LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get Back To The Chopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Get Back To The Chopper.

California Official's $800,000 Salary in City of 38,000 Triggers Protests - Bloomberg

Here is an article if true, is a level of corruption I myself didn't think possible in the state of California.

I'm a California resident, and looking at this article........

I just could not believe this. It just can't be true I was thinking to myself.

I can't find any other articles on line to back this up, so it may not be true.

Let me say anyway if this is true.........

Then California should get back some of this money and start filling some of the pot holes in my town, dammit.

Not to mention if true, our taxes should not be increased by one cent.

I would ask some of the great members of realscam if they could help me out, and let me know if this is really true. Also if true I would like to know your thoughts on this.

Thank in advance,

Theophilus.
    The trolls took over, and the mods cannot will not stand against them, the wimps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Get Back To The Chopper.

Holy Crap Batman! That looks real and totally disturbing. The economy is struggling with high unemployment and they are paying salaries like that. There is no justification for it and I am shocked they have gotten away with issuing 50 million in bonds. That is city government corruption at its worst. Check out what the Associated Press wrote ( one of 106 articles Google listed):
    Associated Press

Posted: 07/20/2010 07:41:25 AM PDT
    Updated: 07/20/2010 07:41:26 AM PDT

BELL — The Bell City Council has ordered its staff to look into city salaries after reports that some officials are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars a year.

The council ordered the report Monday night at a meeting where hundreds of irate residents shouted at their leaders, threatened a recall and demanded tougher action.

They called for the firing of Chief Administrative Officer Robert Rizzo, who earns more than $787,000 a year for overseeing a Los Angeles suburb with fewer than 40,000 residents.

The police chief earns about $457,000 a year, twice what Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck gets.

Most City Council members draw nearly $100,000 a year for part-time work.

The district attorney's office is investigating to see if the salaries violate California law.
    Yikes!

Soapboxmom
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this will help or not:
    Search for State Worker Salaries

You should be able to just select whatever dept of the State you want and it should show all the employees and their salaries. Here in NJ we have a similar website called 'datauniverse'

Here is another article:

http://dailybail.com/home/meet-calif...f-his-800.html
    Last edited by Whip; 07-20-2010 at 08:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

What is even worse, is that the city of Bell is tiny, very poor and very unsafe. It's a rat hole for the most part. I think the population is only about 44k. People make little money who live there. The average job in that city pays less than 20k a year so most people commute to somewhere, but even those that do, are still living way below the Federal government's standards for poverty income. It has a very high crime rate and none of these elected officials have done anything to help that or the citizens. It's less than three square miles in size. The astounding and outrageous figures that are paid by the citizens taxes is abominable. They have been allowed to rape and pillage this poor community for many years. They give themselves 12% raises every single year! Who the hell gets a 12% raise any more?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this looks to be true. This is just terrible. Here I am in California with services declining, roads going to hell, teachers being laid off, and schools closing. Not only that but police services as well are declining.

So this is what I am paying for as a home owner (bank owned I should say) and a tax payer.

Really, as far as I am concerned this should lead to criminal charges, this is beyond messed up.

The only way things like this will change is jail time for these criminals. This is criminal.

What could you say to a judge (that is not payed off and part of the problem) that could justify this corruption, this rip off of the tax payers in California?

My goodness all the money problems California has, I guess this explains part of the problem. Now I wonder how many other stories similar to this one will come out in California?

Thanks a lot Arnold, looks like it's time for you to get back to the Chopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft View Post
    What is even worse, is that the city of Bell is tiny, very poor and very unsafe. It's a rat hole for the most part. I think the population is only about 44k. People make little money who live there. The average job in that city pays less than 20k a year so most people commute to somewhere, but even those that do, are still living way below the Federal government's standards for poverty income. It has a very high crime rate and none of these elected officials have done anything to help that or the citizens. It's less than three square miles in size. The astounding and outrageous figures that are paid by the citizens taxes is abominable. They have been allowed to rape and pillage this poor community for many years. They give themselves 12% raises every single year! Who the hell gets a 12% raise any more?
    I am really upset by this. This is an outrage. If I lived there I would call for a law that showed how every single penny of the peoples tax payers dollars were being spent.

This is just too much. I knew it was bad, I didn't know it was this bad.

All the problems California has, and we have these worthless bureaucrats sucking us dry.

