LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0

Thread: Fountaingate: Texting woman to sue

Post Thanks / Like

Fountaingate: Texting woman to sue

The West Australian January 21, 2011, 7:29 am

An American woman who fell into a shopping centre fountain while texting on her mobile phone says she is planning to sue - because shopping centre security didn't rush to her aid.

Cathy Marrero's unfortunate water entry has become a YouTube hit, with 1.5 million people watching it.

But Ms Marrero, 49, has told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper that she doesn't find the vision funny and that shopping centre staff in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania should have helped her instead of laughing at her predicament.

"I saw the water coming at me, I could see the pennies and nickels at the bottom of the fountain and then I was in it," she said in the Daily Mail report.

Security surveillance showed Ms Marrero falling into the water before struggling to get out and making a swift exit.

The video was posted with commentary by what is believed to be laughing mall employees.

Mrs Marrero said she was mortified by the incident.

"My issue is I don't think security was professional because they didn't send anyone to check on me until 20 minutes later and I had already left," she told the local Reading Eagle newspaper.

"Instead of laughing, they should have said, 'Is she OK?' and been down there right away to check on me."

After watching the woman's embarrassing fall, a worker is captured saying: 'And then she just awkwardly walks away'.
    'Oh my God! Play it back, play it back', one viewer said, wanting to see the hilarious footage again.

A cleaner eventually approaches Ms Marrero to see if she was hurt.

The security guard said: "Paedro asked her if she is all right and she said, 'Yes - I'm just a little wet.'"

Mrs Marrero said: "I usually don't walk and text, but I did this day. I won't any more."
    And she says she never texts while driving.

"It's funny, but you need to see the serious side of it," she said. "What if it was a senior citizen? Would it be funny then?"

She said she approached mall management about it and security officials told her it was not a big deal because no one could see her face in the video.

‘But I know it's me,’ she said.

Fountaingate: Texting woman to sue - The West Australian
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fountaingate: Texting woman to sue

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post
    The West Australian January 21, 2011, 7:29 am

An American woman who fell into a shopping centre fountain while texting on her mobile phone says she is planning to sue - because shopping centre security didn't rush to her aid.

Cathy Marrero's unfortunate water entry has become a YouTube hit, with 1.5 million people watching it.

But Ms Marrero, 49, has told Britain's Daily Mail newspaper that she doesn't find the vision funny and that shopping centre staff in Wyomissing, Pennsylvania should have helped her instead of laughing at her predicament.

"I saw the water coming at me, I could see the pennies and nickels at the bottom of the fountain and then I was in it," she said in the Daily Mail report.

Security surveillance showed Ms Marrero falling into the water before struggling to get out and making a swift exit.

The video was posted with commentary by what is believed to be laughing mall employees.

Mrs Marrero said she was mortified by the incident.

"My issue is I don't think security was professional because they didn't send anyone to check on me until 20 minutes later and I had already left," she told the local Reading Eagle newspaper.

"Instead of laughing, they should have said, 'Is she OK?' and been down there right away to check on me."

After watching the woman's embarrassing fall, a worker is captured saying: 'And then she just awkwardly walks away'.
    'Oh my God! Play it back, play it back', one viewer said, wanting to see the hilarious footage again.

A cleaner eventually approaches Ms Marrero to see if she was hurt.

The security guard said: "Paedro asked her if she is all right and she said, 'Yes - I'm just a little wet.'"

Mrs Marrero said: "I usually don't walk and text, but I did this day. I won't any more."
    And she says she never texts while driving.

"It's funny, but you need to see the serious side of it," she said. "What if it was a senior citizen? Would it be funny then?"

She said she approached mall management about it and security officials told her it was not a big deal because no one could see her face in the video.

‘But I know it's me,’ she said.

Fountaingate: Texting woman to sue - The West Australian
    Typical...! The perpetual victim attitude, "I screwed up therefore I should sue...!" I'm surprised she doesn't claim that the fountain shouldn't be there!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    Typical...! The perpetual victim attitude, "I screwed up therefore I should sue...!" I'm surprised she doesn't claim that the fountain shouldn't be there!
    Gotta keep something in reserve for the court case, you know.

It's a good thing she wasn't carrying a cup of coffee, or she'd be suing the barista and the coffee shop as well.

Come to think of it, the phone company should be forced to shoulder some responsibility, too.

As for that couple in the background, WELL, don't tell me they didn't intentionally ignore her and put her life at risk...... They've gotta be good for a coupla mill compensation.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When I saw the video I laughed myself silly, especially at how belligerant she became afterwards. I also liked how she threw in the part about how she was "texting someone from her church". lmao Then I thought, hmmmmm going to be a law suit of some kind. She'll find some half-assed atty to take this case and get her ten seconds of fame.

While working today I was listening to the news though and found out this interesting bit about Ms. Marrero (seems "church" has come a bit late for her)......today, she was in court for a status hearing on charges of five felony counts, including theft by deception and receiving stolen property!! ROTFL!!! Turns out Marrero's been out on $7,500 bail since 2009, after being charged with running up more than $5,000 in purchases on a co-worker's credit card at at a Target and a Zales jewelry store. According to court records, Ileana Rivera of Reading, Pa., who worked at the Zales jewelry store in the Fairgrounds Square Mall with Marrero, reported that Marrero had used her credit cards without permission.

Marrero allegedly made $4,177 in purchases at Zales and $1,055 in purchases at a Target around the time of August 2007, records show.

In August 2007, Rivera noticed she hadn't received her credit card bills and discovered that her address on the accounts was allegedly changed to that of Marrero's.

It gets better............According to public court documents, Marrero has convictions for retail theft four times and one other theft in New York from 1997 to 1999 and retail theft in York County in 1999.

She also received 12 months of probation after being convicted of a hit-and-run charge in Berks County in 2009.

Good grief!!!

No wonder she had a lawyer handy. I guess she figures on suing the mall to try and help her pay her attorney fees on her theft case now. Bejebus!!

Marrero's next court date is April 21, and she's facing about six months of house arrest and electronic monitoring,