LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 21 of 26 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut and paste snippets about scams.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cut and paste snippets about scams.

Credit card scam alert: Mysterious $9.84 charges appearing on accounts
    By Gitte Laasby of the Journal Sentinel
    Jan. 30, 2014

If a strange, unauthorized charge of $9.84 appears on your credit card from a website you don't recognize, it may be the "$9.84 scam."

Since December, hundreds of consumers nationwide have complained in forums online about seeing unauthorized charges on their credit and debit card accounts from a website they've never heard of — typically for $9.84.

So far, no one knows how the scammers obtained their credit card information. Because the first complaints came in December, shortly after the Target data breach, some consumers speculate that the credit card fraud is related to the data breach. Others suspect Amazon accounts may have been hacked.

Neither appears likely because some victims say they never shopped at Target, and Amazon has not reported any hacking or data breach.

Complainants say the unauthorized charges were listed as stemming from an unknown website — most commonly EETsac.com but also TDWcs.com, IEWcs.com, CEWcs.com, SEWcs.com, IAWcs.com, FEOsac.com and CWEBcs.com.

The websites are identical except for the company name. They consist of only a single, generic-looking page that claims to offer "customer support," but there are no links to any services. The sites just promise full refunds to customers, stating, "If for some reason you are not fully satisfied we will refund 100% of your last payment."

Consumers said when they called the phone numbers listed to get a refund, the customer service reps seem to represent continuing education companies with a London address and sometimes claim the charges are for such services.

The Better Business Bureau sent out an alert Tuesday about the so-called "$9.84 scam," warning consumers to be on the lookout for unauthorized charges on their credit cards. The organization suspects the small charges could be a trial balloon for other and bigger charges to come later. Some victims have already seen more than one charge, one for $9.84 and one for a few cents.

The first complaints surfaced online in December, but complaints are now pouring in to governmental agencies.

Frank Dorman, a spokesman for the Federal Trade Commission, said the agency has received 50 complaints on the $9.84 scam since Jan. 1, but said he could not elaborate on whether the agency is investigating.

A spokesman for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection said the state has not received any complaints from Wisconsin consumers. Neither had the Better Business Bureau of Wisconsin, but an investigator said she expects complaints could start rolling in any day given the widespread nature of the scam.

According to the Public Investigator's investigation, the $9.84 scam appears to originate in Britain and involve a ring of connected websites, most of which point back to the same IP address hosted in Texas:

■ TDWcs.com, phone number (855) 531-1088.

■ IEWcs.com, phone number (855) 531-1089: Appears affiliated with Education Course Pro Affiliate Learning System.

■ CEWcs.com, phone number (855) 531-1090.

■ SEWcs.com, phone number (855) 531-1091.

■ IAWcs.com, phone number (855) 531-1092.

■ EETsac.com, phone number (855) 531-1093: Appears affiliated with Premium Insider Education Affiliate Learning System and possibly Premium Insider Education Pro Learning System.

■ (Unknown).com, phone number (855) 531-1094.

■ FEOsac.com, phone number (855) 531-1095.

■ CWEBcs.com, phone number (855) 531-1096.

Many consumers said when they called, they were put on hold for a while. Some then got disconnected. Many who get through are first told — despite the company's promise to refund the full amount — that they can receive only a partial refund of 50% to 60%.

The BBB encourages people to cancel their credit card, regardless of whether the scammers promised them a refund. They said the small amounts may be a way for scammers to test whether the account is valid without the victim noticing.

"Scammers are banking on the fact that many consumers don't check their credit card statements all that carefully," the BBB said in its alert.

The BBB encouraged consumers who discover even small unauthorized charges to report them to their credit card company and to police, saying scammers bank on credit card companies not going after such small fraudulent amounts. More information on how to dispute credit card charges is available on FTC's website.

Consumers whose credit card is lost, stolen or used without their permission may be responsible for charges up to $50. If you report the loss of the card before it is used by someone else, you're not responsible for any unauthorized charges.

The FTC encouraged people to file complaints because it helps the agency identify and prosecute the scammers. Consumers can file a complaint with the FTC at (877) 382-4357 or www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov.

For more consumer stories, viral stories, scam alerts, tips and the occasional freebie, visit the Public Investigator blog at Public Investigator - JSOnline.

Facebook: fb.me/GitteLaasbyPage

Twitter: @GitteLaasbyMJS

Public Investigator - Credit card scam alert: Mysterious $9.84 charges appearing on accounts
    "It's virtually impossible to violate rules ... but it's impossible for a violation to go undetected, certainly not for a considerable period of time." Bernie Madoff
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scam-...98399986981403

Post Thanks / Like

Latest News
    Be On The Lookout For The “One Ring” Cell Phone Scam
    By: Alyssa Marsico January 30, 2014 7:52 PM

PITTSBURGH (NewsRadio1020 KDKA) – The Better Business Bureau is warning cell phone users of a new scam that can cost you a lot of money. They are calling it the “one ring” scam.

In this one, the scammer programs a computer called autodialers to call thousands of phone numbers, ring once then disconnect. They do this in hopes that the owner of the phone calls back the number to see who it is, usually they report they hear music, advertising messages or adult entertainment services.

President of the Better Business Bureau of Western Pennsylvania Warren King joins KDKA Radio’s Bill Rehkopf on the KDKA Afternoon News.

“This is kind of a new twist to an old scam called the 809 scam; 809 is the area code that used to be used by the Caribbean Islands,” says King. “What happens is these numbers look like a number that may be somewhere in the United States when in fact they are overseas and they are overpriced international calls.”

King says they are bypassing the consumer protection laws by using these numbers and charging the fees to your cell phone bill. You can be charged $20 for the initial international call, then $9 for every minute you stay connected after that.

For those of you thinking this has to be illegal! Well you are right, to an extent. King says that since there is no legal action that can be taken it is up to us to be aware and spread the word.

“What’s happening is that its difficult for regulatory agencies and consumer protection laws to protect us because these are entities that are overseas. So again its up to the consumer to recognize this is something that could happen to them. You know if your not familiar with the phone number you see on your cell phone then you can always Google it, find out where the area code is that will help you,” King said.

If you think you have been a victim of this “one ring” scam, you are to contact your cell phone provider to let them know what has happened and monitor your phone bills.

Be On The Lookout For The “One Ring” Cell Phone Scam « CBS Pittsburgh
    "It's virtually impossible to violate rules ... but it's impossible for a violation to go undetected, certainly not for a considerable period of time." Bernie Madoff

Post Thanks / Like

Is this scam email the worst Nigerian-type scam of all?

THEY'RE the scourge of the internet (well, as well as cat videos and angry conversations about chemtrails) - but surely this Nigerian scam email has to be the worst.

Not only does it claim to come from the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Ban Ki-moon, himself - but it has the audacity to offer monetary compensation FOR SCAMS.

No, you didn't win a lottery you didn't enter this time. And no, someone isn't trying to smuggle gold out of a strange African country by using your bank account.

You can receive $300,000 - US - for being scammed. From the United Nations, no less. Who just finished a seven-month-long meeting period to agree to this mass-cash payout to the entire duped world. And no proof required!

But it gets better. Are you a foreign contractor that hasn't been paid? Then here's $300,000, from the UN. Did your international bank transaction just fail? Don't worry, the UN has $300k just for you.

Or maybe your international business failed because of "Government problems etc"? You're up for a handy slice of UN cash too.

There are a few different versions of this one floating about - and have been for years - but this one at least spells the name of the UN Secretary-General correctly.

And no, it doesn't actually come from Nigeria. This one allegedly comes from Benin, a small African country. Right next to Nigeria. It does, however, reference one Gwen Abiola Oloke, who Google suggests is the boss of a bank in Nigeria.

Also, this could be the first time an email address actually includes a person's honorific - the 'Mrs' in Mrs Gwen Abiola Oloke is PART of her email.

The full, unedited text of the scam is below.

Attn:

How are you today and hope all is well with you and your family?You may not understand why this mail has been sent to you but i will implore you to take your time to carefully go through this mail.

We have had meetings for the pass 7 months which ended 4 days ago at our office head quarters in New York(UNITED NATIONS). This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world,the UNITED NATION has agreed to compensate them adequately with the sum of US$300,000.

This includes every foreign contractor that has not received their contract sum and people that have had unfinished transactions as regards

international bank transfers or international businesses that failed due to Government problems etc.

We found your name on our list and that is why we are contacting you.This has been agreed upon and has been signed. You are advised to contact Mrs. Gwen Abiola Oloke of ZENITH BANK Benin Republic PLC as she is our representative in Benin Republic, contact her immediately for your Cheque/International Bank Draft of USD$ 300,000.

This funds are in a Bank Draft for security purpose,so she will send it to you and you can clear it at any bank of your choice.

Therefore you must ensure to send her your full Name and telephone number current mailing address as regards receiving your draft.