How do these people live with themselves?
    The trolls took over, and the mods cannot will not stand against them, the wimps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The corruption at every city, county, state and federal level in this country has been monumentous and out of control for many, many decades. There is no real and accurate accounting and no accountability whatsoever. Meanwhile, all of the fees, every type of tax imaginable, licenses, you name it continue to rise and be foisted upon the public to pay for this horrible machine that continues to grind away the soul of every citizen of this once great nation.

If people had even a clue of ten percent of what goes on, they would or should be rioting in the streets. Or maybe not. I think sadly, that most people have just given up and feel so overwhelmed and so powerless to stop any of it. It's just so enormous. We have just resigned ourselves to try and cope and survive the best that we can. People are struggling and they are tired. We feel helpless to stop or change anything. The populous has been beaten down, subdued, scattered and controlled. Perhaps that is now government’s goal, after all is said and done. We the People, For the People, By the People is only a distant, vague dream now. It's for the super rich, the mega rich and the career politicans. There is little left over for plain, ordinary, hard working, average citizen. Just the need to have us constantly financially supporting what gives back little or nothing to us of any real value.
    Last edited by A Life Aloft; 07-20-2010 at 09:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    I am really upset by this. This is an outrage. If I lived there I would call for a law that showed how every single penny of the peoples tax payers dollars were being spent.

This is just too much. I knew it was bad, I didn't know it was this bad.

All the problems California has, and we have these worthless bureaucrats sucking us dry.

How do these people live with themselves?
    They make their millions, get all their perks, expenses, decorated offices, cell phones, trips, tickets to ballgames, cars, every kind of pay off and gift under the sun and then get their huge fat ass pensions with all the bennies for the rest of their lives.

The Mayor of L.A. itself is no better. Same crap, just another politician. He gets free tickets to every concert, ball game, the Emmys, movie premiere, any event, you name it and claims he's on offficial business as he is the Mayor and representing the City of L.A. He takes trips to Europe, rides in a chauffeured limo like a rock star, has his meals catered, his clothing custom made, you name it. And guess who pays for all of this? You and me. You and me.

The City Council Members in L.A. get several hundreds of thousands a year just to refurbish and redecorate their offices and get new furniture. lmao
    Last edited by A Life Aloft; 07-20-2010 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am worried as a truck driver, because I see businesses closing all the time, and I think to myself "who am I going to deliver product to"

I used to see only one guy at the freeway off ramp looking for money. Now it is families standing at the off ramps. I am sure you have seen this as well.

All this breaks my heart, also I know I could be there. I mean what I am going to do as more and more stores close shop.

Who am I going to deliver to?

One thing is for sure, over the years the people in power have not really been too friendly to the small business owner.

I really don't know what is going to happen, I just try to do my job and hope for the best.

Though I'd be a fool if I said I was not concerned.

I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It gets worse. Remember little Meg Whitman? She ran on the campaign to crack down on illegal aliens. To crack down on employees who hire them. To support the borders and their security and on and on and on. She won the nomination because of this in this state and only because of this. Now suddenly she is taking out billboards in Spanish, having interviews in Spanish speaking newspapers and on Spanish radio stations and talking about amnesty and that she is against Arizona's new law regarding illegals. They all lie. Evey damn one of them. You can't trust any politician any further than you can spit. She used her billions to run a totally phony campaign. ($90 million in fact) Now I have no one to vote for, yet again. What's the point, they all only serve themselves in the long run and not the citizens anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am really worried about what will happen when Bush's tax cuts are no longer in effect after the end of this year. How many lay-offs and businesses closing and downsizing will we see then? I am trying to expand and have been trying since we moved to a much larger facility and complex. And I am working harder and much longer hours than I ever imagined in the process and because of the economy to a great extent. I worry deeply about everything in this state. Businesses have fled this state by the thousands or just folded. The taxes keep getting worse and the fees and the licenses for eveything. Foreclosures were even higher last month. The jobless rate here is horrific. Everyone I know is worried, believe me. It's a hot mess.

