Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 43 of 43

Thread: Shooting central

  1. #26
    A Life Aloft is offline fled troglodyte invasion
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shooting central

    Well back to the subject at hand.......Eddie do you get to do much target plinking? I haven't for a while but I enjoy going out to the desert, in the boonies with some paper targets, cans, plastic bottles and just plinking away. Cheap and pretty fun. Good way to unwind and relieve some stress. I prefer that to any indoor range (haven't been to one of those in ages) and outdoor ranges are okay - but I still like just being out in the sticks without too many other distractions or people.

  2. #27
    A Life Aloft is offline fled troglodyte invasion
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shooting central

    Wow, Theo. That video says it all doesn't it? Really troubling. Also, a great lesson for us here.

  3. #28
    Theophilus's Avatar
    Theophilus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    It varies daily.
    Posts
    150

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft View Post
    Wow, Theo. That video says it all doesn't it? Really troubling. Also, a great lesson for us here.
    It does, it was hard to watch all these law abiding citizens, these good people lose their right to own guns.

    Restricting peoples right to own firearms will not reduce crime at all. The criminal will get the gun, and there is no stopping that.

    If those of you who support gun control don't believe that, just look at the disaster that is the war on drugs. People get their drugs don't they? People will get guns if they want them.

    Lets hope that those of you who love gun control and don't own guns at all, never hear the glass breaking in your house.

    Followed by the sound of your door opening, you call the police, you hear the footsteps coming towards you. You have no chance, the police will not get there in time.

    The world will never get rid of firearms ever. The criminals will get them no matter what.

    Protecting yourself is a right.

    Anyone want to tell me otherwise?
    Last edited by Theophilus; 02-12-2011 at 03:06 AM. Reason: edit
    The trolls took over, and the mods cannot will not stand against them, the wimps.

  4. #29
    Eddie Haskell's Avatar
    Eddie Haskell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft View Post
    Well back to the subject at hand.......Eddie do you get to do much target plinking? I haven't for a while but I enjoy going out to the desert, in the boonies with some paper targets, cans, plastic bottles and just plinking away. Cheap and pretty fun. Good way to unwind and relieve some stress. I prefer that to any indoor range (haven't been to one of those in ages) and outdoor ranges are okay - but I still like just being out in the sticks without too many other distractions or people.
    Dude, I love to plink. Semebody wiill find a way to make fun of this no doubt.

    I have shot brticks leterally thorugth my Mk IK and my Remington 550-1. I love them both. What fun they are both are. I love to shoot no mater the caliber.

    IM all about having fun and shooting is part of it. Come on down here and I will teach yoiu and we can have some fun.
    If its listed at the Talk Gold ponzi and crime forum its a SCAM.

  5. #30
    littleroundman is offline Administrator
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    17,653

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by Theophilus View Post
    Protecting yourself is a right.

    Anyone want to tell me otherwise?
    Why would anyone here want to do that ????

    Things are entirely different in the US than they are Australia, end of story.

    America is not like what we see on the eleventy two and a half crime shows we're force fed with nightly on the idiot box and Australians are not at all like Crocodile Dundee.

    vive la différence,I say.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

  6. #31
    laidback's Avatar
    laidback is offline Senior Troll
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Shooting central

    When I was in SoCal, my son and I would occasionally go out to Barstow or up to Big Bear ahooting. Where I am now, two friends and I get together for Sunday breakfast, followed by a trip to the local outdoor range. Depending on how we feel we may take out 22 rifles or pistols, heavier hitters or Black powder guns. I have a replica of the Remington 1858 revolving rifle that's a blast to shoot .
    1858 carbine.jpg

  7. #32
    Eddie Haskell's Avatar
    Eddie Haskell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    When I was in SoCal, my son and I would occasionally go out to Barstow or up to Big Bear ahooting. Where I am now, two friends and I get together for Sunday breakfast, followed by a trip to the local outdoor range. Depending on how we feel we may take out 22 rifles or pistols, heavier hitters or Black powder guns. I have a replica of the Remington 1858 revolving rifle that's a blast to shoot .
    1858 carbine.jpg
    Funny you mention black powder. I have been around guns all my life and only fired one of these. It was a 30 caliber I believe and was a flint lock. I actually hit what I was shooting at because I didnt know what to expect. After I realized the delay in going off I was screwed up the rest of the day. lol

    Whats sad to me these days is how some of the makers are getting cheap. Particularly Remington. Winchester went under several years back and now Remington seems to be on the same path. The quality is just now there anymore imo. Their older guns were some of the best ever built.

    What caliber is that 1858 laidback? I have seen those before but never shot one.

    One of my buddies just bought a 375 h and h magnum and this thing kills at both ends. The recoil is just too much for me and its not my cup of tea at all. I like the smaller stuff. I would like to try out a 204 ruger someday to play with. I have gotten a lot of grief from some people for buying a 9mm pistol. Some say it wont get the job done but I would hate to be shot with one and to me its all about recoil. If you cant hit what your shooting at then the bigger power does not matter. The 9 has all I want and I dont want more. Have any of you ever shot a 44 magnum? Good God almighty! Talk about recoil. I had a 357 at one time and it was too much for me except when you shot 38 wad cutters in it. I got rid of it for this very reason.
    Last edited by Eddie Haskell; 02-12-2011 at 04:57 PM.
    If its listed at the Talk Gold ponzi and crime forum its a SCAM.

