Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FanBox Scam Or Legit / Fanbox Lawsuit Against Numerous Does

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

FanBox Scam Or Legit / Fanbox Lawsuit Against Numerous Does

A friend of mine told me that one of her relatives received the following email from FanBox (I've removed any personal information from the email header and the URLs).

"From: FanBox Customer Protection <fbNOREPLY@myfanbox.com>
    To: [Removed for privacy]
    Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:24:10 AM
    Subject: Courtesy notice

I noticed that your FanBox account is not protected, despite your sizable earnings of $81.69.

I strongly recommend that you protect your funds by validating your account immediately.

If you need assistance, chat with a community expert.

-Maria Ashford, Customer Protection Team
    FanBox – Uplifting humanity by enabling opportunity"

2. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

re: FanBox Scam Or Legit / Fanbox Lawsuit Against Numerous Does

From the BBB report:
    "Consumer complaints allege charges appearing on their cell phone bills for services that they did not authorize and/or were unaware of. Some consumers state that they receive a text message stating they will be charge $9.95 unless they type "stop" and reply. Some consumers are still charged even if they follow these instructions. Consumers that contact the company directly for refund of services state they have difficulty obtaining any refund. Additionally consumers allege that the company is sending out text messages to individuals in their address book making the text appear to be from them and not a company. The text indicates that the individual has sent you a slide show to view. When recipients attempt to view the slide show they are unaware that they are signing up for a service. Many consumers don't understand what service they are being billed for. The BBB attempted to contact the business regarding the pattern of complaints, but the business did not respond to the BBB's attempts."
    The BBB has the business listed with an A- rating at the time of this post.
    Last edited by JustTooMuchTime; 02-26-2013 at 01:45 AM.

4. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wikipedia article on SMS.ac
    SMS.ac, Inc. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

"SMS.ac Inc. is a mobile data and Internet communications company based in San Diego, California. The company (and its spinoff subsidiary Fanbox) has been widely criticized for charging unrequested SMS services from consumers and for failing to respond to the complaints of users[1] and for Fanbox's e-mail[2][3] activities. The company provides distribution and billing to people buying and selling digital content (video, music, and applications) through (SMS) mobile services[citation needed] and web-based applications. SMS.ac's website integrates its mobile billing technology with various social networking services like photos, videos, music, and comments.[4][5] SMS.ac claims over 50 million registered users in more than 180 countries.[6]
    The SMS.ac website domain name uses the .ac top-level domain for Ascension Island."
    "In 2008, SMS.ac was fined £250,000 by PhonepayPlus for operating misleading and unfair mobile-terminating text message services without giving proper pricing information, and barred from operating reverse-billed services in the UK until it became compliant with the PhonepayPlus compliance rules.[11] Following the ruling SMS.ac brought their practices into compliance with UK regulations."
    Relate to above:
    Feb 12, 2008:
    SMS.ac fined 175,000 pounds by UK regulator
    Last edited by JustTooMuchTime; 02-26-2013 at 01:37 AM.

6. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF) forum has it's own Fanbox scam thread starting with this post:

Last edited by littleroundman; 09-07-2014 at 06:13 AM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

8. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by littleroundman; 09-07-2014 at 06:15 AM.

10. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by littleroundman; 09-07-2014 at 06:17 AM.

12. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by littleroundman; 09-07-2014 at 06:21 AM.

14. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The BBB has the business listed with an A- rating at the time of this post.[/QUOTE]

This may be nothing new, but at some level I think the BBB is almost a scam itself. I feel fairly comfortable when they have a business rated F that staying a way is a good idea, but an A or A- seems more like a starting point than a stamp of approval since business is paying to be rated. Recently was looking for someone to do some work on the house, one company with 0 complaints A, one with 20 complaints A-. Nonsensical.

16. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ribshaw View Post
    This may be nothing new, but at some level I think the BBB is almost a scam itself. I feel fairly comfortable when they have a business rated F that staying a way is a good idea, but an A or A- seems more like a starting point than a stamp of approval since business is paying to be rated. Recently was looking for someone to do some work on the house, one company with 0 complaints A, one with 20 complaints A-. Nonsensical.
    I agree. Actually I've seen many good or even excellent businesses rated F. That was one of the things that came up in the abc investigation. Wolfgang Puck was one of the people they talked to who had that problem.

18. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The friend of mine who asked me to look into this told me she got an email telling her to click to see a photo from a friend ( who she thinks actually did sign up for FanBox). Here's what she said happened:

"When I clicked the link to see the pictures, there were no pictures at all, instead I immediately got the page for setting up my account. So that's how it works - whatever you click they create an account for you; they don't even ask whether you want to create one. "

20. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Here's more from my friend. She said:
    "Here we are.
    Note that I did absolutely nothing to earn this. LOL "

I don't even think she set up an account there. I'll doublecheck that.

Here's what came in the email to her (I've removed names, etc., for privay reasons).

"In March 11 you earned $12.97 (Your FanBox homepage)
    All-time earnings: $12.97

Got questions? See what others are saying or chat with an expert

HOW DID I MAKE MONEY?
    Originally, you were invited by [removed] to the FanBox beta product launch of IPL.

How does IPL (I'll Pay Later) work?
    1. Earn by advertising your product, service or blog now; but pay later.
    2. Don't have a product, service or blog? Participate in the profits from other people's sales now; but pay later. This is called "Boosting"

Of your FanBox earnings yesterday, you earned:
    100% from Boosting (3 min video)

(Boosting is when you fund other's Ads and earn money when those Ads receive clicks). 100% profile completeness earns you double profits!

HOW ELSE CAN I EARN MONEY ON FANBOX?
    * Blogging - post anything. You earn when people read your free blogs (3 min video). New: Complete your profile and earn double from your blogs!
    * Selling - sell your services, stuff or even your blogs (3 min video).
    * Advertising - earn by launching simple ads for your or anyone else's blogs, services or stuff (4 min video). And now, advertisers earn double profits when they complete their profile.

WHEN DO I GET MY MONEY?
    MATURATION - with your earnings from any month:
    * 30 days after the month, you can spend it on products and services within FanBox
    * 60 days after the month, you can use it to accelerate your earnings with FanBox ads and boosting
    * 90 days after the month, you can cash it out via PayPal or check, or use it to pay your IPL processing fees
    * WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT?

Most important:
    Double your daily profits by completing your FanBox profile (current status: 0% complete). It only takes 1 minute!

You should also:
    * Accelerate your earnings with your $487.53 in Available IPL funds
    * It's time to do something fresh: post something now!
    * Visit your homepage to see what others are doing to achieve success
    * Chat with a volunteer expert - get all your questions answered

QUICK LINKS:
    * Review your FanBox balance and earnings
    * View your “I’ll Pay Later” details including your limit, available and utilized amounts
    * See the top performers on the Leaderboard, or hear how FanBoxers are changing their lives
    * Discover the movement's purpose and history
    * Got questions?
    * Watch quick videos in the Learning Center, or ask an expert anything"

22. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I asked her if she ever set up a FanBox account and this is what she said:

"According to them, I did.

Truth is they created one for me.

They never asked whether I want to create an account, and a generic account was automatically created and displayed to me when I first clicked the link to see the alleged photos.

There were questions about my credit cards, PayPal, phone number and stuff but I skipped all of those.
    So I guess they would insist on those details if I ever wanted to cash out.

It's so convenient, you earn with a single click! ;-)"

24. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The most recent email FanBox sent to me friend - now they want my friend to pay a processing fee to collect her earnings:

"Your March IPL processing fee of $5.76 is due on Apr. 26. (Learn more)

Pay your processing fee to protect your account and money.

Please note that not paying your IPL processing fee may result in losing your IPL account (current balance: $1,000.00) and current earnings of $389.78 since you started utilizing IPL.