Not only who will you deliver product to, but who will be left to buy them and how much will sell? People are not spending money here. They are trying to survive, pay their bills off, keep their homes and hanging on to what cash they have and trying to build up their reserves. That is those who still have a damn job.
    Last edited by A Life Aloft; 07-20-2010 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft View Post
    It gets worse. Remember little Meg Whitman? She ran on the campaign to crack down on illegal aliens. To crack down on employees who hire them. To support the borders and their security and on and on and on. She won the nomination because of this in this state and only because of this. Now suddenly she is taking out billboards in Spanish, having interviews in Spanish speaking newspapers and on Spanish radio stations and talking about amnesty and that she is against Arizona's new law regarding illegals. They all lie. Evey damn one of them. You can't trust any politician any further than you can spit. She used her billions to run a totally phony campaign. ($90 million in fact) Now I have no one to vote for, yet again. What's the point, they all only serve themselves in the long run and not the citizens anyways.
    I am more concerned about this then you could possibly imagine. Here was a person I was supporting, and now this.

Lets just look at this from a political point of view.

Meg just pissed off the people who would of supported her. Now she is throwing all that money, all that time spent, to make herself known as a fraud.

First talk about a waste of money, second because now she has handed the governorship to Brown.

Now because of Meg, it looks like Brown will win, and even if Meg won, it looks like California looses.

I have to tell you though, I am terrified by what a Brown governorship may bring.

Though now I am not sure Meg is far behind Brown.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have to tell you, they are not much different. They both want amnesty. Hell, they are both horrible. Again, just another election that I don't want anyone to win that is running and I am left with no one to vote for. It happens so often the last many years on a State and Federal level, I have just given up even bothering most of the time, sadly. Jerry just needs to move to assisted living. Seriously. lol

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing about the story is that anyone is surprised by the fact a politician and/or bureaucrat is proven to be self serving.

All we are seeing here is yet ANOTHER example of what we like to call "democracy" in action.

Call me an old cynic if you like, but I'd only be surprised if a politician DIDN'T serve themselves and/or their party before their pleb.....err..... serva.....err.....those they "serve"
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post
    The only thing about the story is that anyone is surprised by the fact a politician and/or bureaucrat is proven to be self serving.

All we are seeing here is yet ANOTHER example of what we like to call "democracy" in action.

Call me an old cynic if you like, but I'd only be surprised if a politician DIDN'T serve themselves and/or their party before their pleb.....err..... serva.....err.....those they "serve"
    One has to wonder why Meg would bother. Why spend all that money only to lose?

Meg, you had the governorship in your hands, and you threw it away.

My question to Meg would be.......

Why did you throw all that money away, and why do you not give a damn for California?

F**k you Meg, I am not voting for you.

Post Thanks / Like

If it is a city, it would have city council meetings, as I see it the public has allowed themselves to get raped and pillaged for years if this is all the case, and there is no justification for the salaries beyond what we know.

I lived in a city that had an ex police chief for mayor...and he wanted our city to have its own police force instead of paying the county. The numbers they presented for costs were low, and I stood up and said so. (You have to actually take part in public gov't if you want to bitch about public gov't) They railroaded ti through...

I've left that city...let others pay the taxes...the annual cost of their police force is currently over 3x what was proposed 6 years ago...and rising...just give them a few more years and they will be paying for cops injured on duty...and families of cops killed on duty...another 10 years and they will have officers retiring....and then we'll see where those projections end up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I get it now....so it's the poor citizens of Bell's fault then. You have no compassion do you? No empathy and no sympathy. How very Christian of you. I doubt seriously that most citizens of any city know exactly what their various officials make in the way of a salary and perks. It is now a new (elected 6 months ago) city councilman who is asking for the investigation and the resignations. He makes 155.00 a week by the way. He had no idea that the City Manager was pulling down $800,000.00 a year and that his fellow councilmen were making over a hundred grand a year, nor the other salaries. It's not like this was made public or published anywhere. Greedy CEOs have done much of the same behavior. They rape their own companies and employees and pay themselves millions and bonuses and huge perks. Then they file bankruptcy in some cases. Look at the banks and the Airlines for example.

People that are barely making ends meet cannot afford to just "move" either. And it's a pretty well known fact that people who are often so poor that they are struggling every day just to exist and survive and have children for example to take care of, don't go to City Council meetings or are even that involved in government activities. Also, these meetings are held in the evenings and the crime rates in this city and gang activity is very high. Many people simply do not venture out at night. They feel unsafe to do so. Yet, you blame them and not the assholes making these ridiculous salaries. Interesting perspective. Cruel, lacking compassion and mean, but interesting.

People do stand up and speak and vote and protest and what good does it do them? You yourself said it didn't do you any good and the issue that you were concerned about was passed anyway. That is the point here.