Contact:Mrs. Gwen Abiola Oloke immediately for your Cheque:

Person to Contact Mrs. Gwen Abiola Oloke

Email: mrsgwenabiolaoloke@accountant.com

Thanks and God bless you and your family.Hoping to hear from you as soon as you cash your Bank Draft.

Making the world a better place.

Regards,

Ban Ki-moon

Secretary-General(UNITED NATIONS)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

SCAMMER Gracemailer5050@yahoo.com

Since giving money away is so hard, and you have so much time to email when terminally ill.

I AM MRS.GRACE MAILER.A WIDOW TO LATE JOHN MAILER .I AM 70 YEARS OLD, I AM NOW A NEW CHRISTIAN CONVERT, SUFFERING FROM LONGTIME CANCER OF THE BREAST, FROM ALL INDICATION MY CONDITIONS IS REALLY DETERIORATING AND IT IS QUITE OBVIOUS THAT I WONT LIVE MORE THAN SIX MONTHS,ACCORDING TO MY DOCTORS,THIS IS BECAUSE THE CANCER STAGE HAS GOTTEN TO A VERY BAD STAGE. MY LATE HUSBAND KILLED DURING THE U.S. RAID AGAINST TERRORISM AFGHANISTAN,AND DURING THE PERIOD OF OUR MARRIAGE WE COULDN'T PRODUCE ANY CHILD.MY LATE HUSBAND WAS VERY WEALTHY AND AFTER HIS DEATH,I INHERITED ALL HIS BUSINESS AND WEALTH. THE DOCTORS HAS ADVISED ME THAT I MAY NOT LIVE FOR MORE THAN SIX MONTHS, SO I NOW DECIDED TO DIVIDE THE PART OF THIS WEALTH, TO CONTRIBUTE TO THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE CHURCH IN AFRICA, AMERICA ASIA,AND EUROPE. I PRAYED OVER IT.

I AM WILLING TO DONATE THE SUM OF $5,000.000.00 MD U.S DOLLARS, TO THE LESS PRIVILEGED.PLEASE I WANT YOU TO NOTE THAT FUND IS LYING IN A BANK IN SWISS AND UPON MY INSTRUCTION, MY ATTORNEY, WHO PRESENTLY IS IN AFRICA DISTRIBUTING RELIEF MATERIALS , WILL FILE IN AND APPLICATION FOR THE TRANSFER OF THE MONEY IN YOUR NAME. LASTLY,I HONESTLY PRAY THAT THIS MONEY WHEN TRANSFERRED! WILL BE SURE FOR THE SAID PURPOSE,BECAUSE I HAVE COME TO FIND OUT THAT WEALTH ACQUISITION WITHOUT CHRIST IS VANITY.

MAY THE GRACE OF OUR LORD JESUS THE LOVE OF GOD AND THE FELLOWSHIP OF GOD BE WITH YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.Please i will like you to contact my
    private email address for better explanation (Gracemailer5050@yahoo.com)

I AWAIT URGENT REPLY.

GOD BLESS YOU
    MRS.GRACE MAILER.

Post Thanks / Like

The Army’s official website is "MyArmyBenefits" at myarmybenefits.us.army.mil.

“Official military websites will all have the .mil domain name,” BBB Military Line Director Brenda Linnington said in the release. “Any other domain extension should be a red flag.

The U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command wants to clarify a press release that was issued Thursday, to help avoid any possible confusion regarding a false website and the official U.S. Army benefits website for former and current service members.

In yesterday's announcement, CID accurately released that a website claiming to be an official U.S. Army benefits website, using the web address www.usmilitarybenifit.org, is NOT an official U.S. Army website and it is not affiliated, nor endorsed in any way by the U.S. Army.

The official "MyArmyBenefits" website can be found at MyArmyBenefits | The Official Army Benefits Website. This is the authorized U.S. Army benefits website and serves as the go-to source for all benefits and services available and continues to successfully assist Soldiers and their families. Soldiers and former service members are required to use either their CAC or AKO login information to access the official website. As a reminder, the official site ends with ".mil."

According to CID Special Agents, the primary purpose of the bogus website is to collect as many U.S. Army service members' Army Knowledge Online (AKO) email accounts and passwords. The bogus website also makes the false claim of that "The US military has granted access to unclaimed and accumulated army benefits for the under listed active duty soldiers. Benefits not claimed within the stipulated period will be available for claims after 60 months."

CID strongly recommends that Soldiers, Department of the Army civilians, Army retirees and family members avoid this website and ignore any information or claims posted on the site.

Most online scam attempts are easily recognizable as they are usually unsolicited emails or texts; hoax websites that contain misspelled words, punctuation and grammatical errors, and often ask for private information, such as an individual's email address and password.
    Cyber-crime and internet fraud presents unique challenges to U.S. law enforcement agencies as criminals have the ability to mask their true identities, locations and cover their tracks quickly. Websites and accounts can easily be established and deleted in very little time, allowing scam artists to strike, and then disappear before law enforcement can respond.
    The ability of law enforcement to identify these perpetrators is very limited, so individuals must stay on the alert and be personally responsible to protect both themselves and their loved ones.

CID strongly recommends that Soldiers, civilians and family members who receive any suspicious and/or unsolicited emails should delete them immediately without response.
    However, if you have provided any information to the My Army Benefits website or have received any correspondence from the website, take the following steps:

DO NOT LOGIN TO THE WEBSITE
    DO NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAILS
    STOP all contact if you have previously responded to any emails.
    IMMEDIATELY CONTACT your local Information Assurance (IA) office if you accessed the website from a government computer or system.

Other cyber-crime resources available are:

Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3): Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

Federal Trade Commission: spam@uce.gov

By reporting this cybercrime one can assist law enforcement agencies in their investigations and help bring those responsible to justice. For more information regarding cyber crime and staying safe online, visit the CID Lookout or the Computer Crimes Investigative Unit (CCIU) webpage page at U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command.

CID Lookout is a U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command (USACIDC) initiative to partner with the Army community by providing a conduit for members of the Army family, to help prevent, reduce and report felony-level crime.

The USACIDC, commonly known as CID, is an independent criminal investigative organization that investigates serious, felony-level crime such as murder, rape, sexual assault, robbery, arson, fraud, and even cyber crime or intrusions into the Army networks (see CID Cyber Lookout).

Solving and preventing these types of crime cannot be achieved solely by CID Special Agents and the Military Police. Together, professional law enforcement officers and the Army community must work hand-in-hand to fight serious crime. As such, CID is On Point for the Army and depends heavily on Soldiers, family members and civilian employees to Be On The Lookout and provide assistance in keeping the Army Strong and safe.

CID Lookout provides the latest information to the Army community aimed at helping Soldiers protect themselves, their families and to reduce their chances of becoming crime victims.
    For more information on CID or to report a felony-level crime or provide information concerning a crime, contact your local CID Office or the Military Police, or visit U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Command.

Post Thanks / Like

The Scam Of All Scams: Sucker Lists
    Caroline Mayer Caroline Mayer, Contributor

Once a sucker, always a sucker.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the current thinking of today’s con artists who, according to a new survey, are specifically targeting consumers who’ve already fallen victim to a scam. Below, I’ll explain how this fraud works, so neither you nor your parents get fleeced.

Known as “refund and recovery scams,” these sucker list schemes are not only new to the recently released annual Top Scams list from the National Consumers League‘s fraud center, Fraud.org. They’re also the fastest growing non-Internet fraud.

How the ‘Sucker List’ Scam Works

Here’s the gambit: Scammers buy, sell and trade lists of consumers who’ve fallen for a phone, mail or email scam. The fraudsters then use these lists to call or mail those victims, claiming they can help recover their lost money for a fee. In reality, says Fraud.org, the sales pitch is just another scam designed to get even more money from these folks.

“The pitch varies from scammer to scammer, but it’s usually something like, ‘I know you’ve lost money and I’m going to help you get it back,’” says John Breyault, NCL’s Vice President of Public Policy, Telecommunications and Fraud and manager of the group’s Fraud.org campaign.

Given the rapid increase in complaints this year, Breyault adds, it’s clear that scammers have become “more networked and organized buying, selling and trading these lists.” Translation: “If you’ve been defrauded once, chances are you’ll be getting phone calls from more scammers,” says Breyault.

So how do you avoid getting on the sucker list? Breyault has a three-word answer: “Trust no one. If you get an unsolicited call asking for sensitive personal information, never give it out.”

(MORE: Lowdown on Scams, Schemes and Swindles)

And if you have been a fraud victim, consider changing your telephone number. You’ll then avoid getting contacted by con artists who found you on a sucker’s list. “Short of disconnecting your phone, it may be the only way to stop some of these calls,” Breyault says.

