Thanks Thanks:  0
LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Rippln a pyramid scheme? MLM? fun game? You decide.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Rippln a pyramid scheme? MLM? fun game? You decide.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Shmoe View Post
    It looks like Jamie Waters is getting involved in yet another dodgy "business" (Is this PLAN D for little Jamie Waters?)
    Rippln as soon as I came across this it screamed pyramid scheme to me.

Are you Rippln yet? | Jamie Waters

Probably deserves it's own thread.
    Oz over on his excellent Behind MLM blog has an analysis of Rippln and some of those behind the scenes of this "opportunity" (and, I use the word loosely)
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Is Rippln a pyramid scheme? MLM? fun game? You decide.

Rippln as soon as I came across this it screamed pyramid scheme to me.

You need to Recruit Recruit
    Recruit Some of the usual easy money buzzwords mentioned like "residual income"

Is it or isn't it YOU DECIDE

Yahoo! Answers - There's this thing going around called rippln I want to know of it's a scam or what?

If Simon Stepsys or Mark Ghobril are involved it's 100% a SCAM!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Rippln a pyramid scheme? MLM? fun game? You decide.

Given who I've seen promoting it, I'm expecting the worst. Maybe they will surprise me, but I am dubious of it. People who gravitate to illegal schemes like flies to dog poo are not a good sign.
    If you are in Prosper With Integrity, and do not like that your personal information has been published here, please talk to these good people: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov http://www.ic3.gov http://www.fbi.gov

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, I made it six minutes in and had to quickly switch to an Epic Fail Compilation to keep muh sanity. What is it with these payment plans: recruit, passed up, team captain, fans, ripple effect, unlock all 10 ripples and here comes the all star bonus and then rinse and repeat

First I would like to suggest they call their fantastic new product the I Phone.

Capture.JPG

Second I suggest he return his Grandpappy's coat and find honest work.

Capture1.JPG
    "It's virtually impossible to violate rules ... but it's impossible for a violation to go undetected, certainly not for a considerable period of time." Bernie Madoff
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scam-...98399986981403

5. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I stopped listening at 2 minutes and 17 seconds into the video. Way, way too many red flags right from the start. As ribshaw and others already posted, Recruit, recruit, recruit! and then "Crapola"

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent link here provided by littleroundman

Oz over on his excellent Behind MLM blog has an analysis of Rippln and some of those behind the scenes of this "opportunity" (and, I use the word loosely)

Post Thanks / Like

Here is one MLM industry expert explaining what comprises a pyramid scheme:

[Allow me to offer something of a peremptory jackboot warning. Mr. Clements has enjoyed a rather contentious relationship with a number of the posters here, myself included. None of that has anything to do with the topic of this thread which is if Rippln is a pyramid scheme. I'm offing this video because I do think Len hits several important points about the relevant laws. I thank you in advance for not bashing him in this particular thread for issues that fall outside of this topic.]

I think the important word here is motive. Why would someone pay to become a Rippln affiliate? The information about the company and the comp plan is incomplete by design at the moment and I'm not willing to sign their NDA to get the details which are sure to leak out soon. But from what is available now the Rippln app will be free to use, if it's a whiz bang wonderful app you can download and use it without paying for it. This would also mean an affiliate can not make money by promoting the company's product.

If the above is true then the app itself can not be the motive for paying to become a Rippln affiliate, the only motive to pay would seem to be that it's the only way to get paid. Len makes the point that sales aids or distributor tools, basically anything which is only of use to distributors and of no potential value to a customer can not be commissionable. Again at this moment the full Rippln comp plan is not available but it seems the only thing a customer might find of value is the app and that isn't what the affiliates earn a commission on.

In short, I don't see any possible motive for paying into Rippln other than the expectation of income. I'm not saying the company is in denial but this is defiantly King Tut territory.
    So your prophets of finance have fallen on their collective proverbial face, and you hear muffled voices calling: Welcome to the human race.
    You made a killing dealing real estate at NASA selling cemetery plots in outer space til some falling coffins crashed upon your doorstep: Welcome to the human race.

Open up your heart...

Welcome to RealScam.com.

9. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

On other hand they invested more than usual in the promotional video. Usually for scam like this it is a PowerPoint presentation or crummy Youtube Video.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fromthehood View Post
    On other hand they invested more than usual in the promotional video. Usually for scam like this it is a PowerPoint presentation or crummy Youtube Video.
    With expectation of return, dude.

