Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is being a moderator at a hyip forum, being ethical?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is being a moderator at a hyip forum, being ethical?

Quote Originally Posted by wserra View Post
    Guess that's not the way I see it.
    It's because you are using the wrong metaphors to describe the situation. Titanic, trains, etc. Then you get stuck with your imagination developing the metaphor and it takes you very far away from reality of the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finix View Post
    It's because you are using the wrong metaphors to describe the situation. Titanic, trains, etc. Then you get stuck with your imagination developing the metaphor and it takes you very far away from reality of the situation.
    Funny thing that, I was just thinking what an excellent metaphor a "train running on time" was for "everything running smoothly. Either way, it's a pretty amoral way to look at the ethical import of moderating a HYIP forum, which was the original question for this thread.

Like his signature line too
    "A wise man proportions belief to the evidence." David Hume
    The "evidence" of the nature of a HYIP forum is glaring when you look at the criteria for "forum standard" - they promote and inform about (positively as a rule) illegal and IMHO immoral HYIPs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ol' Radical Me View Post
    Funny thing that, I was just thinking what an excellent metaphor a "train running on time" was for "everything running smoothly. Either way, it's a pretty amoral way to look at the ethical import of moderating a HYIP forum, which was the original question for this thread.
    Another metaphor, courtesy of "Professor Tom" Lehrer:

"Vunce rockets are up,
    Who cares vhere zey come down?
    Zat's not my department."
    Says Wernher von Braun.
    "A wise man proportions belief to the evidence."
    - David Hume

Post Thanks / Like

illegal and IMHO immoral HYIPs.
    If I'm a mod on a HYIP forum, what's that to me? I'm not police, I'm not morality police either. What business is it of mine what people want to do in their spare time with their own money?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wserra View Post
    OK, I'll bite. What are they?
    In rare situations, when you see some wide eyed dreamer wonder into a HYIP forum for no apparent reason, you might want to help them find the exit. Other than that, HYIP forum members know which way is up better than the mods, they don't need any instructions on thrill seeking activities from others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Finix View Post
    If I'm a mod on a HYIP forum, what's that to me? I'm not police, I'm not morality police either. What business is it of mine what people want to do in their spare time with their own money?
    Perhaps you should ask that question of some poor idiot who has stumbled on one of these smooth running forums, followed the advice on them and invested and lost their retirement or medication funds in a HYIP. And before you say that it is not likely, it does happen. . Your answer demonstrates IMHO a total lack of ethics.

Equally a moderator who knowingly permits illegal activity or activity that they should know is illegal may, in the future, find out that it is not such an innocent pastime. Law enforcement is wising up to the activities on HYIP forums. They have already made it clear, in the last speight of indictments for financial fraud that they are becoming very much aware of the role of the forums in their promotion.

I suppose there are all sorts of metaphors one could use, but I wont bother as they are giving people the excuse to take this thread off topic! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps you should ask that question of some poor idiot who has stumbled on one of these smooth running forums
    I thought my post above addressed this rare situation. That would be one of the things one could do as a mod on a HYIP forum, but it's not a part of the job description per ce. Ethics in general means doing the right thing yourself (in this case, not scamming), not instructing others on what is right and what is wrong.