Government no longer serves the people on any level in this country. It serves themselves only. And Politicians lie. They all lie. They all misrepresent themselves to the public. The "public" at large is never listened to. Look at various polls regarding bills passed by the Congress and the Senate. When the public is against something it is passed anyways. Letter writing campaigns and phone campaigns are mounted enmasse to their elected leaders and what good does all of it do? Nothing. Nothing at all. Anyone who believes differently is either a fool, naive or both.

People literally took to the streets here last year en masse in many cities when the Legislature wanted to tax us even further than we already are. What happened? They raised every fee and license possible on every citizen and on every business instead. They got their blood money one way or another. The Department of Water and Power in Los Angels is sitting on millions in their coffers, made a huge profit besides and yet raised everyone's bills to ridiculous amounts. Corruption and greed never ends and it's never going to.
    Last edited by A Life Aloft; 07-21-2010 at 10:16 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft
    Corruption and greed never ends and it's never going to.
    Sad, but true.

"It has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all the others that have been tried.”
    -Winston Churchill
    A half-truth is a whole lie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Update:
    Calif. City Officials Resign in Salary Scandal

Published July 23, 2010
    | Associated Press

AP

July 22: A Bell police officer patrols outside a special city council meeting to consider the firing of top officials in Bell, Calif.

BELL, Calif.-- Three administrators whose huge salaries sparked outrage in this small blue-collar suburb of Los Angeles have agreed to resign, the City Council said Friday.

Council members emerged from an hours-long closed session at midnight Friday and announced that they'd accepted the resignations of Chief Administrative Officer Robert Rizzo, Assistant City Manager Angela Spaccia and Police Chief Randy Adams.

Rizzo was the highest paid at $787,637 a year -- nearly twice the pay of President Barack Obama -- for overseeing one of the poorest towns in Los Angeles County.

Spaccia makes $376,288 a year and Adams earns $457,000, 50 percent more than Los Angeles Police Chief Charlie Beck.

The three will not receive severance packages, the Los Angeles Times reported Friday. Rizzo will step down at the end of August and Spaccia will leave at the end of September. Adams will also leave at the end of August, after completing an evaluation of the police department, the Times said.

"I'm happy that they resigned but I'm disappointed at the pension that they're going to receive," said Ali Saleh, a member of the Bell Association to Stop the Abuse or BASTA.

Rizzo would be entitled to a state pension of more than $650,000 a year for life, according to calculations made by the Times. That would make Rizzo, 56, the highest-paid retiree in the state pension system.

Adams could get more than $411,000 a year.

Spaccia, 51, could be eligible for as much as $250,000 a year when she reaches 55, though the figure is less precise than for the other two officials, the Times said.

Saleh said the crowd applauded after the announcement but immediately yelled out questions about what would happen to the council members. Four of the five of them are paid close to $100,000 annually for part-time work. When the crowd's questions were not answered, they shouted, "Recall!, Recall!"

Revelations about the pay in Bell has sparked anger in the city of fewer than 40,000 residents. Census figures from 2008 show 17 percent of the population lives in poverty.

Enraged residents have staged protests demanding the firings and started a recall campaign against some council members.

"Woo-hoo, the salaries. Wow. What can I say? I think that's unbelievable," Christina Caldera, a 20-year resident of the city, said as she stood in line at a food bank.

Caldera, who is struggling after recently losing her job as a drug and alcohol counselor, said she generally was satisfied with the way the city was being run but felt high-paid officials should take a pay cut.

"What are they doing with all that money?" she asked. "Maybe they could put it into more jobs for other people."

Attempts to leave messages seeking comment from Rizzo and Spaccia failed because their voicemails were full. A message left for Adams was not immediately returned.

The county district attorney's office is investigating to determine if the high salaries for the council members violate any state laws. The City Council also intends to review city salaries, including those of its own members, according to Councilman Luis Artiga and Mayor Oscar Hernandez.

"We are going to analyze all the city payrolls and possibly will revise all the salaries of the city," Artiga said.

However, both men said they considered the City Council pay to be justified.

"We work a lot. I work with my community every day," the mayor said, as he shook hands with and embraced people leaving the food bank Thursday.

Council members are on call around the clock, and it is not uncommon for them to take calls in the middle of the night from people reporting problems with city services, Artiga said.

Though many residents are poor, Hernandez said they live in a city they can be proud of, one with a $22.7 million budget surplus, clean streets, refurbished parks and numerous programs for people of all ages. He pointed proudly down a street to a park filled with new exercise equipment.

