Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is being a moderator at a hyip forum, being ethical?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is being a moderator at a hyip forum, being ethical?

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ol' Radical Me View Post
    On the contrary, the passengers would disembark before the ship set sail and would not end up shipwrecked. Likewise, if mods warn members and forum readers of the ills of the programs, they will probably not join. Ok, it would mean that the leaky ship would go out of business and the dodgy HYIP forum would do likewise, but who cares. It's not as if they do any good in the first place
    I think you are partially right , LORM. There are plenty of 'players' out there that know these are doomed, but hope to hit and run prior to the crash. They do require money from newbies for any longevity, thus all the 'I got paid' posts and attempts to shout down the naysayers. If just the players "invsted" the result theoretically would be an ever shortening cycle since if the player wasn't first in they'd stay out. (jmho)
    It seems like in this "industry" common sense is not all that common!

Post Thanks / Like

QUESTION:

At what point does something change from being "just a HYIP ponzi game" into "downright fraud"??

Is there some sort of unwritten rule which says once you go over a certain amount, it's officially no longer a "game" ??

Were Andy Bowdoin/Greg McKnight/Charis Johnson et al just unlucky that their particular "games" caught the imagination of the general public and went bigtime ??

Can an egg be "half rotten" or can someone be a "little bit pregnant" ??
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post
    QUESTION:

At what point does something change from being "just a HYIP ponzi game" into "downright fraud"??

Is there some sort of unwritten rule which says once you go over a certain amount, it's officially no longer a "game" ??

Were Andy Bowdoin/Greg McKnight/Charis Johnson et al just unlucky that their particular "games" caught the imagination of the general public and went bigtime ??

Can an egg be "half rotten" or can someone be a "little bit pregnant" ??
    What he said!

These games depend on someone losing their money and, as the HYIP forums are generally accessible to the general internet public, how can they guarantee that not one innocent victim gets caught up in them through them? After all, they are there so people can advertise and promote HYIPs. The discussions are generally about which illegal HYIP / unsustainable "program" is likely to last longer than others (with the exception of those few naysayers whose presence is soley to warn readers against the lot of them.

Funny thing, people still talk about legal "programs". Have you ever heard of a real business being called "a program"?? Lol

Post Thanks / Like

QUESTION:

When we keep it to ourselves, it's a game. When we start dragging people who are unaware of the game into the game, it's fraud. Yes, unfortunately "we" also includes me now as I've reached a point of no return.

There are no rules, other than the rules people make for themselves. From what I've seen the old school plays ethically, so they are the ones I'm going to learn from. Other than that, it's free for all.

Post Thanks / Like

On the contrary, the passengers would disembark before the ship set sail and would not end up shipwrecked.
    Whatever you say, darling. Maybe in your rosy world, not in real one. In real one, you'll get a 24 hr lock up and a shot of tranquilizers for yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finix View Post
    Whatever you say, darling. Maybe in your rosy world, not in real one. In real one, you'll get a 24 hr lock up and a shot of tranquilizers for yelling "fire" in a crowded theater.
    Now you are nit picking on the example wserra used. The point at issue is whether or not it is ethical to be a moderator on a HYIP forum, and my answer is NO unless you are about to call out the schemes for what they are. You wouldn't be a moderator on a forum like that if you weren't a habitual member and therefore "know" or "should know" what is going on.

I said
    These games depend on someone losing their money and, as the HYIP forums are generally accessible to the general internet public, how can they guarantee that not one innocent victim gets caught up in them through them?
    and you also said
    When we keep it to ourselves, it's a game. When we start dragging people who are unaware of the game into the game, it's fraud.
    so given the public nature of most HYIP forums and the fact that new "players" are their life blood, I think you have answered the original question.....darling

Post Thanks / Like

The point at issue is whether or not it is ethical to be a moderator on a HYIP forum
    Yes, it's ethical to be a mod on any forum. It's even ethical to profit from it as long as you don't rope in the suckers yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

new "players" are their life blood
    Doesn't matter, new or old. Once a player, always a player. That includes you, darling, however reluctant you might be to admit it right now.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn't matter, new or old. Once a player, always a player. That includes you, darling, however reluctant you might be to admit it right now.

Nothing to admit. As most here know, I joined and promoted one program in my life - AdSurfDaily. I can't rewrite history, much as I regret it. I was dumb enough to fall for a scam BUT I was not a "playa". I stupidly thought I was in a real advertising business. (Embarassing but true). We can all make one mistake,but that is still no excuse and I ain't making any. It's something I have to live with. (It is not a bad personal lesson either to learn that you dont know as much as you think you did.)

Anyway, after discovering the reality of what I had been involved in, thanks to the education offered to me by some of the members here and reading 100s of pages of court documents, I "went over to the other side" and will continue to pass on the education I was given to help others like me to avoid the frauds that are all over the internet masquerading as real business opportunities. If a few land up in jail it will be the icing on the cake.