Other Disturbing Findings

Fraud.org’s new scams list, based on more than 8,000 complaints filed in 2013, has some other disturbing findings as well, including a sharp increase in telemarketing scams.

Until last year, the largest percentage of scam complaints cited the Internet as the original point of contact. But in 2013, according to the report, “the most frequent way scammers approached consumers was over the telephone,” accounting for more than one-third of complaints.

Breyault suspects this is partly due to the prevalence of the lottery/sweepstakes scam. That’s the one where telemarketers call, saying you’ve won the lottery or a sweepstakes and that the money can yours if you pay a fee (often hundreds of dollars or more). “There are no winnings,” Breyault says.

Also contributing to the rise of telemarketing scams: con artists’ growing ability to use computers to call thousands of consumers in a short period of time and at a very small expense. The telemarketers often trick Caller IDs into showing the calls are made by legitimate concerns

Page 2 of 2

You’ve probably heard of this tactic, called “spoofing.” As a result, Breyault says, “You can’t trust your Caller ID anymore.”

Better Business Bureaus’ Scams List

Indeed. The Better Business Bureau’s just-released list of Top 10 scams includes the “arrest warrant scam,” which uses spoofing. Here, con artists’ calls look like they’re coming from sheriffs of other law enforcement agencies. The fraudsters say there’s a warrant for your arrest, but you can pay a fine to avoid the charges. Of course, these “police” don’t take credit cards; “only a wire transfer or prepaid debit card will do,” the BBB says.

Breyault worries that spoofing may become a more serious problem in the months ahead as fraudsters exploit data break-ins such as the recent breach at Target. He says he wouldn’t be surprised to hear about telemarketers pretending to be from Target calling consumers to confirm their financial data by giving out their Social Security numbers or bank or credit-card accounts.

Friendship and Romance Scams

Since Valentine’s Day just passed, you may have also heard about friendship and romance scams. In those, con artists initiate relationships through online dating sites and then become friendly with potential victims through email correspondence. Eventually, the fraudsters ask for money, claiming an emergency, such as a stolen wallet or sick relative. Or they may ask for airfare to meet the victim. More often than not, once a request is met, others follow.

According to the NCL report, these scams account for a relatively small number of complaints (less than 1.5% in 2012 and 2013). But, Breyault notes, they are the most expensive, with the average per-victim loss at $13,000 in 2013. “Love is the most powerful emotion we have,” Breyault says, “so it’s easy to see how a scammer can use that to gain somebody’s confidence and how it can result in a lot of losses.”

One Piece of Good News

Amid all the bad news, the NCL report has one small sliver of good news: Consumers falling for scams are increasingly paying by credit card. Unlike wire transfers, credit card payments can be challenged — and refunded — so consumers may be able to get their money back. “With a wire transfer, once the money’s gone, it’s gone for good,” Breyault says.

3 Ways to Stay Safe

Since con artists are growing more devious, here are three ways you and your parents can stay safe:

1. Always be wary. If a telemarketer calls, never give out personal information unless you’re sure the query is legitimate. Look up the phone number for the company allegedly making the request (don’t call back the number on Caller ID). Then contact that firm to make sure the request is legitimate.

2. Use a credit card if you’ll be paying someone you don’t know. This way, you’ll have an opportunity to dispute the charge and have the debt forgiven if it’s bogus.

3. Report any suspicious activity. “These guys will never stop unless people report a crime,” says Breyault. Filing a complaint at Fraud.org is a good place to start, he adds, since its information is shared with more than 90 consumer-protection and law enforcement agencies.

Caroline Mayer is a consumer reporter who spent 25 years working for The Washington Post. Follow her on Twitter @consumermayer.

The Scam Of All Scams: Sucker Lists - Forbes

Post Thanks / Like

JTMT got me thinking with this, http://www.realscam.com/f37/ftc-take...-finally-2988/ and have addressed Boiler Rooms before. Few current links way at the bottom, but this is a pretty big scam, despite all the do not call lists.

My position is never give money to people who call on the phone, from the "charities" to the 'brokers". While the movie pitch below seems outrageous, more often than not the boiler room operators suck victims in with a small investment in something legitimate. Buy some Microsoft, or Walmart, anything to get you in the door. Or the Ponzi route, where they get a small amount of cash and then immediately provide you with a return. The goal of course is to get your money and trust, then the shady deals get pitched.

Making movies in Hollywood costs a lot of money, so film producers are often looking for investors to bankroll what they hope will be a blockbuster.

CBS News has learned some Hollywood producers are using telemarketers to cold call Americans, convincing them to make risky investments.

Law enforcement tells CBS News it's a widespread fraud worth hundreds of millions of dollars over more than a decade, and CBS News has now spoken to more than a hundred investors who never saw their money again after sending a check to a voice on the phone.

Investors falling prey to Hollywood movie scam

Bette Anderson remembers the day her phone rang at her house in Minnesota. She says the voice on the other end offered her a guaranteed way to make money, investing in movies. "They just prey on your hopes and dreams," she said.

Asked if she thought she had stumbled across a pretty good deal, Anderson said, "Oh yeah. After having been laid off my job of 26 years, it provided some hope again for me. I just thought this was going to save my life, basically."

Instead, however, she said, "it destroyed it."

She was sent a professionally produced documents with the names of famous writers and actors and was told she could make $1.5 million. In total, Anderson said she invested $315,000, and got nothing back.

It wasn't hard for CBS News producers to find people offering movie investments over the phone.

Other investors receiving telemarketing calls put CBS News in touch with Gene Richards. CBS News set up a meeting in Los Angeles, which was shot on hidden cameras. Richards wanted us to invest $35,000 in a horror film called "Corbin's List."

He gave a movie trailer and a brochure, which said actors Ray Liotta and Megan Fox were reading the script.

Asked by CBS News producer Pat Milton if Liotta would be in the movie, Richards said, "Yeah. Yeah. Uh-huh."

Asked if he'd already signed on to it, Richards said, "He's signed on. And we're in negotiations with Megan Fox, as well."

Asked by a Milton what happens if the movie flops -- if there would be any return, Richards said, "Yeah. Even if it flops you'll -- you double your money."

At that point in the conversation, CBS News' Ben Tracy confronted Richards and after introducing himself, the two had the following exchange:
    TRACY: "So you were talking to Pat here. And -- I heard you say that -- even if this movie's a flop you could basically guarantee doubling or tripling her money?"

RICHARDS: "No, no. I didn't say guarantee. I said we're not allowed to say 'guarantee'."

TRACY: "So if we called -- if we called Ray Liotta today he would verify that he's attached to this film?"

RICHARDS: "You would have to talk to his management company."

TRACY: "Yeah, we could do that?"

RICHARDS: "Uh-huh (affirm)."

Representatives for Liotta and Fox told us they've never heard of Gene Richards, or his film.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Ellyn Lindsay said that "what makes it illegal, is that the investment is sold through lies."

Lindsay has prosecuted 18 people for movie investment fraud. She said even though Richards did not use the word "guarantee," the fraud is in the lies, omissions, and misrepresentations.

"When you minimize the risk, when you lie about the amount of money that's actually going to make the movie, when you lie about the percentage of proceeds that will go back to the investor. That, then, becomes a fraud," she said.

CBS News also connected with the man who convinced Anderson to invest. He sent two associates to meet with CBS News, hoping we'd hand over a $100,000 check for a horror film called "The Animal Among Us."

Jonathan Murphy was optimistic about the potential for our investment. "Well, with -- with what I told you, 500 percent domestically to 1,200 percent, let's split that and go 700 percent return on a $100,000 investment. You're looking at -- you just made $600,000," he said.

Cara Kidwell told CBS News producers she helped produce two films -- "Spring Break '83," starring John Goodman, which was shot more than six years ago, but has not been released, and "What Love Is," starring Cuba Gooding Jr, released in 2007.

CBS News Investigates: Hollywood movie producers
    Kidwell said investors actually doubled their return. She said to CBS News' Milton, "I remember the first check that rolled in was for a unit, and that project was $30,000, OK. ... And then all of a sudden the money started coming in and everybody got really quiet, really happy, and wanted to clink champagne glasses on the red carpet premiere."

Milton said, "Cause how much did they get back?"

Kidwell said, "I'm not in accounting, so I don't know. I was a producer on it."

Investors told CBS News they've never seen a dime of a return from "What Love Is."

Ben Tracy entered and introduced himself.

TRACY: "They were told up front that they were likely to make money off of this, and they haven't. So what do you say to those people?"

KIDWELL: "Well, you know what? Why don't I do this? Why don't I connect you directly with Big Sky Motion Pictures, which was the company that actually produced that hired me? And then you can ask them -- all the questions you want and they can give you the direct answers to it."

TRACY: "Big Sky Motion Pictures is a company you've worked for?"

KIDWELL: "Yes. Big Sky Motion Pictures."

