LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Time travel anyone

Post Thanks / Like

Time travel anyone

Here is a very interesting article about the possibilities of actually doing time travel.

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

In a very cosmopolitan way, I’m typing this article in a coffee shop in Liverpool Street Station, London. My thoughts are with the intricate nature of the Universe and the tiny steps we have made so far to conquer space travel. As a society, our technology still needs to develop significantly to truly master it, but will we ever take the next step and travel through time?

Time travel is the stuff of science fiction but interestingly, there is nothing in our current laws of physics that says time travel is impossible. Even such lowly things as the cup in front of me have mastered time travel to a degree. Sitting there on the table, seemingly doing nothing yet it is actually moving through time, relentlessly, at a rate of one day per day.

OK, so this isn’t real time travel since everything on Earth is moving through time at this rate. The big question is can we change this rate of travel, or even reverse it and move backward in time? After all, Dr Who can do it.

Quickly back to basics then: What is time? Time is just another component of something we call "space-time" in much the same way that a head or a tail are two sides of the same coin; space and time are both parts of the fabric of space-time. Since the two are related, maybe the secret to time travel is in manipulating space itself or perhaps our interaction with it.

Warp drive propulsion may be a sci-fi favorite for the USS Enterprise to speed around the cosmos, but can the technology ever become a reality?

One very simple way to move forward in time at a different rate is to travel really REALLY fast through space. It turns out that the faster you go, the slower time seems to move for you with respect to everyone else. This concept is known as "time dilation."

For example: If I run around this coffee shop at speeds close to the speed of light, by the time I sit down again, I will have aged less than those around me. In effect, I will have traveled into their future.

This has been shown by experimentation where an atomic clock was left on the surface of the Earth and another was taken up in a high speed aircraft. By the time the two clocks were back together again, the one in the aircraft had aged less than the other.

What about traveling back in time then? That's the exciting bit after all. One of the most tantalizing possibilities again makes use of the effects of time dilation.

We have seen that the faster you go, the slower time seems to pass with respect to the outside world. If your speed finally reaches the speed of light (300,000 kilometers per second) then time actually stands still, exceed the speed of light and its thought that time will start to flow backward.

There you have it, the key to travel backward in time. If only it were that simple.

Unfortunately there is a fly in the ointment, an effect of Relativity is that the faster you go, the heavier you become and as you reach the speed of light, you become infinitely heavy! To accelerate something that is infinitely heavy requires an infinite amount of energy. Therein lies the problem.

There isn’t an infinite amount of energy in the Universe and if there was, it's a little selfish of you to use it all in your fanciful flight backward in time!

There may however be an alternative. Einstein’s theory’s of relativity only precludes travel at the speed of light, he never said anything about travel faster than light. Of course it will still take an incredible amount of energy, but crucially not an infinite amount.

Now it turns out that a little technique called quantum tunneling is used by electrons orbiting around atoms to instantly move from point A to point B without passing through the space in between.

If we could utilize a similar process and "quantum tunnel" through the barrier of the speed of light, we might just be able to travel faster than light, but never actually have to travel at the speed of light to get there.

All that remains is to fly around at this speed as time for the rest of the Universe rolls backward, decelerate at the appropriate moment and hey presto, you’ve popped out in July 1973 and time for one of the greatest moments in history, my birth.

While this all seems a little far fetched, it's actually only technology stopping us from doing it. Much the same could be said for space travel at the turn of the century, it seemed unattainable to travel to the Moon but once the technology had evolved it became possible.

It's all just a matter of time before we master not just space travel in a big way but also to conquer one of the final challenges left to mankind, the ability to travel through time and I for one, think that one day, it will happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Time travel anyone

Are there any time travel MLMs yet? I think that's going to be YTB's next venture. They haven't sold much travel in the present, so perhaps this is an option for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a second hand TARDIS for sale. Only used once,open to highest bidder!

Welcome to the forum( Old cranky Man).---Im a bit cranky too.
    The Ray st Clair/Gary Beaver Saga.
    www.realscam.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I met a few people that I wouldn't mind sticking in one of those. lol Does it come with a money back guarantee? Do I have to pay the shipping or does it just deliver itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Any and or all of the above. Credit cards only please.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Father View Post
    Ive got a second hand TARDIS for sale. Only used once,open to highest bidder!

Welcome to the forum( Old cranky Man).---Im a bit cranky too.
    And possibly a bit of a fake to?

Post Thanks / Like

Time travel is the stuff of science fiction but interestingly, there is nothing in our current laws of physics that says time travel is impossible. Any body care to quote on this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Old Man View Post
    Time travel is the stuff of science fiction but interestingly, there is nothing in our current laws of physics that says time travel is impossible. Any body care to quote on this.
    Here's an article by Dr. Michio Kaku, Professor of Theoretical Physics:
    Stephen Hawking's Universe - Unsolved Mysteries
    A half-truth is a whole lie.