"There is a sucker born every minute." -- usually misattributed by P.T. Barnum
    ---
    A MLM Skeptic (not a Cynic) covering scams, critical thinking, and psychology
    http://amlmskeptic.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Credit where it's due, these people have some slick marketing. Here is Rippln's NDA video that's so secret and hush hush they don't want you to share it with anyone who doesn't go to their YouTube page to find it for themselves:

There, now don't you feel special?

Something jumped out to me when watching the comp plan video Joe shared in the second post of this thread. The first seven and a half minutes of the eleven and a half minute video was describing a pure pyramid scheme but then shifted into "but wait, there's more" mode. What is that more? Well, in a word, Spam.

The first two steps in Riplln's rollout as detailed in the video above are the current NDA phase which they are currently in and step two is the straight up pay to play pyramid deal. All of the money being used to pay affiliates comes directly from the money the affiliates pay to join the comp plan. But sometime "latter this year" they roll out phase three, the "Rippln Ecosystem" in which all the app users, pay and free will get deluged with wave after wave (Rippln, get it) of offers for goods and services all delivered seamlessly to their mobile device by the app.

I was looking at a smart phone just the other day and thought to myself, this is cool and all but why can't I get more unsolicited commercial communications requiring me to click on something to make go away? Well the good folks at Rippln must have been reading my mind and now they have the app for that. But the good news is that this will add a very small outside revenue steam to the company so they will be able to say that slightly less than 100% of the money being used to pay the affiliates comes from other affiliates. Phase four they speak of in slightly hushed tones but the upshot seems to be that the "players and coaches" will be able to compete directly with all the other spam Rippln will be pushing out letting them market their goods and services directly to their fellow Rippln members.

You know there's a reason that facebook sorta tries to limit the ways you can spam people with bizopps and other products and services, it's because the vast majority of people who use the service find that sort of thing annoying. Rippln on the other hand will be a social network made up of serial spammers. I almost hope this takes off and in a big way because then all those people will have a place to congregate and perhaps will leave the rest of us alone.
    So your prophets of finance have fallen on their collective proverbial face, and you hear muffled voices calling: Welcome to the human race.
    You made a killing dealing real estate at NASA selling cemetery plots in outer space til some falling coffins crashed upon your doorstep: Welcome to the human race.

Open up your heart...

Welcome to RealScam.com.

13. Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GlimDropper View Post
    I was looking at a smart phone just the other day and thought to myself, this is cool and all but why can't I get more unsolicited commercial communications requiring me to click on something to make go away?
    That was laugh out loud funny.

I did get to thinking about the Kindle Fire I bought last Xmas where I had the option of buying WITH Ads or WITHOUT Ads, just checked the price and it is $284 W/O, and $269 WITH. And then on the apps front I can't think of a single app that I have paid money for, Freecell that had an ad between games was quickly removed. So I could not see from a marketing standpoint this app being worth more than $15, and probably far less since I doubt they have the advertising base that Amazon does.

From a pure business standpoint (all upline, captain, & loop d' loop nonsense aside) is there a large enough population of people that will opt for the advertising in order to save $15 and/or pay a premium for an app they can likely get elsewhere for free? I suspect not, but I am a dreamstealer who seldom sees the big picture.
    "It's virtually impossible to violate rules ... but it's impossible for a violation to go undetected, certainly not for a considerable period of time." Bernie Madoff

15. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamie Waters slowly walking away from Banners Broker & promoting Rippln

17. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I was just wondering to myself by what means the Rippln crew are planning on paying their members?

I would assume BACS or PayPal or some such reliable means.

I doubt a modern high-tech operation such as this would use dodgy payment processors would they?

Post Thanks / Like

Not to seem elitist, but does it look like he shot that video in a spare bedroom rented from Brad Kamanski? The video was much better than his first, but I was really expecting his mom to pop in with a sandwich.

This is what internet gurus need to be videoing if they want to motivate folks, not a support staff of three goldfish. Think bigger people.

Just to play devils advocate does anyone see any business merit to the ribler app?

20. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I just received this mail:

"I've been working behind the scenes on a new viral app that's about to launch, and I thought that you might be interested.

I just signed an NDA to get more info, and was given the ability to invite just 5 people, and I thought that you'd be a perfect fit.

You can check it out here:
    rippln
    Use this invite code to get in: xxxxxxxx

Fill out the NDA form, and then let me know what questions you have."

I read in MLM Help desk that Rippln has threatened to terminate any affiliate caught discussing or promoting Rippln using the information from their inner-circle (specifics about the compensation plan, including Domestic and Global affiliate qualification), until CEO Brian Underwood gives the go-ahead.