TRACY: "Okay, are you aware that Big Sky Motion Pictures and Spring Break '83 Productions have several cease-and-desist orders against them for soliciting these kinds of investments?"

KIDWELL: "No, I don't believe....they do."

Kidwell told us she felt the producers aren't at fault -- it was the marketing firm they hired that might have done things the wrong way.

But CBS News found public records that show Kidwell has been paid by the marketing firm that Big Sky used to raise money for their films. And investors gave us documents listing Cara Kidwell as director of partner relations for Big Sky. She even issued tax forms to investors so they could write off their losses, directly contradicting her claim to our producers that investors doubled their money.

Both Kidwell and Big Sky's chief executive officer Mars Callahan declined CBS News' request for a sit-down interview.

Joel Craft says he sold thousands of investor names and phone numbers to Big Sky. He's been indicted for selling telemarketing leads to other Hollywood production companies that defrauded investors. "They are professional money raisers, they are not professional film producers," he said.

"It's a glorified telemarketing operation. I would say several hundred investors invested in Big Sky," he said. "They did produce the films, but unfortunately none of the investors have seen their money back."

Bette Anderson's investment cost her life's savings and likely her home. "It's not what I had planned for my life. I didn't expect to be in this place at this stage of my life. So, uh, yeah it's been devastating," she said.

CBS News did get a response from Kidwell via email. She told CBS News she thought our producer was an accredited investor, and that the documents she sent us clearly state that investing in movies is high-risk. However, law enforcement sources tell CBS News that it's still fraud if lies are told and key omissions are made when the investment is pitched to people over the phone or in person.

So what should you do if you get a call from a telemarketer? Tracy said on "CBS This Morning," "You have to ask lots of questions. You got to ask these people about their past projects. Ask to see the financials from those projects. And then, get an accountant or a financial adviser involved and bottom-line, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is."

Hollywood producers' telemarketing practices defrauding people by hundreds of millions, law enforcement says - CBS News

https://www.euroweeklynews.com/news/...ler-room-scams

‘Don’t let boiler room scammers get away with it’ - The Scotsman

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently don't be a punter with your cash before doing your homework. On the second link, this appears to be the SECOND time he was caught running a fraud. Its no secret I don't like giving my family money to other folks to "look after", but even if that seems like nonsense, surely a background check on the person asking for a check would be prudent.

Former Texas All-American and NFL kicker and punter Russell Erxleben was sentenced Monday to more than seven years in federal prison for running an illegal investment scam that netted $2 million.

Prosecutors said Erxleben scammed investors from 2005 to 2009 with fraudulent deals that promoted dealing in post-World War I German government bonds and a work of art purportedly by French painter Paul Gauguin.

Former Texas Kicker Erxleben Sentenced In Investment Scam « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

It will be Erxleben's second stint in federal prison. He was sentenced in 1999 to seven years for a scam that robbed investors of $36 million.

Erxleben, 57, holds the Texas record for longest field goal at 67 yards. He was a first-round draft pick by the New Orleans Saints in 1979.

Former New Orleans Saints punter Russell Erxleben gets 7 years in prison for investment scam | NOLA.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tax season is here, and the IRS is warning about a major scam that's hitting Metro Atlanta.

This scam has been circulating for a couple of months. It originated on the west coast and has made its way to the southeast.

Scam artists call unsuspecting tax payers, pretending to be the IRS and demand money.

Shauna Kaler of Gainesville got the call two days after she filed her taxes this year.

She received an automated message indicating the IRS had urgent business with her and that she needed to call back immediately.

"So I called them back and they gave me their spiel, that they're an officer, gave me their badge, supposedly their badge number, all this stuff and they said that I was fraudulent on my income tax for the last 3 years," said Kaler.

She was alarmed because the person on the line sounded extremely legit.

"They sounded very professional at the beginning and they tell you they're looking for so and so...your name, they know the last four digits of your social security number and your address."

The scammer asked her for $800 in back taxes. They wanted her to wire it via Western Union right away. When she refused, she says the caller's tone changed.

"They were adamant on me, do you have an attorney? You need to get an attorney because you owe this. Otherwise you will be arrested. I mean they make it, they're very...I know it scared me enough to call you guys (Fox 5)," said Kaler.

She hung up, and called her accountant, just to be sure. "And she told me I was actually the 2nd person to call her here in the Gainesville area with the same phone call from the same number."

Kaler looked up the number that she had just dialed on the Internet. She found a slew of complaints other people had lodged against the same number with the same spiel.

Mark Green with the IRS says they are aware of the scam and he says it's extremely sophisticated.

"This scam unfortunately has victimized a number of individuals," Green said.

"This scam has a little twist to it because technology has provided the scam artists a way of indicating on your caller ID that the call is actually coming from the Internal Revenue Service."

Green says the scammers threaten to arrest the victim if they refuse to pay. Or in many cases, they threaten deportation. Green says the scammers tend to target elderly tax payers or communities with high populations of recent immigrants.

Green says there are victims in Toccoa, Columbus, Gainesville, and Atlanta.

"If you receive a telephone call from the Internal Revenue Service stating that you owe money, simply hang up. Know that this is a scam. The Internal Revenue Service does not, I repeat, does not solicit by telephone, text or email personal information." The IRS generally does business via U.S. Mail.

The phone number that the scam originated from (in Shauna Kaler's case) is 716-202-0659.The IRS is investigating trying to find the source of the scam.

If you get a similar call, they want you to call your local police and then report it to the IRS.

Read more: IRS warns of widespread scams - Atlanta News, Weather, Traffic, and Sports | FOX 5
    Follow us: @FOX5Atlanta on Twitter | FOX5Atlanta on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

This can't be stressed enough in my mind, if giving your money to someone else to invest, it MUST be held in a bank or brokerage where the balance and access to the funds can be handled by you. If the only access to statements and funds is through the adviser themselves, a huge unnecessary risk and potential for fraud occurs. Don't care how great they are on the radio.

Add on comment:
    In the underlined below, this adviser and her pal claimed to be doing Hard Money Loans. While this is a legitimate business, it is also rife with scams. If looking at a portfolio of hard money loans, I would want to independently verify the liens on file at the courthouse. Better be in first position and have equity built in case of foreclosure. To just write a check and wait for your 12% is very dangerous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_money_loan

Former Monterey radio host found guilty in Ponzi scheme

By VIRGINIA HENNESSEY, Monterey Herald
    Posted: 02/25/2014 11:04:32 AM PST | Updated: about 24 hours ago

Once a respected investment adviser in Monterey, former radio host Barbra Alexander faces federal prison time after a jury convicted her of 28 felony counts involving a $4 million Ponzi scheme that collapsed in 2010.

After a two-week trial and more than four days of deliberations in San Jose district court, the verdict clears the way for a civil trial by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, which is seeking restitution for Alexander's victims who believed they were investing in secured real estate.

Lillian Arauz Haase, spokeswoman for the U.S. Attorney's Office, said further details of the jury's verdict were not available late Monday. Alexander's defense attorney, Peter Leeming of Santa Cruz, did not respond to requests for comment.

Alexander, 66, is the former producer of the internationally syndicated "Money Dots" financial talk show, aired locally on KION-AM 1460. She and partner Michael Swanson, 65, also operated the Monterey-based APS Funding, which told about 45 investors their savings would be used to offer "hard-money" short-term, high-interest loans for real estate development. They were assured 12 percent interest.

In reality, Alexander, Swanson and associate Beth Pina siphoned most of the funds for their own uses, including investments into Money Dots. Among her other diversions, Alexander spent $200,000 on a kitchen remodel for her Monterey rental home, then celebrated its completion by inviting her unsuspecting clients for a party.

As the investments fell in arrears, the trio continued to seek new investors to keep the scam afloat. Among the victims were retirees who invested their life savings. U.S. District Court Judge Lucy Koh allowed the Securities and Exchange Commission to depose two victims who were in their 70s and another who was suffering from brain cancer for fear they would not be alive for the commission's civil trial.

The scheme crumbled in 2009 when local investors complained to the Monterey County District Attorney's office that they were unable to get their money out of the fund. Deputy District Attorney John Hubanks and his office initially investigated with the Monterey and Carmel police departments, but soon realized the extent of the fraud and called in the FBI.

The three were arrested in October 2010 and indicted on 43 charges of mail and securities fraud, money laundering and conspiracy. Most of the charges carry maximum sentences of 20 years each in federal prison and up to $5 million in fines. Swanson was tried and convicted in a separate trial in September. Pina pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud in December 2012.

About a dozen charges were dismissed before Alexander's and Swanson's trials. Sentencing for Swanson and Pina has been delayed pending Alexander's trial. It is now set for May 14.