Post Thanks / Like

And possibly a bit of a fake to?
    Not proven m'lud.
    www.realscam.com

Post Thanks / Like

I used to work with a guy who once told me that he worked so many hours, he met himself leaving as he came into work that day....
    The more I am around people, the more I like my dog !!

http://www.asdupdates.com/wordpress

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emet View Post
    Here's an article by Dr. Michio Kaku, Professor of Theoretical Physics:
    Stephen Hawking's Universe - Unsolved Mysteries
    Excellent. Yet they once said that man would never fly. They also said that man would not get to the moon to. What we may scoff at today, may in all reality become a reality tomorrow. The future has yet to be told. ( so far )

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Let's not bother with actual science and facts then.

You Can't Travel Back in Time, Scientists Say | LiveScience

Remember what Hawkening said, "travelling to the past may is impossible, travelling into future is possible, but with a price – you can’t ever go back to ‘your time’, in addition, you’re not really travelling into the future in the classical sense, but you rather create a difference between the speed of your time in relation to the outside time speed." The he contradicted himself a few months later. I think he's starting to lose it, sadly.

If you traveled at the speed of light, you're not going into the future. Time is man's attempt at making spacial advancements in life measurable. If you traveled at the speed of light, it would take you 3 days to reach one point (using Earth time) that would have normally taken about 3 years. You only used 3 days. Which means the people on Earth only went through 3 days. Regardless of how fast you go, time stays consistent as far as measurement. Just because you only took 3 days to travel 300 years worth of travel doesn't mean 300 years actually went by. Example, a dress I love is normally $400.00. But, I get it on sale for half the cost. I got it for $200.00, not the $400.00 it was worth. Another example, I'm driving my sister to school and it normally takes us 40 minutes to get there. I increase my speed and cut the amount of time it took by 10 minutes. The rest of the galaxy is still at the same point in time as me, regardless of how fast or slow I was going. I think the LG disease went to Prof. Hawking's brain. And you cannot travel back in time because that space and "time" we used up dies as we move forward. Brilliant man, just out of it.

When he presented his latest ideas about what travel in the future might resemble, he reportedly admitted that he had kept quiet on the subject for fear of being labeled a heretic by the scientific community. He probably should have thought longer. Theory is one thing, proof and actualization quite another. Where is the evidence? Any evidence at all.

Stephen Hawking Explains How to Build a Real Time Machine
    News by Mark Berman Opposing Views
    (May 05, 2010) in Society / Technology

Physicist Stephen Hawking is widely considered the smartest person in the world. You may think someone with his brain wouldn't waste his time dealing with something as illogical as time travel. Well, not only does he spend time on it, he thinks time travel is actually possible.

In an article in London's Daily Mail, Hawking, describing himself as a "physicist, cosmologist and something of a dreamer," admits the scientific community might scoff at his ideas:

Time travel was once considered scientific heresy. I used to avoid talking about it for fear of being labelled a crank. But these days I'm not so cautious.
    Hawking writes that in science fiction movies, some crazy time machine speeds through a tunnel through the fourth dimension, thus traveling back or forward in time. Far-fetched, yes, writes Hawking, but not out of the realm of possibility.
    Physicists have been thinking about tunnels in time too, but we come at it from a different angle. We wonder if portals to the past or the future could ever be possible within the laws of nature. As it turns out, we think they are. What's more, we've even given them a name: wormholes. The truth is that wormholes are all around us, only they're too small to see.

But there in lies the problem -- the size of these wormholes:
    Unfortunately, these real-life time tunnels are just a billion-trillion-trillionths of a centimetre across. Way too small for a human to pass through - but here's where the notion of wormhole time machines is leading. Some scientists think it may be possible to capture a wormhole and enlarge it many trillions of times to make it big enough for a human or even a spaceship to enter.

So that is the challenge -- making the wormhole bigger. Even then, you'd need a really, really fast vehicle.

There's a cosmic speed limit, 186,000 miles per second, also known as the speed of light. Nothing can exceed that speed. It's one of the best established principles in science. Believe it or not, travelling at near the speed of light transports you to the future.

To put that into perspective, the fastest manned vehicle in history was Apollo 10, which reached 25,000 mph. A time traveling vehicle would have to go 2,000 times faster than that.

So perhaps we can't build our own time machine. Hawking's point is that it is theoretically possible. And what would Hawking do if he could go back in time?:
    If I had a time machine I'd visit Marilyn Monroe in her prime or drop in on Galileo as he turned his telescope to the heavens.
    Spoken like a true genius.