  8. #33
    laidback's Avatar
    laidback is offline Senior Troll
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Shooting central

    The 1858 is a 44, caliber, and is a cap lock.(uses a percussion cap for ignition).
    Coincidentally, I can produce everything I need to shoot this thing. I have a mold for the ball, I know how to make black powder, and a little device I got from Dixie Gun Works to make the caps, using soda cans,( or beer cans).

  9. #34
    A Life Aloft is offline fled troglodyte invasion
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post

    One of my buddies just bought a 375 h and h magnum and this thing kills at both ends. The recoil is just too much for me and its not my cup of tea at all.
    I had to laugh when I read this, Eddie. Back in the early 80's I went to an outdoor range with a friend of mine, another Captain. I just brought the Berretta to the range that I owned at the time, just before I had bought my Browning, and my shotgun to shoot some skeet with afterwards which was my main reason for going. He brought two rifles and a few handguns and a Colt Python (6" barrel) that he had recently purchased. It was a canon!!! I used two hands to grip it and the recoil almost knocked me on my ass. lmao It weighted a ton and man was that thing loud even with ear protection. Bejebus. I only fired a couple of rounds, waaaaaayyyy too much gun for me. I decided I needed my wrists to function with. It seemed huge for me for a handgun. It did have marvelous adjustable sights though. He also brought a S&W .44 mag with a barrel that I believe was 6 1/2 inches long. (he was into the bigger is better mode obviously. lol) Again, the roar of it was huge, especially since we were at a range out in the Inland Empire that is surrounded on three sides by some small mountain ranges. Again, way to much gun for me. I can only image that you could shoot through several walls in your home with it and still hit your neighbor's car parked in his driveway. lmao You could clearly see a large muzzle flash from it in broad daylight. Yikes!!!

  10. #35
    A Life Aloft is offline fled troglodyte invasion
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    908
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
    Dude, I love to plink. Semebody wiill find a way to make fun of this no doubt.

    I have shot brticks leterally thorugth my Mk IK and my Remington 550-1. I love them both. What fun they are both are. I love to shoot no mater the caliber.

    IM all about having fun and shooting is part of it. Come on down here and I will teach yoiu and we can have some fun.
    Plinking is great. It's just for fun and relaxing and it really is a great stress reliever. I haven't been in a while as I mentioned, (too busy working) but now I am thinking a little trip out to the desert with my oldest son might be in order soon. Never shot any bricks though, just cans, plastic bottles empty and filled with water, paper targets and some scrub branches and misc., pieces of old wood that you find out there. You can hike a bit, enjoy the sun, bring a little lunch and just enjoy yourself and get away from everything for a few hours. It's pretty nice isn't it? (except having to watch out for rattle snakes - hate those damn things)

  11. #36
    Eddie Haskell's Avatar
    Eddie Haskell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft View Post
    I had to laugh when I read this, Eddie. Back in the early 80's I went to an outdoor range with a friend of mine, another Captain. I just brought the Berretta to the range that I owned at the time, just before I had bought my Browning, and my shotgun to shoot some skeet with afterwards which was my main reason for going. He brought two rifles and a few handguns and a Colt Python (6" barrel) that he had recently purchased. It was a canon!!! I used two hands to grip it and the recoil almost knocked me on my ass. lmao It weighted a ton and man was that thing loud even with ear protection. Bejebus. I only fired a couple of rounds, waaaaaayyyy too much gun for me. I decided I needed my wrists to function with. It seemed huge for me for a handgun. It did have marvelous adjustable sights though. He also brought a S&W .44 mag with a barrel that I believe was 6 1/2 inches long. (he was into the bigger is better mode obviously. lol) Again, the roar of it was huge, especially since we were at a range out in the Inland Empire that is surrounded on three sides by some small mountain ranges. Again, way to much gun for me. I can only image that you could shoot through several walls in your home with it and still hit your neighbor's car parked in his driveway. lmao You could clearly see a large muzzle flash from it in broad daylight. Yikes!!!
    I have only shot the damn thing once. it knocked the hat off of my head. the recoil is just undescribable. It knocked me on my ass. It hit me that hard and thats no joke. It took me a bit to recover. I came around and swore to Jesus I would never shoot A gun this big ever again.
    If its listed at the Talk Gold ponzi and crime forum its a SCAM.

  12. #37
    laidback's Avatar
    laidback is offline Senior Troll
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Shooting central

    At least none of us( I don't think) were dumb enough to try to fire something like this 600 Nitro Express pistol, (elephant cartridge)
    YouTube - The most powerful handgun in the world

  13. #38
    Theophilus's Avatar
    Theophilus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    It varies daily.
    Posts
    150

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post
    Why would anyone here want to do that ????

    Things are entirely different in the US than they are Australia, end of story.