Former Monterey radio host found guilty in Ponzi scheme - San Jose Mercury News
    Last edited by ribshaw; 02-26-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

A pyramid scam busted in today's news, but Facebook still has not closed the links. Probably best not to hand your money over to people on Facebook pages at any rate.

https://www.facebook.com/Mutualwealthfinancialadvisers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mutualwealth/

Mutual Wealth.jpg

U.S.: Pyramid scam on Facebook, Twitter busted
    Matt Krantz, USA TODAY 6:55 p.m. EST March 5, 2014
    SEC moves to end alleged pyramid scheme.

Story Highlights

SEC wins emergency action against alleged pyramid scheme
    Alleged fraud used Facebook and Twitter to sign up investors
    Roughly 150 investors with $300,000 invested the program

SHARE 140 CONNECT 90 TWEET 3 COMMENTEMAILMORE

The Securities and Exchange Commission took emergency action against an alleged fraudulent pyramid scheme promoted on Facebook and Twitter.

A federal court gave the SEC a court order to freeze the accounts held by Fleet Mutual Wealth and MWF Financial, doing business as Mutual Wealth. The SEC claims Mutual Wealth has "been exploiting investors" using social media including Facebook and Twitter. Investors were promised returns of 2% to 3% a week, the SEC says, by using an investment strategy that "invests into securities for no more than a few minutes."

The complaint was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California. The SEC's complaint claims none of Mutual Wealth's claims are true. Instead of making investments, the company instead moves money to offshore bank accounts held by false companies, the complaint says.

The SEC described the situation as a pyramid scheme because Mutual Wealth allegedly urged current investors to sign up new investors in exchange for a commission.

Roughly 150 U.S. investors opened accounts with Mutual Wealth, investing $300,000, the SEC says. "Mutual Wealth used Facebook and Twitter as well as a team of recruiters to spread a steady stream of lies that tricked investors out of their money," says Gerald Hodgkins, an associate director in the SEC's Division of Enforcement in a statement.

Judge Dolly Gee granted the SEC's request for a freezing of assets at any bank. The SEC investigation is continuing. The defendants could not be reached.

U.S.: Pyramid scam on Facebook, Twitter busted

Post Thanks / Like

I am a bit surprised why the accent was on Facebook and tweeter.

It is just a regular HYIP scam which been running for just a bit over 1 year , and still runs :) - www.mutualwealth.com
    or correctly LYIP , how some call it for paying "Low" profits and considered to last longer.

SEC needs to open the eyes, their eyes are on the Facebook, "get back to work" :)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NikSam View Post
    I am a bit surprised why the accent was on Facebook and tweeter.

It is just a regular HYIP scam which been running for just a bit over 1 year , and still runs :) - www.mutualwealth.com
    or correctly LYIP how some call it for paying Low profits and considered to last longer.

SEC needs to open the eyes, their eyes are on the Facebook, "get back to work" :)
    That could be the media too. I see quite a few articles where a "new" scam is hitting town which always gets me a little excited. But when you hit the article it is seldom anything new, and usually quite the opposite. My interest was only piqued because of the mention of Facebook, it never ceases to amaze how easy it is to operate a scam on FB right out in the open.

EDIT, LOL. Just a bone of contention, I just posted the link to their Facebook page on my page and got a security check from Facebook, actually two. And friends who do the same thing as any of us are routinely banned or suspended by FB. It is just the craziest way to operate if they truly wanted to protect their users. Not really scam related, but I hate to think how many grown ups are pretending to be kids over on FB.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribshaw View Post
    ... My interest was only piqued because of the mention of Facebook, it never ceases to amaze how easy it is to operate a scam on FB right out in the open....
    Almost every HYIP has a facebook page these days, if you did not notice :)

As well as huge amount of facebook groups to announce new ones and pimp.

Neither facebook, neither any hoster or registrar will do anything if they do not get a court order, knowingly allowing criminals to continue to scam.

I know only one registrar/hoster who cares , and scammers slowly learning to stay away from it ;)

BTW: here is the SEC complaint: http://www.sec.gov/litigation/compla...-pr2014-44.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

What makes those tricky bastards special is this:
    Mutual Wealth has filed three Securities Act Forms D with the Commission.

32. Each Form D purports to give notice of offerings of securities that are
    exempt from registration with the Commission under Regulation D of the Securities
    Act. But Mutual Wealth's offers and sales of securities do not
    qualify for the exemptions cited in the Forms D or any exemption under from registration under
    Regulation D of the Securities Act.
    Consequently, the Forms D are invalid and of no legal effect.
    And they been pointing investors to SEC database to show them as listed and pretended to be licensed, while investors are not smart enough and do not understand what Form D means.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...rimary_doc.xml

Also this part is interesting:
    Mutual Wealth's sole shareholder and director has filed records with
    Hong Kong and Cypriot authorities using a non-existent U.S. address, and has used
    two U.S. passports that were either forged or stolen.
    Last edited by NikSam; 03-06-2014 at 06:11 PM.

16. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Been putting it off, but tax time right around the corner.

The caller claimed she was with the IRS' investigations department and she was bearing bad news: She had an arrest warrant for nonpayment of taxes.

This unnerving lie set the stage for a costly scam that ensnared the mother of an ABC News viewer in Jacksonville, N.C., who shared her story with the ABC News Fixer.

The scammer was so convincing, the woman immediately went out and bought $2,000 in prepaid debit cards to pay for back taxes and penalties the "agent" claimed she owed. But the con didn't stop there. Within three hours of handing over the money, the terrified victim got another call claiming that her payment was rejected and she'd have to pay another $3,500 to avoid immediate arrest.

She sent that money, too, before realizing later that she'd been scammed.

Sadly, that rip-off isn't unusual – in fact, it's one of the IRS' "Dirty Dozen" scams for 2014.

"There's quite a range of scams out there," said IRS spokesman Eric Smith. Consumers should remember that the IRS will never make an initial contact, out of the blue, by phone or email and ask for money or personal identifying information, Smith said: "We never do that."

Here are the top tax scams – done to taxpayers and by taxpayers – according to the IRS:

Identity theft: It's the IRS' top scam and why you need to keep your personal information locked up. Thieves steal consumers' names, Social Security numbers and other info, then file a tax return – and obtain a refund – in the victim's name. If you believe you're at risk for identity theft due to lost or stolen personal information, you can call the IRS and ask them to secure your tax account.

Phone scams: There's lot of variety here, with scammers impersonating IRS agents to steal your personal information or take your money. In some cases, the caller will say the consumer is entitled to a refund, but they need to provide their Social Security number or bank routing info. In others, they'll say the consumer owes back taxes and threaten them with arrest or the loss of their driver's license – or deportation, in the case of immigrant victims. "Spoofing" technology allows scammers to imitate the IRS' toll-free number on caller ID.

Phishing: This is just like the phone scams – but online. The crooks use emails or fake IRS websites to lure their victims and get them to provide personal and financial information. Remember: the IRS never emails or texts taxpayers to ask for personal or financial information.

False "free money": This scam plays upon the victim's greed by promising large federal refunds they aren't entitled to. Bogus tax preparers claim they can get you money based on false claims for education credits, the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) or the American Opportunity Tax Credit. Beware, though, because if you're involved in a false claim, you might wind up losing your real federal benefits, such as Social Security, veterans or low-income housing benefits, according to the IRS – and you could face a $5,000 penalty. On top of that, these shady "preparers" often charge a large fee.

Preparer fraud: Most tax preparers are honest professionals. But there are scammers who are really just looking to commit identity theft. Only use preparers who sign the returns they prepare, enter their IRS Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) and give you a copy of your return. You are legally responsible for what's on your return, even if someone else prepared it.

Hiding income offshore: The IRS is cracking down on people who evade U.S. taxes by hiding their money in offshore banks, brokerage accounts or nominee entities and then use debit cards, credit cards or wire transfers to get to their funds. Ditto with people who use foreign trusts, employee-leasing schemes, private annuities or insurance plans to shirk their tax bills.

Bogus charities: A perennial scam that crops up whenever there's a big natural disaster. Scammers impersonate charities to draw out money and private information from taxpayers who think they're making a tax-deductible contribution. Bottom line: Only deal with recognized charities.

False information: Beware of reporting false income, expenses or exemptions on your tax return to get a bigger refund. If you're caught, you'll be on the hook for the erroneous refund, including interest and penalties, and you could be criminally prosecuted, the IRS says.

Frivolous arguments: The IRS is not a big fan of these, so if you're tempted to say that you don't owe taxes because they're voluntary or you didn't get due process or some other goofy argument, it won't work.

The "zero wages" lie: In this fraud, the taxpayer submits a Form 4852 (a substitute W-2) or a "corrected" Form 1099 to make their income look lower and avoid paying taxes. The IRS takes a dim view of this and could hit you with a $5,000 penalty.