Some of the comments are quite interesting:

Opposing Views: Stephen Hawking Explains How to Build a Real Time Machine

Post Thanks / Like

It was also thought,when the automobile was first invented,that travelling in excess of 30mph without a windshield would turn your face inside out!

It worked for me!
    www.realscam.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not proven m'lud.
    Well why not settle it once and for all. Prove it with your credientials. Where is your parish. Name your Bishop. You know all of the good stuff. If I am wrong then I will apologize. If I am right you drop the father bit. And trust me I will check out any and all information you offer. If you do not show proof them we can safely assume that you are a fraud. So if you have nothinhg to hide, prove yourself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's the internet. People are not required to "out" themselves with their true names, professions, any personal info, where they live, or credentials at all, especially to some stranger. How ridiculous is that? In fact, to do so would be very foolish indeed. It's unwise and unsafe to do so. Anyone with a half a brain gets that and understands the many reasons why. It's better to be as anon as possible, actually. No one needs to "prove" anything about themselves of a personal nature to strangers either. Who cares? No one has the right to someone else's personal information either, nor to demnd that of anyone.

They have an ignore feature on this forum if you need it.

I couldn't care less if someone wants to call themselves Tarzan King of the Monkey People, as long as they are being honest in what they are trying to present in their posts in regards to issues/topics. And it's no one's business to stick their nose into anyone's personal life either. Again, it's the internet. It also helps to have a sense of humor. Also, many people can and do come on forums and blogs all the time and present themselves to be honest, decent and nice when in fact, they are far from those attributes, have plenty to hide, have real issues, have plenty to be ashamed of, are not at all what they seem to be at all and none of them are calling themselves Father that I have seen or am talking about. I've seen this many times, sadly and been shocked and pretty dismayed over what I have discovered about those people down the road.

Father is a great guy. If you don't care for him or anyone else, you can simply use the ignore feature. There's really been enough drama on here already. He was friendly to you and welcomed you to the forum and made a joke and this is how he gets repaid? Nice.
    Last edited by A Life Aloft; 07-09-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Life Aloft View Post
    It's the internet. People are not required to "out" themselves with their true names, professions, any personal info, where they live, or credentials at all, especially to some stranger. How ridiculous is that? In fact, to do so would be very foolish indeed. It's unwise and unsafe to do so. Anyone with a half a brain gets that and understands the many reasons why. It's better to be as anon as possible, actually.

They have an ignore feature on this forum if you need it.

I couldn't care less if someone wants to call themselves Tarzan, as long as they are being honest in what they are trying to present in their posts in regards to issues/topics. And it's no one's business to stick their nose into anyone's personal life either. Again, it's the internet. It also helps to have a sense of humor. Also, many people can and do come on forums and blogs all the time and present themselves to be honest, decent and nice when in fact, they are far from those attributes, have plenty to hide, have real issues, have plenty to be ashamed of, are not at all what they seem to be at all and none of them are calling themselves Father. I've seen it many times, sadly and been shocked and pretty dismayed over what I have discovered about them down the road.

Father is a great guy. If you don't care for him or anyone else, you can simply use the ignore feature. There's really been enough drama on here already. He was friendly to you and welcomed you to the forum and made a joke and this is how he gets repaid? Nice.
    My apologies to the forum. But if he is going to represent himself as a man of the cloth, I feel I have a right to ask for proof. If this is out of line then please let me know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Again, you don't have the right to anyone's personal information or proof of anything. You are strangers to eachother. IT'S THE INTERNET! Let's see you put up your home address, your Social Security number, your Driver's License number, your home phone number, etc. Let's call your old boss at your job and ask him about you. Let's check out your wife while we are at it. What is it that you don't seem to understand?

I have made the mistake myself of trying to be "internet buddies" and it's only worked out for me a few times. In the end, I was very disappointed when people presented themselves to be what they are not and that had nothing to do with their profession either. Not in one case. Nor did it have anything to do with their screen name either. I've probably said way too much of a personal nature in trying to be truly honest, open, communicate, be sincere, and believe me, it was a big mistake. It's a mistake because you don't really know the recipients of that information or what they will do with it. Now I stick to who I actually do know and who actually knows me. (I hope)

You have no right to demand any personal information from a stranger either. You may feel you have that right, but you don't. Get real. This is not a private forum, it is very public. It is up to each individual what they choose to reveal about themselves of a personal nature. Period. To post too much personal information or in depth personal information on the internet to starngers who you do not know, is beyond stupid frankly and asking for nothing but trouble.

And, considering the behavior of many "men of the cloth" from several religions/denominations, many of them and their behaviors are nothing to be admired and respected in the first damn place. Let it go.

