LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0

Thread: Tupperware - Another MLM Scam?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Tupperware - Another MLM Scam?

Personally, I have never liked Tupperware. It was a bigtime thing back when with the parties and such. Now you see it being sold online and it along with Avon seems to be a legimate business until you look further.

I have not investigated Avon yet but it sounds much like Jerky Direct and there is little if any money to be made.

Back to Tupperware, I have wondered about it and this morning received news direct from a 'friend' in FB, telling her story.

I am no longer selling Tupperware I wasnt making any money & so i decided enough was enough. I was paying for a website that wasnt paying me in return. So I gave it up. I had to pay because I never had the sales they wanted each month. So I turned it in..... Not to mention they advertise all over the place & it stops the consultants from selling it & earning a commission off there sales for Tupperware."
    You can read some of their claims of how great this opportunity is here.

If any of you have more information maybe you can share. I just touched on this but felt it needed to be posted here. Would it be correct to inform this person to file a complaint with IC3?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Re: Tupperware - Another MLM Scam?

I have not looked at the comp plan, but it is MLM. So, despite the promises of a great opportunity, there will likely be a 97% loss rate for the reps. This one is harder to talk about because growing up in the seventies we had tons of tupperware in the house. I still have some of the plastic glasses as it is hard to part with them.

I think at one point Tupperware went into Target stores here and there was a big uproar from the reps. Things have changed since the seventies. With the internet and large stores that carry a full market and almost everything else known to man, MLM is an antiquated, uneccessary and totally inefficient way to do business.

Soapboxmom
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by honestme11 View Post
    If any of you have more information maybe you can share. I just touched on this but felt it needed to be posted here. Would it be correct to inform this person to file a complaint with IC3?
    The first question I would ask is "why" ??

Why would anyone want to sell Tupperware ??

Why would anyone want to buy Tupperware ???

What is in the Tupperware range which couldn't be bought elsewhere cheaper, of similar or better quality, and more conveniently available without having to wait for delivery or attend a "party" ???

Other than the comp plan...............WHY ?????

As far as reporting Tupperware to IC3, again I would ask "Why" ???

What has Tupperware done, specifically ??

IC3s' own website shows the IC3 mission statement as being:

The Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C), and the Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).
    IC3's mission is to serve as a vehicle to receive, develop, and refer criminal complaints regarding the rapidly expanding arena of cyber crime. The IC3 gives the victims of cyber crime a convenient and easy-to-use reporting mechanism that alerts authorities of suspected criminal or civil violations. For law enforcement and regulatory agencies at the federal, state, local and international level, IC3 provides a central referral mechanism for complaints involving Internet related crimes.
    Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) | Home

Has your friend read the fine print in the agreement she signed when she joined up ??

What type of cyber crime does she allege has taken place ???
    Last edited by littleroundman; 04-05-2011 at 09:23 AM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I agree SBM about MLMs and really don't understand the logic of getting involved in one. Usually it is the thrill of having your own company and website, which we know in reality is not yours and you won't make anything. Some people don't know this and try it thinking they can make a living.

I remember the cups/glasses and could not wait to throw them away. How different we all are and that is good!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LRM, thank you for the response. I didn't say she was going to file a complaint, I just asked if anyone thought it was a good idea. I get your message loud and clear.
    The first question I would ask is "why" ??

Why would anyone want to sell Tupperware ??
    Why would anyone want to buy Tupperware ???
    What is in the Tupperware range which couldn't be bought elsewhere cheaper, of similar or better quality, and more conveniently available without having to wait for delivery or attend a "party" ???
    Other than the comp plan...............WHY ?????
    As far as reporting Tupperware to IC3, again I would ask "Why" ???
    What has Tupperware done, specifically ??
    To answer "Why" in all the above, to prove to others it is not worth it to get involved with this type of MLM when you are not going to make any money for yourself. A waste of time and effort and only the rich get richer.

Personally, I like the cheaper stuff. When it starts looking nasty from microwave, you can just toss it without any feeling guilt!

Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I don't like the MLM business model it, unfortunately, does not make it illegal. The US authorities have not, as yet, taken a definitive stand on the percentage of revenue that must come from product sales to non distributors, although there is certainly room for a lot of prosecutions for deceptive advertising. Tupperware, however, is, along with Avon, one of the few MLMs which is known for its product and not its business model and, as such, is one of the most legal MLMs around. You may find their prices too high, but they are not in the same category as some of the fly by night companies with highly dubious products who need to rip off its distributors in order to exist.

I can only echo SBM's question What type of cyber crime does she allege has taken place ??? because selling Tupperware may be highly unprofitable, but in the first instance it is not illegal.

Post Thanks / Like

HM, if you go back and read through the link you provided, you find that the Brothers Ola and Shola primary purpose is to market their MLM products, so anything they say is to be questioned. Tupperware's business model appears to be legal per se, but as generally happens execution gets a little shady, as witness this case from Canada 2004: In court, distributors contend Tupperware is a franchise | Orlando Business Journal or this article from 2008: Tupperware Problems . People need a better understanding of the actual metrics of MLM and how markets work and become saturated. Even presupposing that a MLM is totally legitimate, the product must be such that customers will want to order regularly or the distributor will need an ever-widening customer base. Totally impossible if you consider that every product available through MLM is available faster and cheaper through normal markets or internet sales.
    It seems like in this "industry" common sense is not all that common!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by honestme11 View Post
    If one isn't sure of where to go with a complaint that would be the appropriate option in the U.S. They will properly direct your complaint. Otherwise, I would recommend making a formal complaint to the Attorney General in the state where she resides and the state where the company has its headquarters. Also, fraudulent and misleading advertising should be reported to the FTC.