Abusive tax structure: This is a rich guy scheme in which the taxpayer uses domestic and foreign trust arrangements and the financial secrecy of foreign countries and offshore banks to avoid paying their fair share. The IRS says these schemes are characterized by the use of Limited Liability Companies (LLCs), Limited Liability Partnerships (LLPs), International Business Companies (IBCs), foreign financial accounts and offshore credit or debit cards.

Misuse of trusts: Not all trusts are bad, but the IRS is on the hunt for unscrupulous promoters who urge people to transfer large amounts of assets – including cash, investments and ongoing businesses – into a private annuity or foreign trust just to avoid paying taxes. If this is you, be careful. Seek the advice of a trusted professional.

'Pay Your Taxes Now or Be Arrested': The Dirty Dozen Tax Scams You Want to Avoid - ABC News

Post Thanks / Like

Check Your Utility Bill For Fraud From This New Scam

A new scam is costing innocent people hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. Here’s what you need to know to protect yourself.

Several suppliers of electricity that service various markets in the United States recently more than doubled their rates without any warning to customers. Some of the firms involved apparently claim that the skyrocketing prices resulted from unusually cold weather in the Northeast USA which caused their supply costs to increase. This claim, however, is suspicious, as other providers of power did not make similar increases, leading one to wonder whether these firms mismanaged their purchasing processes, or if something more sinister is at play. I tried to reach one of the suppliers, but, not surprisingly, my email and phone messages went unreturned.

Regardless of the reason for the increases, however, people should think twice before paying their bills, as, in many cases, the firms may not have the right to charge the exorbitant rates. As part of its marketing and sales process, one supplier promised that its rates would never suddenly increase by large amounts. One provider’s website continued to advertise “we make your savings our responsibility,” “The Same Service & Reliability. Simply Pay Less.,” and “you can enjoy low energy rates” – while it was charging more than double the price of the publicly-regulated utility with which it competes. Another provider continued to advertise rates on its website that are far lower than what some customers claim they were being charged. And, of course, other agreements may also have been broken. Furthermore, in areas in which States of Emergency were recently declared due to weather – for example, Pennsylvania and New Jersey, both of which have residents reporting severely inflated electric bills – price gouging may have violated other laws.

Many people routinely pay their utility bills without checking the specifics. Because people typically use far less electricity in the winter than they do in the summer, even people being scammed may find the total due for electricity in January or February to be a number that they have seen in the past.

So, as step one: Before paying your power bill make sure you are not being overbilled. If inflated rates violate an agreement that you had with your supplier, check the cost (per kWh) and make sure it is similar to the rate charged by your public utility. Some bills tell you what the public utility would have charged; in other cases the information is easily obtainable online or by phone.

If you are being overcharged, make sure to dispute the validity of the charges with the party that bills you. It is best if you resolve the issue directly with your supplier, but, if my experience described above is any indicator, your supplier may be unreachable. In many cases, however, you may have another party to whom to turn, as the billing for the third-party provider is actually handled by the local public utility; scammers may be relying on the fact that some utilities put warnings about shutting off power on the bills of people who fall behind in payments – providing a strong incentive for people to pay their bills even when overcharged. Aggravating matters is the fact that some customers who called their utilities have apparently been told that the utility does not handle consumer disputes with third-party energy providers, and that the full amount must be paid.

I spoke several times with a representative of the media relations department at PSEG – the utility servicing millions of people in New Jersey and New York. She informed me that while customers should first try to resolve billing issues with their suppliers, PSEG’s customer call center will take disputes, and that (perhaps as a result of our conversations back and forth) PSEG has recently reiterated its policy regarding disputed bills to its customer service personnel. If a different utility services your area, you will, of course, need to contact its appropriate customer service team.

You may also wish to contact your state’s Attorney General and Public Utilities Commission (or their equivalents). In Pennsylvania, the Attorney General is already looking into this matter, and the State Legislature is also launching an investigation.

As a final step, if you are using a third-party supplier that is overbilling you, you should obviously switch to a better supplier ASAP. Because of inefficiencies in the system, the actual switchover can sometimes take months to complete, a deficiency that scammers may also be seeking to exploit. So act quickly.

Of course, regulators, legislators, and law enforcement also need to take action. Third-party providers should not be allowed to overcharge and then attempt to use public utilities as “enforcers” threating to cut off heat in the winter if their bills are not paid. Unless changes are made to the current system, the entire third-party supply model could collapse; if overcharging scams repeat themselves, people fearing potentially significant aggravation and price gouging will simply refuse to switch providers of power. Jobs will be lost, and prices will rise. To preserve the capitalistic market in energy we need better oversight and enforcement.

Want to be notified of great articles that can benefit you? Follow me on Twitter at @JosephSteinberg

Check Your Utility Bill For Fraud From This New Scam - Forbes

Post Thanks / Like

SCAMMER: drkingsleymoghalu109@gmail.com

My name is Dr. Kingsley C. Moghalu,the deputy governor CBN.I was mandated by the President Federal Republic in conjunction with the Federal Executive Council (FEC), the Senate Committee on Foreign Debts Reconciliation and Implementation Panel on Contract/inheritance/compensation funds to complete all the unpaid Contract/inheritance/lottery fund. You are required as a matter of urgency to reconfirm your information including your name, phone number and your address for verification and immediate payment within 24 hours.

To this effect, the sum of TEN MILLION, SEVEN HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS (US$10.7m) has approved for you. I wish to inform you that all matters relating to the release of this payment is now under my control and supervision. This development has become necessary due to the activities of unpatriotic government/CBN officials and impostors who keep on frustrating every effort to settle our clients by making requests for unauthorized fees and levies from them.

We apologize for any delay you might have encountered in the past, your payment is now 100% Guaranteed

Kindly choose from these three modes of payment (wire transfer, diplomatic cash payment and ATM card). I can be reached on this number anytime: +234-70-35432212. Call me for more details

Best Regards,
    Dr. Kingsley Moghalu
    Deputy Governor CBN

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a headscratcher for y'all. With the Fortune 500, etc. etc., I have been chosen as one of the top 100 business leaders? Not bloody likely!!!

Confirmation #F0TZJXUJ
    Dear xxxxx

It is my pleasure to inform you that your 2014 membership has been approved in the Top 100 Business Leaders, the largest network of professionals in the World.

We provide an exclusive and powerful networking forum for our valued members to communicate and achieve social and career success.
    Take a moment to confirm the acceptance of your nomination.

http://www.wanhammercap.com/welcome-.../network.start.

Your nomination was approved this week. Your prompt response is required and appreciated to get your career networking started.

Sincerely,
    Career Networking Team
    Funny, but I don't remember tendering my application...!
    It seems like in this "industry" common sense is not all that common!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    Here is a headscratcher for y'all. With the Fortune 500, etc. etc., I have been chosen as one of the top 100 business leaders? Not bloody likely!!!

Funny, but I don't remember tendering my application...!
    I nominated you for that thing you did that one time without having to be asked. ATTA BOY.

Kindly provide your CC Number and Mothers Maiden Name, with first pet thrown in for good measure.

==================================
    SPEAKING OF NONSENSE, there are 0 jobs that involve getting mailed a check, not mystery shopper, not monster truck driver which made me sad
    Beware of the 'Monster' truck scam - FOX 13 News, not personal assistant, not sending **** to Nigeria, not shipping a car, not something you are selling on Craig's List, not not not not, NEVER.

IN FACT, if someone sends you a check for ANYTHING make 100% it clears your bank. Then call the bank that the check was drawn on and make certain you aren't being hosed. And then wait a few days just for good measure before sending them anything.

Never mind fixing toilets at 2AM, these checks are GUARANTEED to BOUNCE.

SCAMMER ervin.luke@aol.com
    SCAMMER david@cannonapr.com

Duties: Cash some of their rubber checks and send them the money before your bank gives you the insufficient funds notice.

Good day,

Trust Realty, is using this medium to inform you about the position opening as payment receiving and processing agents in our properties and account department. Our 10,000+ rentals in over 40 countries worldwide act as the driving force of our company. The company is growing dynamically and its formation is ongoing. At this particular moment, we are expanding our business area and increasing the number of property units in our database.

For this reason, we are widening our network of real estate agents and need more representatives in our account receivable department. We are known for competitive salaries, bonus/incentive programs and excellent benefits. Are you interested in an environment that rewards hard work
    and creative contributions? If yes, then join our big family.

Duties:
    1). Sending rent payments to Landlords
    2). Receiving rent payments from customers
    3). Data entry
    4). Processing rent payments,remittance of funds and record keeping.

Salary:
    1). 1000 USD per month. First salary you get after 30 days from the day you start working.
    2). 10% from each received rent payment processed on the same day you
    receive it (cashiers checks or money orders) . 1-10 Rent payments per
    week. Amount of one rent payment varies from :1500-5000 USD.