And I still consider being a moderator on a forum whose principal purpose is to discuss and advertise illegal unregistered securities and the like is unethical. (darling)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's ethical to be a mod on any forum. It's even ethical to profit from it as long as you don't rope in the suckers yourself.
    Not so. Moderators are perceived by members as having power and credibility. Standing by silently gives credibility to people who do rope in suckers and helps enable them to do it. It's rather like not attempting to stop an avoidable accident or standing by and watching someone else commit a crime.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to admit. As most here know, I joined and promoted one program in my life - AdSurfDaily.
    Being scammed doesn't make you a player. Continuing to play word games with others, this time around under a banner of a scambuster, does.

Post Thanks / Like

Moderators are perceived by members as having power and credibility.
    Oh, please. Maybe by very few, but in general the crowd attracted to HYIPs are a bunch of natural born hell raisers with complete disrespect for any authority.

Post Thanks / Like

That is utter rubbish Finix. I expected better thinking from you. Have you ever heard of the poacher who becomes a game keeper?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by path2prosperity View Post
    Have you ever heard of the poacher who becomes a game keeper?
    He is still a hunter, only changed his prey type.

I've even heard of scammers who later became FBI agents. Same principle, though. You are still a player, even if you are playing for the other team. You nature doesn't change, what changes is the purpose you apply it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Now you are nit picking on the example wserra used. The point at issue is whether or not it is ethical to be a moderator on a HYIP forum, and my answer is NO unless you are about to call out the schemes for what they are. You wouldn't be a moderator on a forum like that if you weren't a habitual member and therefore "know" or "should know" what is going on.
    This is your opinion which you are more then entitled to....Personally I say you are wrong....So wrong that you simply haven't got a clue...
    There are more ways for a mod on a hyip forum to fight the good fight then just screaming "scam" in every hyip thread as you would have them do....
    And YES I speak from real experience....
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Post Thanks / Like

the only thing telling the truth up front would accomplish is get you locked up in your cabin
    Therefore what - lie? Hide the truth?

In such a situation and with your approach, you'd be totally useless even to yourself, let alone anyone else.
    And what good are you if you don't tell the truth? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't lend my good name to anything that required me to hide the ball. Maybe you think less of your name.

When we start dragging people who are unaware of the game into the game, it's fraud.
    How about where you must know that people who think they might actually make money are joining, and say nothing so that you aren't "locked in your cabin"? Aren't you part of the problem? Are you familiar with the phrase "willful blindness"?

It's even ethical to profit from it as long as you don't rope in the suckers yourself.
    You're walking down the street when you see a couple of thugs mugging an old lady. They grab her purse and run, and an ambulance takes her away - but no one except you sees the wad of cash that flew from her purse into the shadows near a building. When everybody leaves, you pick it up and walk away, whistling. After all, you didn't rope her in yourself.
    "A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
    - David Hume

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wserra View Post
    Therefore what - lie? Hide the truth?
    Sell life insurance or life jackets or something. Then jump the ship. Or don't get on it at all.

Post Thanks / Like

And what good are you if you don't tell the truth?
    I have no problem with that. I no longer have an overwhelming urge to share the truth with random people even if I know the truth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by okosh View Post
    There are more ways for a mod on a hyip forum to fight the good fight
    OK, I'll bite. What are they?
    - David Hume

Post Thanks / Like

I no longer have an overwhelming urge to share the truth with random people even if I know the truth.
    No one posited "random people". The proposition concerned people contemplating pissing their money away in a HYIP forum that you moderate.
    - David Hume

Post Thanks / Like

No one posited "random people". The proposition concerned people contemplating pissing their money away in a HYIP forum that you moderate.
    In your hypothetical situation when I'm a mod on a HYIP forum, the members are random people to me as I have no control over who joins. As for them pissing away their money, that's none of my damn business where they want to place their money. I would feel no obligation to them whatsoever in regards to having to enlighten them. It's not a job of the mod to educate, it's a job of the mod to make sure the discussion flow is per forum standard.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I'll bite. What are they?
    Isn't it obvious??
    One could post questions and facts to disprove what the admins and shills post.
    Expose those shilling with MPD....
    Expose admins who use MPD...
    Move threads to the bin faster then a mod-player would...
    Allow both sides, not just the shills version....

With a little skill and determination a mod in a hyip forum who is fighting the good fight could even close the whole place down
    ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Post Thanks / Like

It's not a job of the mod to educate, it's a job of the mod to make sure the discussion flow is per forum standard.
    In other words, to make the trains run on time.

Guess that's not the way I see it.
    - David Hume

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it obvious??
    So, when you wrote "There are more ways for a mod on a hyip forum to fight the good fight then just screaming "scam" in every hyip thread", you were speaking literally - because what you propose would amount to screaming "scam" in every hyip thread. I certainly think the management of a place like TalkGold would see it that way.

Good. No problem.
    - David Hume

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Is being a moderator at a hyip forum, being ethical?

Isn't it obvious??

With a little skill and determination a mod in a hyip forum who is fighting the good fight could even close the whole place down
    As I know you have not comply with such rules when you managed ET & T4C forums....