When Rizzo arrived 17 years ago, Hernandez said, the city was $13 million in debt and on the verge of bankruptcy. Rizzo obtained government grants to aid the city, the mayor said.

Rizzo was arrested near his home in Huntington Beach in March and charged with misdemeanor drunken driving. He pleaded not guilty and is due back in court for an Aug. 5 hearing, said Farrah Emami, a spokeswoman for the Orange County district attorney's office.

The Los Angeles Times reported the salaries last week, prompting a large protest Monday at City Hall in which residents shouted and demanded that Rizzo be fired.

California Attorney General Jerry Brown said his office has launched an investigation in conjunction with the state's public employee retirement agency into pension and related benefits for Bell's civic leaders..

More from MyFoxLA.com
    Scumbags have resigned and no doubt are going to head out of Dodge!

Soapboxmom
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To bad they couldn't revoke their pensions as well. Rizzo lives in a million dollar home near the beach, in Huntington Beach. And they wonder why this state has been on the verge of bankruptcy for several years. Bastards!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is so much more to this hot mess. I think the outting of the truth and the investigation will continue for sometime to come. The citizens want these guys out and prosecuted. The b.s. about them saying they will work for free is just that....b.s. No one wants them. One of the three just appointed himself head of the city's homeless shelter at a salarey of 100 grand a year! ROTFL! He did this yesterday! The fricking nerve! They held a special election to make the city a Charter city a few years back, which was what enabled them to then set these ridiculous salaries and not follow the State guidelines and rules. The problem is no ballots were ever sent to the citizens, nothing was publicized, and only 350 people voted in the election! It is highly suspected that their friends, business associates relatives and people they paid off voted. Fraud city. This is also being investigated. They have been milking the city dry ever since. They laid off all kinds of city workers, reduced the budgets to keep the parks going, afterschool programs for kids, and for Police protection and other items, to keep their own salaries going. It's beyond a disgrace. This is one of the worst scenarios of immoral political greed that I have ever seen. I can only hope that trials and jail time await these scumbags sooner rather than later. This story is far from over and when all the details and dirty tricks come to light, people will be even more shocked and outraged. Jerry Brown, the Attorney General is now on this as well and the L.A. Times who broke the story and even our worthless Governator and more. It's going to get ugly. Very ugly. The City Manager just might have to sell that million dollar home of his in Huntington Beach that he bought with the blood sweat and tears of the poor and hard working citizens of Bell, to pay for his attorney fees. To think how these bastards ripped off this tiny poor town and it's citizens is just beyond comprehension.

Post Thanks / Like

I was in Vernon, CA. a couple of days ago. I asked some of the people there about the corruption going on in Bell.

I think outraged might be an understatement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Buddy!

Ken and John did a show this week from Bell and those citizens are ready for blood! Here are some pics form the show they did there:

KFI AM 640 More Stimulating Talk Radio

More crap today. The FBI is getting involved, (election fraud and some other stuff being looked into) The State Controller says he is going to audit the city's books for the last seven years and Jerry Brown is investigating and he issued a boat load of subpoenas today, but get this.....the City Managers office, which was locked up was breached yesterday and some men "in suits" took out a bunch of papers and records. This is the news being leaked by the locksmith who supposedly was called in to open the office. Problem is, the State Controller's office, the Sheriffs office, Brown's office or the FBI when contacted today, have all said it wasn't them! Now the search is one for who the hell was in there and what did they take. So that is being checked out and The Los Angeles District Attorney is now involved and investing voter fraud in the mock election that was held to make the city a Charter where only 350 people voted and no notices were sent to any homes, but....

"The Los Angeles County district attorney's office says it is investigating allegations that off-duty police officers in Bell went door-to-door with absentee ballots last year and attempted to tell people how to vote.

District attorney's spokeswoman Jane Robison says the office is conducting a wide-ranging investigation of Bell, including allegations about the officers. The district attorney and California attorney general are also investigating huge salaries paid to city leaders."

I am telling you when the months of investigations pan out and everything, all the dirt and the connections and ties are discovered and linked, it's going to be very interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy listening to the John and Ken show on KFI, those guys are good. I was looking for more info about this story, and I must of come across the same article you did or one similar about the voter fraud.

Former Bell police officer alleges serious voting irregularities in 2009 election - latimes.com

I missed that show with John and Ken, though it had to be a very good show.

I am wondering just how far this goes.

This is just horrible beyond belief.