Requirements:
    18 years or older.
    Responsible, Reliable and Trustworthy
    Available to work a minimum 3-4 hours per week.
    Able to check and respond to emails often.
    Easy telephone access.
    Computer literacy is an advantage
    We don't require an active agent license.
    We don't require your bank information.
    We are sure this work will be interesting and simple for you. The
    greatest advantage of this position is its remote character and the
    possibility of spending only a few hours a day working while earning a
    base 12,000 per year plus your commissions (up to 30,000 USD per year).

To complete this stage of your job placement you should confirm your information by filling the information requested below :

FULL NAME:
    PHYSICAL ADDRESS:
    CITY / STATE /ZIP CODE:
    CURRENT EMAIL:

At the receipt of your response,you will be contacted and notified with your first payment processing assignment and guide.

We look forward to reading from you soon.

Email me: ervin.luke@aol.com

Regards,
    Ervin Luke
    Phone: +1 760-284-4658
    ================================================== =======
    Trust Realty . 20 Chestnut Street Needham, MA 02492

Post Thanks / Like

While not a new scam, this may be of interest to Real Estate investors doing 1031 exchanges and having proceeds held in trust. The method Okun used was nearly identical to Martin Frankel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia with the insurance companies he purchased.

CNBC's American Greed: Scams, Schemes, and Broken Dreams

Bit on Frankel
    American Greed: The Martin Frankel Case

===============================

Richmond News, Crime & Politics

Okun's former wife to testify at fraud sentencing

Edward Hugh Okun faces what could amount to a life sentence in prison for one of the largest frauds ever tried in a federal courtroom in Richmond.

Frank Green

Until his conviction this year in a $126 million fraud, Carol May had not heard a word about her first husband, Edward Hugh Okun, since he left Canada decades ago.

The news surprised her -- not that he was in trouble, but that he still was alive. "I thought somebody would have killed him," she chuckled. "It doesn't sound like his behavior changed very much through the years."

In a two-day sentencing hearing beginning tomorrow, U.S. District Judge Robert E. Payne could send Okun, 58, behind bars for the rest of his life in one of the largest frauds ever tried in a federal courtroom in Richmond.

The government has asked several of the roughly 300 victims who lost life savings to testify this week about the impact of the crimes.

May, of Toronto, also will attend. The government intends to call her as a witness.

In 1973, May, then Carol Cohen, married the charming scion of a wealthy family, but the magic faded quickly. She said, "I wanted the divorce. He was crazy. He was a wreck. His personality had just changed so much from when we first met."

Okun left Canada in the late 1970s amid fraud allegations and lawsuits filed against him by members of his own family.

May heard nothing of him again until March, when news media reports reached her of his fraud convictions in a scheme to finance another divorce, his current marriage to a Brazilian woman and the purchase of expensive cars, aircraft and homes.

The government is seeking a maximum 400-year sentence. In a recent sentencing memorandum, prosecutors wrote of Okun: "It is difficult to overstate the blatant breach of trust and the wanton greed [he] displayed."

Okun's lawyers are asking for a 10- to 15-year term and argue that just 20 years would amount to a life sentence for the ailing Okun, who had triple coronary bypass surgery at age 39.

In June a federal judge in New York hit Bernard Madoff with the maximum, 150-year sentence allowed under federal sentencing guidelines even though Madoff pleaded guilty, showed remorse and apologized.

Okun has done none of that. Instead, he toughed it out in a three-week jury trial in which he was convicted on all 23 counts and apparently has yet to express any remorse. He will be given a chance to speak before he is sentenced.

"Madoff was sentenced to the maximum punishment allowed by law and one that will ensure that Madoff never gets out of jail, which is exactly what the government seeks in this case," wrote prosecutors in court papers filed Wednesday.

Jayne W. Barnard, a law professor at the College of William and Mary, was in the courtroom when Madoff was sentenced and hopes to attend Okun's sentencing. In 2001, she urged that federal courts allow victims of white-collar crime to speak at sentencings and the rules were changed later to allow that.

Barnard said there are three primary reasons for allowing fraud victims a chance to speak. The first, she said, is that it is helpful for the judge. The next is because it can help the victims, she said.

"It is a very humiliating, demoralizing experience to be defrauded no matter how smart you are. No matter how clever your defrauder is, it's very humiliating. But for some of them, to go court and stand up and say, 'This is what's happened to me,' is very restorative," she said.

Finally, Barnard said, victim testimony "can really deliver a powerful message to the defendant. . . . I think many of these fraud perpetrators really don't have a conventional sense of conscience. They have no sense of the injury that they've inflicted," she said.

"I was very impressed by the fact that Bernie Madoff, who is a cold fellow, made reference to comments that the victims had made minutes before his own statement. He was listening very hard, and he heard at least some of what they had to say," Barnard said.

"And even if they don't hear it at the time of sentencing, they usually have a long time to ponder what has been said in their presence," she said.

. . .

Okun's scam used his now-defunct, Richmond-based businesses, Investment Properties of America and The 1031 Tax Group. He moved the firms to Richmond from Indianapolis in 2005 when a key employee -- now facing 10 years in prison -- would not leave Richmond.

In August 2005, Okun's The 1031 Tax Group began acquiring other 1031 exchange companies, which temporarily hold money from clients' real estate sales, deferring their capital-gains taxes under Section 1031 of the tax code.

Authorities say that during the same month he started buying 1031 companies, Okun began raiding the client accounts, in part to buy more 1031 companies to keep the scheme running, as well as for lavish spending.

In court filings, the government says that unlike with Madoff, "this is not a case where the victims sought to invest their money with Okun, knowing that they were putting it at risk. Instead, the victims followed IRS requirements and entrusted Okun's companies with their hard-earned money."

"In return for their trust, Okun stole their money," prosecutors said.

The government believes Okun's romance of and marriage to Simone Bolani in 2005 helped lead to the fraud -- Okun needed nearly $6 million to divorce a wife in Indianapolis.

Okun, then 54, married Bolani, then 27, in a $171,000 Miami ceremony in December 2005. Including the divorce settlement, from August 2005 to March 2007 Okun spent $35 million on jewelry, expensive cars and an $8.3 million yacht he named "Simone."

In January 2007, Okun treated a small dinner party in the Bahamas to a $56,525 meal. He later disputed $29,065 of the tab saying the cognac was $1,008 a bottle -- not per shot.

. . .

Though the clients will recover some of their money through bankruptcy court, lives were disrupted, small fortunes were spent on legal fees, and retirements canceled or delayed.

A Web site, www.freeokun.com, blames Okun's failures on others, describes him as a self-made millionaire, and says the government hid evidence that could have helped his case. It is not known who created the Web site or who posted the information.

Okun did not testify at his trial, but his lawyers said he borrowed, not stole, the money from the accounts and always intended to pay it back.

May, now an owner of an interior design business in Toronto, said she believes that's bunk. "His intent has never been to pay anybody back. That's just his way of twisting it to make it sound like he had no intentions to do wrong," she said.

"In the four years we were together he bought a Rolls Royce, he bought a Mercedes, he bought an Aston Martin. . . . He was extravagant," May said. "To me, it's almost a repeat of exactly what it was like when he was here and we were married," she said.

As things got worse, she said, "he would dig deeper and deeper for money."

In the 1970s, according to the U.S. government's sentencing memorandum: "While in his 20s in Canada, [Okun] stole $150,000 from his father-in-law and was sued by his own sister and paternal uncle for improper business dealings."

Prosecutors say they will present testimony that he left Canada to avoid paying civil judgments.

Okun's lawyers say the government claims about his behavior 30 years ago are unsubstantiated and that aside from the current fraud convictions, Okun never had been arrested and charged with a crime, other than a decades-old driving-while-intoxicated charge.

But, May said, "if I can in any way demonstrate that his behavior in [recent years] was simply an enlargement of how he was at age 25, then perhaps it will be evident that he has been a thief for a long, long time."

"I don't really wish him ill, but, you know, he has done things that he's responsible for, and he shouldn't get away with it," she said.

Okun's former wife to testify at fraud sentencing - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Richmond News, Crime & Politics

Post Thanks / Like

This was on CNBC's American Greed last night. I watched the episode with my girlfriend, a more or less first since she does not share my passion of tracking scams. As the victims told their stories she could not believe what she was hearing. People who were now going to lose their houses, invested their life's savings, many with no chance to earn it back.

As always the ruse was SIMPLE, pay people with their own money and tell them it is interest, give people fake account statements showing what they are "earning". It always bears repeating, when you can't INDEPENDENTLY verify the numbers and transaction details you run the risk of being scammed.