What is The RippLn Mobile, and is it an MLM Income Opportunity? | MLM Help Desk

That is a very red flag!!!

I might just join sign that NDA and then spill the beans.
    Last edited by GlimDropper; 04-23-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Edited at user request

22. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Rippln Investigation: Is It A MLM Pyramid Scheme Scam?

Some good points here

Post Thanks / Like

Rippln Investigation: Is It A MLM Pyramid Scheme Scam?

Part 2 here

Post Thanks / Like

Is that so-called investigation uploaded by an OceanSide MLM rep? I think so...

Can't find Rippln's real office. The only address I can find appears to be a virtual office (no suite number) in Melissa TX.
    ---
    A MLM Skeptic (not a Cynic) covering scams, critical thinking, and psychology
    http://amlmskeptic.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Non Disclosure Agreement
    It is understood and agreed between Rippln, Inc. and the signing party, (collectively referred to as “the Parties”) that the Parties herein
    would each like to provide the other with certain information that may be considered confidential and/or proprietary. To ensure the
    protection of such information and in consideration of the agreement to exchange said information, the parties agree as follows:

1. The confidential information to be disclosed under this Agreement (“Confidential Information”) can be described as and includes:
    Technical and business information relating to proprietary ideas, patentable ideas and/or trade secrets, existing and/or contemplated
    products and services, research and development, production, projections, customers, clients, marketing, and current or future business
    plans and models, regardless of whether such information is designated as “Confidential Information” at the time of its disclosure.
    In addition to the above, Confidential Information shall also include, and the parties shall have a duty to protect, other confidential and/or
    sensitive information which is (a) disclosed as such in writing and marked as confidential (or with other similar designation) at the time of
    disclosure; and/or (b) disclosed by in any other manner and identified as confidential at the time of disclosure and is also summarized and
    designated as
    confidential in a written memorandum delivered within thirty (30) days of the disclosure.

2. The parties shall use the Confidential Information only for the purpose of exploring a potential business and/or consulting relationship
    between the Parties, and shall not otherwise disclose any confidential information to other parties unless mutually agreed in writing.

3. The Parties shall limit disclosure of Confidential Information within its own organization to its directors, officers, and/or partners a
    need to know and shall not disclose Confidential Information to any third party (whether an individual, corporation, or other entity)
    without prior written consent. The parties shall satisfy its obligations under this paragraph if it takes affirmative measures to ensure
    compliance with these confidentiality obligations by its employees, agents, consultants and others who are permitted access to or use of
    the Confidential Information.

4. This Agreement imposes no obligation upon the Parties with respect to any Confidential Information (a) that was possessed before
    receipt; (b) is or becomes a matter of public knowledge through no fault of receiving party; (c) is rightfully received from a third party
    not owing a duty of confidentiality; (d) is disclosed without a duty of confidentiality to a third party by, or with the authorization of the
    disclosing party; or (e) is independently developed.

5. The parties warrant that they have the right to make the disclosures under this Agreement.

6. This Agreement shall not be construed as creating, conveying, transferring, granting or conferring upon either party any rights,
    license or authority in or to the information exchanged, except the limited right to use Confidential Information specified in paragraph 2.
    Furthermore and specifically, no license or conveyance of any intellectual property rights is granted or implied by this Agreement.

7. Neither party has an obligation under this Agreement to enter into any final and binding agreement with the other Party. Furthermore,
    both parties acknowledge and agree that the exchange of information under this Agreement shall not commit or bind either party to any
    present or future contractual relationship (except as specifically stated herein), nor shall the exchange of information be construed as an
    inducement to act or not to act in any given manner.

8. Neither party shall be liable to the other in any manner whatsoever for any decisions, obligations, costs or expenses incurred, changes in
    business practices, plans, organization, products, services, or otherwise, based on either party’s decision to use or rely on any information
    exchanged under this Agreement.

9. If there is a breach or threatened breach of any provision of this Agreement, it is agreed and understood that the non- breaching party
    shall have no adequate remedy in money or other damages and accordingly shall be entitled to injunctive relief; provided however, no
    specification in this Agreement of any particular remedy shall be construed as a waiver or prohibition of any other remedies in the event of
    a breach or threatened breach of this Agreement.

10. This Agreement states the entire agreement between the parties concerning the disclosure of Confidential Information and supersedes
    any prior agreements, understandings, or representations with respect thereto. Any addition or modification to this Agreement must be
    made in writing and signed by authorized representatives of both parties. This Agreement is made under and shall be construed according
    to the laws of the State of Texas. In the event that this agreement, is breached, any and all disputes must be settled in a court of competent
    jurisdiction in the State of Texas.

