not at all.

To be specific, The Tribune obtained copies of three, unsecured loans totaling $295,000, the proceeds of which were paid to the Institute. The dates and amounts of those loans are as follows: December 18, 2008 - $120,000; March 10, 2009 - $75,000; and May 14, 2009 -$100,000. The Tribune also received copies of loan documents for a fourth unsecured loan, in the amount of $225,000 on May 23, 2011. The recipient of these loan proceeds was none other than Whitestone Houston Land, Ltd. (“Whitestone”), the legal owner of the EarthQuest land. The very same Whitestone that declared bankruptcy just 10 weeks after the loan was made.

None of the above loans have any scheduled payments or guarantors. The purpose of the loans is not stated in the documents or corporate minutes obtained by The Tribune. Furthermore, EMCID has refused to answer all questions posed by The Tribune as to the original purpose of the loans. But the most puzzling fact of all is that none of the above loans, with an aggregate total of $520,000, were made by EMCID. Without any explanation, all four loans were originated through the East Montgomery County Economic Development Corporation (“EMCEDC”). Which begs the question: “Who and what is the EMCEDC?”

Although the EMCEDC board is composed mostly of current EMCID board members (Cubillas, Isidor Ybarra, Vickie Thumann, Leonard Rodgers along with local hotelier Philippe Cras), the EMCEDC is a separate legal entity, distinct from EMCID. EMCEDC’s organizational documents clearly state that it is an independent, charitable corporation, organized in 2006, being registered with the IRS under E.I.N No. 202289201.

Since EMCEDC does not have any legal connection to EMCID, the EMCID audits make no comments or contain any information regarding EMCEDC. Accordingly, the EMCEDC obtains it own annual audits, copies of which have been obtained by The Tribune. So what possible motivation was there for EMCEDC, an organization totally independent of EMCID, to fund four, unsecured loans, totaling $520,000, for EMCID clients? Was EMCEDC used as a corporate shield by EMCID to “hide” the existence of the loans from public scrutiny? Did EMCID coerce EMCEDC into making these loans in a desperate attempt to save its own failed project? Only EMCID can answer those questions, and they’re not talking.

And even if some plausible reason might be found to justify the funneling of loans through EMCEDC, why would any organization make a $225,000 unsecured loan to an entity (i.e. Whitestone) a mere two months before it filed for bankruptcy? Especially since EMCID, Contour Entertainment and Don Holbrook all knew that Whitestone was planning to declare bankruptcy months before the above loan was made? (See note below).

Quite frankly, EMCEDC literally threw away $225,000 on the very day the loan was made, with no hope of ever being repaid. The remaining three loans will almost assuredly await the same fate. What impact will there be on EMCEDC when it is forced to write off the $520,000, plus accrued interest, because these loans will be deemed uncollectible? Of course, none of the foregoing indebtedness has ever previously been disclosed to the public until now. Therefore, another $520,000 must be added to the almost $11 million that EMCID has already spent on EarthQuest (before considering future interest charges in excess of $10 million).

And so the saga continues. Another rock, another half a million dollars lost. The enigma that EarthQuest has become defies any logical explanation. It is a train wreck in the making, an event that threatens the credibility, if not the viability, of EMCID itself.

(NOTE: The Tribune obtained an e-mail thread dating back to May of 2011. Therein are several parties discussing the Whitestone bankruptcy as if it were a past event, even though the bankruptcy petition was not filed until August 1, 2011).

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

So how did scammer white snake out of all this or was he not really involved as he made it out to be to sell his snake oil?