How Joe Mazella fooled investors - CNBC

A Staten Island man was arrested earlier this morning on charges arising out of his alleged operation of a $12 million Ponzi scheme from 2007 to 2010. Joseph Mazella, the founder and president of the Great Atlantic Group, Inc., a Staten Island-based real estate and financial consulting company, was charged with securities fraud, wire fraud, and money laundering in a federal indictment that was unsealed earlier today in federal court in Brooklyn. The case has been assigned to Chief United States District Court Judge Carol B. Amon. The defendant is scheduled to be arraigned later today before United States Magistrate Judge Lois Bloom at the United States Courthouse, 225 Cadman Plaza East, Brooklyn, New York. The charges were announced by Loretta E. Lynch, United States Attorney for the Eastern District of New York, and Janice K. Fedarcyk, Assistant Director in Charge of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, New York Field Office.

As alleged in the indictment, Mazella solicited investments in Third Millennium Enterprises, Inc. and 150 West State Street Corp., both of which were associated with the Great Atlantic Group that supposedly invested in real estate projects and provided private mortgages. Mazella told prospective investors that he would invest their money in real estate projects, including projects in Trenton, New Jersey, a warehouse in Utica, New York, and a golf course development project. From approximately January 2007 until approximately December 2010, investors contributed a total of nearly $12 million to Third Millennium and 150 West State Street. As of December 2010, the combined closing balance of the bank accounts associated with the two companies was less than $15,000.

According to the indictment, Mazella described the investments as an opportunity to receive the returns of mutual funds and stocks, without any significant loss of liquidity, and at a fixed rate during the entire time period of investment. Solicitation materials distributed by Mazella characterized the investments as “geared toward individuals who are interested in earning more than traditional bank savings and CD rates but without the risk of the stock market.” Some investors were encouraged to obtain mortgages on their homes and to invest the mortgage proceeds with Third Millennium or 150 West State Street, and other investors, typically senior citizens, were encouraged to apply for reverse mortgages on their residences and to invest the proceeds with the two companies.

The indictment charges that, by as early as January 2007, Mazella had virtually stopped investing in real estate projects, and instead operated Third Millennium and 150 West State Street as a Ponzi scheme, in which he paid returns to investors from existing investors’ deposits or money paid by new investors. Many of the properties in which the companies held any mortgage or ownership interest were abandoned and in various states of disrepair, and the property taxes owed on several of those properties had fallen into arrears. Mazella also allegedly used investors’ money to pay his personal expenses, including payments for a Porsche, a mortgage on his personal residence, and family expenses.

“Perhaps the most egregious aspect of this case is that the defendant allegedly encouraged victims—some, senior citizens—to obtain mortgages on their homes and to invest the proceeds in what the indictment charges was nothing more than a Ponzi scheme,” stated United States Attorney Lynch. “We will aggressively investigate and prosecute those who perpetrate these crimes.” Ms. Lynch thanked the United States Postal Inspection Service, the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (OIG), for their assistance.

FBI Assistant Director in Charge Fedarcyk stated, “Mazella lured investors with the promise of steady rates of return without market risk. In fact, because the investment scheme allegedly was an investment scam, the only one guaranteed to get rich quick was Mazella himself. The FBI is committed to protecting the investing public.”

If convicted, Mazella faces a maximum sentence of 20 years’ imprisonment for each count of securities fraud, wire fraud, and money laundering.

The government’s case is being prosecuted by Assistant United States Attorneys John P. Nowak and Evan Weitz.

The FBI has established a telephone hotline for victim investors in Third Millennium Enterprises and 150 West State Street Corp. The number is 212/384-1300.

The Defendant:
    JOSEPH MAZELLA

FBI — Staten Island Businessman Arrested on Fraud Charges for Operating Multi-Million-Dollar Ponzi Scheme

24. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why suspend his sentence?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26818745

Trading Standards hailed the case as being the first victory of its kind
    A man who ran a Microsoft computer scam tricking people into paying for free anti-virus software has received a suspended four-month jail sentence.

Mohammed Khalid Jamil, 34, from Luton, hired people at an Indian call centre to falsely tell victims their computers had a serious problem.
    The targets would be charged between £35 and £150 for software Microsoft made available for free.
    As well as the suspended sentence, Jamil was ordered to pay a £5,000 fine.
    He must also pay £5,665 compensation and £13,929 in prosecution costs.
    The decision has been hailed as a "landmark" case by Trading Standards.
    "We believe it may be the first ever successful prosecution of someone involved in the Microsoft scam in the UK," said Lord Harris, chairman of the National Trading Standards Board, which oversees the work of the National Trading Standards e-crime team.
    "It's an important turning point for UK consumers who have been plagued by this scam, or variants of it, for several years.
    "Many have succumbed to it, parting with significant sums of money, their computers have been compromised and their personal details have been put at risk.
    "Now that one of the many individuals who've been operating this scam has been brought to justice, it's a stark warning to anyone else still doing it that they can be caught and will be prosecuted."
    Remote accessJamil had set up Luton-based company Smart Support Guys, which employed people based in India to cold-call Britons and claim to be working for Microsoft.
    The victims, unaware of the scam, would offer remote access to the fraudsters - meaning their computers could be controlled from a different location.
    Once given this access, targets' computers would be made less secure, at which point the scammers would offer, in return for a fee, to install software to fix the problem.
    The software installed was available for free on Microsoft's website.
    In court, Jamil admitted to unfair trading by allowing his staff to make false claims regarding computer support services.
    He claimed he had tried but failed to control call centre staff and not adequately supervised them.
    His jail term is suspended for 12 months.

If Simon Stepsys or Mark Ghobril are involved it's 100% a SCAM!

Post Thanks / Like

Tech scam swindles thousands

Scammers posing as technology support experts are stealing thousands of dollars from West Australians.

Victims from Perth and the South West have lost up to $10,000 each in a recent spate of scams.

In many cases, the fraudsters claimed to work for big information technology companies such as Microsoft or Telstra.

An elderly Brighton man named Peter received a call from a "Telstra employee" who offered to upgrade his computer's Windows XP operating system for $5.

Peter gave the caller access to his computer, logged into his internet banking and used his credit card to pay the "fee".

He is still trying to recover the $10,000 the scammer stole.

Busselton pensioner Merv, 78, was persuaded to give his bank details to an Indian man who said his home computer had viruses.

"The bloke said he could get rid of the viruses for good for $400 and I thought, 'well, $400 sounds pretty good'," he said.
    "He opened up a PayPal account in my name but said the first $400 had been rejected so I shot straight down to the bank."

When Merv said the caller's name was "Jack Dawson", the bank attendant knew he had been scammed.

Jack Dawson was the name of Leonardo DiCaprio's character in Titanic.

"I should have woken up to it because I update my anti-virus at least once a week, but I'm still learning this stuff," Merv said.

"I think I was targeted.

"The wife's not letting me forget it either.
    "Just be careful about giving anyone your bank details or your card number because then they can get into everything."

A sharp rise in the long- running scam prompted a warning from Consumer Protection Commissioner Anne Driscoll.

She said the scam recently took a turn for the worse, leaving victims with compromised computers and hefty losses.

"Hang up on anyone who calls out of the blue claiming to be from Microsoft, Windows support, Telstra, BigPond, Apple or any reputable company wanting access to your computer to fix a problem,"
    she said. "These companies never do this unless you contact them first.

"Never allow anyone to have remote access to your computer, unless you initiated the contact.

"Your personal information is the key to unlock your financial accounts, so guard them carefully."
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Of use for our men and women in the military.

I am in the military and I am concerned that someone may try to use my personal information to obtain credit while I am deployed overseas. How can I prevent this?
    updated 10/21/2013

If you are a member of the military on active duty, you may place an “active duty alert” on your credit report to reduce the risk of identity theft while you are deployed.

This alert lets a business know that you are probably out of the country, so the business is required to take reasonable steps to verify your identity before issuing credit in your name. If you have provided your telephone number, the business must either contact you at the telephone number you provided or take other reasonable steps to verify your identity and confirm that the application is not attempted identity theft. Since it may be very difficult to contact you directly if you are deployed, you can assign a personal representative to answer for you, or to place or remove an active duty alert.

Contact one of the nationwide credit reporting companies (that company will then contact the other nationwide credit reporting companies):
    Get Help

Submit a Credit Reporting complaint

We’ll forward your issue to the company, give you a tracking number, and keep you updated on the status of your complaint.

Tell us your story, good or bad, about your experience with consumer financial products.

Equifax, 800-525-6285
    Experian, 888-397-3742
    TransUnion, 800-680-7289

Active duty alerts on your credit report last for 12 months, unless you request that the alert be removed sooner. Your name also will be removed for two years from the nationwide consumer reporting companies marketing lists for credit and insurance offers. If your deployment lasts longer than 12 months, you may place another alert on your credit file.

The active duty alert requires the creditor to take reasonable steps to confirm your identity before opening a new credit account. If you want a stronger step to protect you from identity theft during your deployment, consider placing a security freeze.

I am in the military and I am concerned that someone may try to use my personal information to obtain credit while I am deployed overseas. How can I prevent this? > Consumer Financial Protection Bureau