If you cannot enjoy Father's posts or him as an internet persona, put him on ignore. Solves your problem.
    Last edited by A Life Aloft; 07-09-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Screen names are just that: screen names. Sometimes they are 3 act plays; sometimes they are recurring themes or jokes; sometimes they are known only to the individual, and the significance may elude others.
    Is Doc B a doctor?
    Does GlimDropper have one eye? (I had to google that)
    Is SBM a mother? Is she a she?
    Is littleroundman little, round, or a man?
    Does Whip use one?
    Does Wizzard know things?
    Is ALA a pilot?

It's just a screen name and persona. (thanks, ALA)

Respectfully submitted,
    Emet and Associates, LLC
    Offering opinions all over the place
    A half-truth is a whole lie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ROTFL!! Great job Emet.

It's best just to take the poster at a certain, limited face value, look at the integrity of their serious posts, what they reveal and realize in the end, they are a still a complete stranger to you and you to them. No one owes anything to any stranger on the net. People need to accept that. I don't trust anyone on the net any longer, that I don't "know".

I know that my personal experience in three professional forums (which were the only three forums that I had ever participated in for years and where I still participate in the most) are radically different and totally opposite than what I have seen and experienced out there on the big old net in my fairly recent experience of four other forums. (two of which I no longer participate in, by choice) I have and still am learning that lesson the hard way. Rather naive on my part, but also true. Until my expansion out to other forums, my computer was only a means to those other professional forums, for research, information that I needed, for some fun, for business/professional purposes, as a learning tool, to purchase certain items, a means to store photos, for email and staying in touch, etc. It's been a disaster otherwise in many ways. lol But not in all ways and there has been some benefit.

While there are many wonderous things and great people on the internet, there is also a lot of garbage, crap, a holes and much worse. It's certainly very prudent to limit that access to all kids and teenagers and monitor their limited access. It's not safe at all and is never what it appears to be. Neither are many people, sadly. Still learning that lesson as well.

Post Thanks / Like

First off Father let me say thanks for exposing Ray st Clair. You work in exposing this scam will save people money and heartache. People will see your work about this scam, and they will be "saved".

Now about time travel.

I have heard theories about all possibilities existing at the same time.

If this was true, you could travel back in time, maybe (LOL).

Though if you changed something, and just by being there you have changed the future.

It would be impossible to return to the same exact time-line from where you came from.

So lets say someone came from the future, and started to tell what was going to happen in the future.

Well if it was actually true that someone had traveled from the future to this time-line.

We have no way of knowing what possibility that person came from. That person could be completely honest with his predictions, though those predictions may never happen in our possibility.

Well I'm in over my head, someone call KAZZA.

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to thank everybody for their support in my abscence.It shows that we are a genuine community on this forum.
    Old Cranky Man,you are very welcome on this forum,of that Im sure,but please,lighten up a little. I post on this forum principally to expose scammers,I have a few more lined up waiting in the wings,also I enjoy a little humour now and then,mostly now!
    www.realscam.com

Post Thanks / Like

I always find it interesting when people use the "mankind used to think XXXXXX was impossible before it was invented, so therefore YYYYYYY must be possible" argument to advance their current cause.

Without a corresponding reference to all the things "THOUGHT" impossible which have proven to actually "BE" impossible the use of such an argument is invalid.

"What the mind of man can conceive and believe, It can achieve" is nothing more than humankinds' arrogance captured in words.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emet View Post
    Screen names are just that: screen names. Sometimes they are 3 act plays; sometimes they are recurring themes or jokes; sometimes they are known only to the individual, and the significance may elude others.
    Is Doc B a doctor?
    Does GlimDropper have one eye? (I had to google that)
    Is SBM a mother? Is she a she?
    Is littleroundman little, round, or a man?
    Does Whip use one?
    Does Wizzard know things?
    Is ALA a pilot?

It's just a screen name and persona. (thanks, ALA)

Respectfully submitted,
    Emet and Associates, LLC
    Offering opinions all over the place
    Exactly! It's just a screen name. Sheesh!

Post Thanks / Like

I would just like to thank everybody for their support in my abscence.It shows that we are a genuine community on this forum.
    Old Cranky Man,you are very welcome on this forum,of that Im sure,but please,lighten up a little. I post on this forum principally to expose scammers,I have a few more lined up waiting in the wings,also I enjoy a little humour now and then,mostly now!
    You and the others here are entirely correct. I was out of line and I do sincerly apologize. I am afraid I was getting to be like those I did not like.

Post Thanks / Like

With all of the new things that are constantly being invented, the pulse engine is going to take us faster and farther. I read that it could get us to mars in 30 to 45 days instead of 6 to 9 months. NASA - Search Results

So with this in mind and at the rate that technology seems to be advancing, do not discount travel at the speed of light. Or even faster. Remember, everything that you have ever seen on Star Trek is coming true. Man will not be satisfied until all of these things are accomplished. Maybe not today or tomorrow. But it will happen. Just look at how far we have come in the last 100 years.