The more complaints, the more likely enforcement action will be. Future legislation is also effected by the volume and nature of complaints. So, by all means if she feels she was defrauded and the opportunity was misrepresented she should make a formal complaint. The Texas online form takes just a few minutes to complete for one example.

Tupperware is the stuff of fond memories. In college I came home and decided to make homemade fudge. I microwaved an old Tupperware storage container full of dark chocolate chips. Who would have thought the plastic wasn't microwave safe. I learned my lesson. The kitchen filled with toxic smoke and the chocolate was black. No dessert on that fateful night!

Soapboxmom
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Soapboxmom View Post
    If one isn't sure of where to go with a complaint that would be the appropriate option in the U.S. They will properly direct your complaint. Otherwise, I would recommend making a formal complaint to the Attorney General in the state where she resides and the state where the company has its headquarters. Also, fraudulent and misleading advertising should be reported to the FTC.

The more complaints, the more likely enforcement action will be. Future legislation is also effected by the volume and nature of complaints. So, by all means if she feels she was defrauded and the opportunity was misrepresented she should make a formal complaint. The Texas online form takes just a few minutes to complete for one example.

Tupperware is the stuff of fond memories. In college I came home and decided to make homemade fudge. I microwaved an old Tupperware storage container full of dark chocolate chips. Who would have thought the plastic wasn't microwave safe. I learned my lesson. The kitchen filled with toxic smoke and the chocolate was black. No dessert on that fateful night!

Soapboxmom
    That is very good information SBM. If more people would report these instances and how the advertising is misleading, it would help in at least exposing MLMs for what they are. I will post this information SBM if I have your approval. I had rather not use as a quote, just use the information as you posted. If you want a link back here I could do that also.
    Thank you, I will wait for your answer as I have to grab some lunch anyway.
    I can almost smell that toxic ordor from melting plastic, ugh!

Post Thanks / Like

Soapboxmom
    LOL. I remember when we got our first Radar Range, (what they called the first microwaves). My wife thought is was so neat that you could quickly boil water in them. And, of course, she decided as long as she was going to use the energy to boil water, might as well hard-boil some eggs at the same time.....
    Last edited by laidback; 04-05-2011 at 11:29 AM. Reason: fix fat fumble-finger problems, (typos)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by laidback View Post
    LOL. I remember when we got our first Radar Range, (what they called the first microwaves). My wife thought is was so neat that you could quickly boil water in them. And, of course, she decided as long as she was going to use the energy to boil water, might as well hard-boil some eggs at the same time.....
    With the rapid advancements in technology, just think of all the trouble we can get into! I still am not even close to having figured out how to use my 4 year old cell phone. That just makes me think about just how much of a dinosaur Tupperware really is!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

With the rapid advancements in technology, just think of all the trouble we can get into! I still am not even close to having figured out how to use my 4 year old cell phone. That just makes me think about just how much of a dinosaur Tupperware really is!

Soapboxmom
    Hopefully you ARE aware that cell phone communications are not private? Anyone with a 900mhz ham radio and a little technical expertise can intercept cell phone transmissions.
    But yeah, the latest smart phones can be a GPS, Camera, Internet device, alarm clock database, organizer, and if desperate you can use it to make phone calls...! Now if only you can get one to cook, clean house, and darn socks...!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ham radio? You mean like those good old CB radios which allowed us as bored children to talk to the colorfully mouthed truckers passing through? I didn't know there was anybody left talking on a radio!!!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Ham radio? You mean like those good old CB radios which allowed us as bored children to talk to the colorfully mouthed truckers passing through? I didn't know there was anybody left talking on a radio!!!

Soapboxmom
    CB is 26.965 to 27.405 Mhz and is unlicensed, 900 Mhz is in the licensed Amateur(HAM) area. There are still a number of HAM operators out there, many involved in disaster preparedness to provide communications during major problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Her ya go, Honestme,

send your friend to have a look at this: Funding Universe report into the current status and history of Tupperware.

Note particularly that Tupperwares' own figures reveal that not only are its' sales declining worldwide, despite several restructures and direction changes, but 85% of Tupperwares' sales are now OUTSIDE of the USA.

IM(very)HO, it's not a question of "scam or not" it's plain ol' common sense.

Market saturation, an outdated distribution method, cheaper alternatives and increased competition will do it to you every time.

Post Thanks / Like

From my experience if it look's like a fish and smell's like a fish it's usually a fish!!!!

Dr. Jon M. Taylor of the Consumer Awareness Institute found in his analysis of over 350 MLMs one of them being Tupperware, that they all depend upon unlimited recruitment into an endless chain of participants – all of whom are incentivized to buy products in order to qualify for commissions and advancement in the scheme. And all of their compensation plans are top weighted, meaning a few TOPPs (top-of-the-pyramid promoters) profit handsomely at the expense of a revolving door of recruits, approximately 99% of whom lose money. To get your questions about MLM answered by a qualified independent analyst download his new eBook at no cost at, The truth about MLM, or multi-level marketing, based on solid research and world-wide feedback

Stephen Barrett, M.D., is one of the most prolific independent investigators of health quackery and related fraud on the web. MLM Watch

404 Not Found – A classic article on MLM/network marketing, “What’s Wrong with Multi-level Marketing?” is written by Dean VanDruff

Check them out they will blow your mind
    Chef

Post Thanks / Like

87.52% of participants earned $634.79 per YEAR

http://order.tupperware.com/ccm-pdf/income-disclosure-CAD.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Not much huh LRM? They probably spent twice that much!!