Need help paying your processing fee? Learn how or talk to an expert volunteer.

Jessica Martinez
    FanBox Billing Department"

26. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Most recent email. Again my friend has done NOTHING with FanBox, so the "recent earnings" claim seems to be some sort of ploy to get people to pay processing fees.

From: FanBox Customer Protection <fbNOREPLY@myfanbox.com>
    Date: Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM
    Subject: Immediate action required
    To: [removed]

FanBox loves its members and has taken proactive measures to protect you and your earnings. But we need your help.

To keep you safe, recently we launched free account protection. Our records indicate the following status for your account (your earnings: $395.75):

1. Security question Status: Complete
    2. Validate your identity Status: Incomplete Complete now
    3. Mobile phone Status: Incomplete Complete now

These steps help us identify you as the owner of your account when you write to us for help, or attempt to cash out your earnings.

Do you need help? Chat with a community expert.

28. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just got this from my friend today:

"They extended my deadline with a late fee and they have a new payment option called Payza (?).
    But I still don't know what exactly IPL is. :-)
    Didn't have time to research their "earning system".

Here's the email FanBox sent:

From: FanBox Account Protection Team <fbNOREPLY@myfanbox.com>
    Date: Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 8:40 PM
    Subject: “I’ll Pay Later” processing fee due
    To: [REMOVED]

Hi [removed],

So far, you have earned $418.22 since you started utilizing IPL. Watch the video to learn about IPL.

Your March IPL processing fee of $5.76 became due on Apr. 26, 2013. You'll want to pay your processing fee immediately to protect your account and money.

Please note that if your processing fee has not been paid by May. 6, 2013, a late fee will be added to your processing fee.

Amount due if paid before May. 6, 2013: $5.76
    Amount due if paid on or after May. 6, 2013: $15.76

Did you know?

You can avoid manual payments and late fees, and protect your earnings, by setting up Automatic Account Protection . It’s a free service!"

30. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hope your friend is smart enough to stay away from these people.

New Product Launch: I'll Pay Later (IPL) - FanBox.com

"Johnny Cash helps education for the disabled."

New Product Launch: I’ll Pay Later (IPL)

I am very excited to have the opportunity to announce the general launch and availability of this exciting, new product!

“I’ll Pay Later” – or IPL – is a fast and easy way for a person to immediately accelerate their earnings.

IPL lets you earn real money NOW - using FanBox Ads and Boosting – but NOT pay for those Ads and Boosting until LATER.

In short, IPL means the opportunity – for everyone -- to get ahead NOW.

It is one big step in the direction of “leveling the playing field” – one of our stated goals as a community.

What is IPL and how does it work?

Here is another blog people need to read before getting involved with this IPL:

http://liteleaf.blogspot.com/2011/01...ent-blogs.html
    Last edited by scratchycat; 04-27-2013 at 02:56 PM.
    Don't get ripped off!! Stay informed!

32. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scratchycat View Post
    I hope your friend is smart enough to stay away from these people.
    Yep. She is. She was just doing research on it because a relative of hers got involved. Since she's been getting the emails, she's been sending them to me so I can document exactly what they do.

We were trying to figure out what that IPL was. I'll send her that link. Thanks.

Here's their screen to pay the processing fee:

34. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustTooMuchTime View Post
    Yep. She is. She was just doing research on it because a relative of hers got involved. Since she's been getting the emails, she's been sending them to me so I can document exactly what they do.

We were trying to figure out what that IPL was. I'll send her that link. Thanks.

Here's their screen to pay the processing fee:
    You are welcome!!
    Don't get ripped off!! Stay informed!

36. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When pimps like Michael Clayton from Adlandpro are pushing a program, you can be sure that there is something fishy.