11. If any of the provisions of this Agreement are found to be unenforceable, the remainder shall be enforced as fully
    as possible and the unenforceable provision(s) shall be deemed modified to the limited extent required to permit
    WHEREFORE, the parties acknowledge that they have read and understand this Agreement and voluntarily accept the duties and
    obligations set forth herein.

Rippln, Inc.
    Address: 901 Sam Rayburn Highway
    Melissa, Texas 75454

Not easy for simple minds like me to understand what that REALLY means.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like

red flag #1:

this agreement is made under and shall be construed according to the laws of the state of texas. In the event that this agreement, is breached, any and all disputes must be settled in a court of competent jurisdiction in the state of Texas.

Post Thanks / Like

And what is so special about the Law in Texas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newto View Post
    And what is so special about the Law in Texas?
    Nothing at all.

HOWEVER, it means no matter where the complainant resides, he or she will be forced to use the Texas court system to resolve any disputes.

Post Thanks / Like

This posted over at TechCrunch What Not To Do In Your Startup Promo Video | TechCrunch

jonathanbudd
    11 hours ago
    Hey techcrunch community,

This is Jonathan Budd. I'm one of the team members over here at Rippln, & first off... appreciate the time & thought everyone is putting into our model. We're honored to be a part of the conversation here...and look forward to clearing up a lot of the mis information, & opinions people are offering about our company.

It's difficult to deny the effectiveness of our opening marketing at this point, judging by how we are having this conversation on techcrunch's blog... so say whatever you will about that. But the assertions that we are operating an illegal pyramid scheme are false, & based on a lot of people's ignorance of the subject.

I'm a bit surprised that techcrunch allowed this article to be posted, with such a minimal amount of research into who we are, or what our model actually is. We are currently partnered with a software provider that is responsible for tracking the ripple, & has processed over $1 billion in transactions. Our partners have been behind many successful companies both domestically and internationally. Since we entered into our buzz building phase only 10 days ago, more information will be coming out about the Rippln model, ownership, & product roll out strategy soon.

Far from being a pyramid scheme... Rippln is the first incentivized sharing technology platform. Through our API, our platform gives users the ability to track their ripple effect across the globe as they share a new app, product, or service. We believe transparency is missing from the social graph, & that users have a right to know the value they are creating via their word of mouth marketing.
    At Rippln, you will have the data of how your social influence spreads when you share one of our products, & if you decide to participate in our rewards program... you can monetize the transactions that take place inside your network. At it's core, Rippln is a user acquisition model for our core products we will be bringing to the market place. However unlike most companies, we believe the user deserves to share in the rewards of their word of mouth marketing. A concept that our users believe in too, as we've just crossed 200,000 people in our first 10 days.

We will continue to update the world as we get closer to releasing our first products, & activating the compensation side of the rippln plan.

We welcome feedback, and we iterate quickly based on how the market is responding. If you've got something to say that isn't an opinion grounded in absolutely zero knowledge of business opportunity rules, regulations, & case law... we welcome your insight into our model.
    To be quite frank though, there's not a single person on techcrunch in this thread who's had one legitimate criticism about biz opp regulation. I can assure you, we have far more to lose than any one of you, and have thought a lot longer & harder then you have about the long term viability of this model. And we simply believe it's an idea who's time has come.

If you dislike our marketing... that's your opinion. But we're proud of the buzz we've created in the marketplace, and will continue to test new direct response concepts, ideas, & media as we roll out more of our company in the future. Hopefully there will be something other technology companies seeking to get buzz might be able to learn.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions as time permits, we're pretty busy right now. Thanks for listening.

Sincerely,
    Jonathan Budd

Post Thanks / Like

Our partners have been behind many successful companies both domestically and internationally.
    "Many successful companies" anyone have an idea who these overachievers are? Seems to me these companies would be named in any promotional piece.

At Rippln, you will have the data of how your social influence spreads when you share one of our products, & if you decide to participate in our rewards program... you can monetize the transactions that take place inside your network. At it's core, Rippln is a user acquisition model for our core products we will be bringing to the market place. However unlike most companies, we believe the user deserves to share in the rewards of their word of mouth marketing.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the actual business merits of the app itself?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribshaw View Post
    From a pure business standpoint (all upline, captain, & loop d' loop nonsense aside) is there a large enough population of people that will opt for the advertising in order to save $15 and/or pay a premium for an app they can likely get elsewhere for free? I suspect not, but I am a dreamstealer who seldom sees the big picture.
    Nothing wrong with being a dreamstealer.

33. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post