    America is not like what we see on the eleventy two and a half crime shows we're force fed with nightly on the idiot box and Australians are not at all like Crocodile Dundee.

    vive la différence,I say.
    I was a little rude with the anyone want to tell me otherwise statement.

  14. #39
    laidback's Avatar
    laidback is offline Senior Troll
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
    I have only shot the damn thing once. it knocked the hat off of my head. the recoil is just undescribable. It knocked me on my ass. It hit me that hard and thats no joke. It took me a bit to recover. I came around and swore to Jesus I would never shoot A gun this big ever again.
    So-o-o, I'm guessing you'd pass up something like the 500 S&W, or the BFR(Biggest, Finest Revolver, or Biggest F*****G Revolver) in 45-70? Just asking...!

  15. #40
    Eddie Haskell's Avatar
    Eddie Haskell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    So-o-o, I'm guessing you'd pass up something like the 500 S&W, or the BFR(Biggest, Finest Revolver, or Biggest F*****G Revolver) in 45-70? Just asking...!
    You guessed right. A 44 magnum is the biggest handgun I have ever fired and it was extremely unpleasant. I cant imagine a 500 S and W. Why anybody would buy one I will never know.
    If its listed at the Talk Gold ponzi and crime forum its a SCAM.

  16. #41
    laidback's Avatar
    laidback is offline Senior Troll
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
    You guessed right. A 44 magnum is the biggest handgun I have ever fired and it was extremely unpleasant. I cant imagine a 500 S and W. Why anybody would buy one I will never know.
    It's part of the, "bigger is better" syndrome that creeps in. There are lots of theories as to why this is, but I'm not sure how valid any of them are. For target shooting(jmvho) the less experience recoil the more pleasant. For hunting IF you can place your shot properly it doesn't take much gun to bring down almost anything.

    For personal protection, there may be an argument for the stopping power of a big gun, but you still have to hit what you're aiming at. My personal protection piece is a Kel Tec 9mm with a Crimson Trace.

  17. #42
    Eddie Haskell's Avatar
    Eddie Haskell is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    307

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    It's part of the, "bigger is better" syndrome that creeps in. There are lots of theories as to why this is, but I'm not sure how valid any of them are. For target shooting(jmvho) the less experience recoil the more pleasant. For hunting IF you can place your shot properly it doesn't take much gun to bring down almost anything.

    For personal protection, there may be an argument for the stopping power of a big gun, but you still have to hit what you're aiming at. My personal protection piece is a Kel Tec 9mm with a Crimson Trace.
    Your right about the bigger better syndrome. We have a serious over kill problem in my part of the world with rifles. Everybody seems to want the biggest thing they can buy to hunt deer with. 30-06 are as common as they can be and to take a deer it is overkill imo. If you had to have just one caliber to do everything with it would be a 243 or 6MM imo. I guess my crutch is making long ranges shots accurately. That is what turns my crank and that why I like the 220 swift. I have a Winchester model 70 and a Ruger Mk22 Varmit and target rifle. The Ruger is by far the better piece accuracy wise.

    Speaking of rifles the best I have seen out of the box accuracy wise is a Savage. One of my buddies has had a half a dozen of them and they flat out will shoot. I think it was just bad luck on my part with the Winchester. I just got a bad one. I have tried every kind of load under the sun and it just wont group. Over 1 inch MOA is the norm at 100 yards in a 5 shot group. The Ruger shoots pretty much 3/4 Moa all day long. Its not a tack driver but very acceptable to me.

    Not familiar with the Kel tec. I see your a 9 guy like myself. Its all I want and its all I can stand recoil wise. Is the Kel tec expensive?
    If its listed at the Talk Gold ponzi and crime forum its a SCAM.

  18. #43
    laidback's Avatar
    laidback is offline Senior Troll
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,997

    Re: Shooting central

    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Haskell View Post
    Your right about the bigger better syndrome. We have a serious over kill problem in my part of the world with rifles. Everybody seems to want the biggest thing they can buy to hunt deer with. 30-06 are as common as they can be and to take a deer it is overkill imo. If you had to have just one caliber to do everything with it would be a 243 or 6MM imo. I guess my crutch is making long ranges shots accurately. That is what turns my crank and that why I like the 220 swift. I have a Winchester model 70 and a Ruger Mk22 Varmit and target rifle. The Ruger is by far the better piece accuracy wise.

    Speaking of rifles the best I have seen out of the box accuracy wise is a Savage. One of my buddies has had a half a dozen of them and they flat out will shoot. I think it was just bad luck on my part with the Winchester. I just got a bad one. I have tried every kind of load under the sun and it just wont group. Over 1 inch MOA is the norm at 100 yards in a 5 shot group. The Ruger shoots pretty much 3/4 Moa all day long. Its not a tack driver but very acceptable to me.

    Not familiar with the Kel tec. I see your a 9 guy like myself. Its all I want and its all I can stand recoil wise. Is the Kel tec expensive?
    Depends on what you call expensive. They run about $350 + or -. It is the smallest, lightest commercially available 9mm and slips easily into my front pants pocket. It's a DAO design.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on this website are solely those of their respective authors.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42