Michael Clayton's Fan Box Spiel

"You can easily earn $150 To $750 a day
    by Michael Clayton April 19, 2013
    Like on FanBox Like on Facebook Tweet
    "

Michael Clayton hawks FanBox on Adlandpro

38. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The latest FanBox email sent to my friend:

From: FanBox Account Protection Team <fbNOREPLY@myfanbox.com>
    Date: Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:30 PM
    Subject: Penalty courtesy notice
    To: [Removed]

Hi [Removed],

So far, you have earned $472.28 since you started utilizing IPL. Watch the video to learn about IPL.

Your March IPL processing fee remains due. You'll want to pay your processing fee immediately to protect your account and money.

Please note that if your processing fee has not been paid by May. 21, 2013, a penalty will be added to your processing fee.

Amount due if paid before May. 21, 2013: $15.76
    Amount due if paid on or after May. 21, 2013: $21.52

Did you know?

You can protect your earnings and avoid manual payments by setting up Automatic Account Protection . It’s a free service!

Quick links:
    Pay your processing fee now
    Review your FanBox Bank balance and earnings
    View your “I’ll Pay Later” details including your limit, available and utilized amounts and how your processing fee is calculated
    Take a minute to get Automatic Account Protection and never make another manual payment
    Got questions?
    Watch quick videos in the Learning Center
    Ask your Success Coach anything – including how your earnings mature
    Got billing questions? Ask the FanBox Billing Department (billing questions only)

Regards,
    The FanBox Account Protection Team

40. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been a member of FanBox almost two years and considering I have cashed out honest earnings I have made on many occasions I can tell you it is NOT a scam and it is REAL! I was very skeptical when I joined from a link I receive from my dad, however one I received my first cash out and have learned how the site works I know it is for real!

As of now the only people who can sign up (the system no longer begins a profile because if you click on a link from an email or Facebook post it will not allow you onto the site without a personal invitation from a current member, the only reason it did that to begin with is for those who decide to stay they already have the beginning process started for them).

There are other sites that will 'begin' a profile for you which you have the choice to continue or not. I chose to continue and finish the profile completion process. Don't want the account then simply delete it. It doesn't affect anything outside of FanBox.

The only people who really think this site is not for real are those who do not understand how to use it nor take the time to really learn about how it all works. Or those who got a message saying they had some earnings and thought they were going to be able to 'get something for nothing' and were upset because they found out that yes, the earnings are for real but if you want to keep them and cash out (if they were only gained from using the I'll Pay Later account aspect) there is a fair usage fee 1.5% of the IPL amount used. Only those who don't take the time to learn and do the actual research think it is not for real.

Speaking from experience I can say it is for real and not a scam. I can provide proof of my cash outs if needed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf14u
    I can provide proof of my cash outs if needed
    Victims of the Madoff fraud were able to get "cash outs" for years.

Your point being.............what ????

It would be a pretty poor fraud if no one could get any "cash outs" now, wouldn't it ???

43. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow really! You cannot compare Madoff with a social network that doesn't require you to put any of your own money in it. That's absurd and an insult to the victims of Madoff. Get real buddy. You can also cash out from your local bank, from your 401k. Should I list more? Are they all comparable to a Madoff scam? You are a joke. Why don't you open up an account with FanBox and see for yourself? Oh, I know that would be too real for you to find out FanBox is attempting to help humanity with a place where you can earn money using their money or just from selling your products, or services. Or, you can just share your knowledge. 97% of the revenue made from people paying the small fee for the loan of IPL funds goes back into the community blogging pool that the community gets their "cash outs" from. You would be stepping out of the box to realize that FanBox is trying to do something to help the poverty situation in the world. You my friend are only helping good people learning for themselves that there is something out there to help them improve their lives by all your negative BS. I challenge you to find out for yourself. Are you big enough to take that challenge. I would bet you aren't. Am I right?

Post Thanks / Like

I meant that you are keeping good people from a great thing by spewing all your unfounded, uninformed comments. You should really check it out yourself before you open your mouth and remove all doubt that you are very ignorant and comment on things you know nothing about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdw333
    Am I right?
    Yep, if it keeps you happy, you're right.

NEXT.

47. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post