Thanks Thanks:  0
LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: World Ventures -- Make a Living, Living or Just Living as an MLM Recruiter?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: World Ventures -- Make a Living, Living or Just Living as an MLM Recruiter?

A college town in Nebraska was not enthused when a World Ventures upline group called “World Ventures RAT Pack” came knocking. This happened on Feb. 9, 2012, four days ago:

Source: Chadron Police Department news release currently here:

City of Chadron Press Releases:

Alleged fraudulent pyramid scam stopped

Press Release

Contact; Chief Tim Lordino, 308.432.0510

Re; Chadron Police and CSC Security stop alleged fraudulent pyramid scam

On Thursday, February 9th, Chadron State Security Officers notified the Chadron Police Department of an alleged pyramid scam targeting Chadron State College students. CSC security advised that an organization named “World Ventures RAT Pack” held two recruitment meetings on campus and had scheduled another meeting last night in the 100 Pine Street, Chadron. This organization called the “RAT Pack” was selling memberships for around $200.00 plus additional monthly dues in return you would receive discounted vacation trips. Once you become a member, you were able and encouraged, but required to pay an additional fee to recruit new members and subsequently, according to the recruiter, you would make a profit on the number of newly recruited members; up to $200.00 for three new members in sixty days and or a bonus of $20.00.

On February 9th, a Chadron Police officer, posing as a student, called one of the recruiters, a Brittney McNaney (970 area code phone number) and inquired about the organization and the program they were selling in Chadron. McNaney confirmed the alleged scam to the officer and encouraged us to bring our credit card to the meeting in the 100 block of Pine Street, Chadron.

Based on the information and cooperation from CSC security and our phone call to McNaney, last night, Chadron police officers attended the meeting on Pine Street and had contact with a recruiter named Brian Brown (720 area code phone number). Brown was advised of his requirement to apply for and receive a city solicitor’s license, prior to any soliciting and our ongoing criminal investigation, of their organization related to; theft by deception. Brown quickly canceled the meeting and left and advised he would go back to Colorado.

The Chadron Police Department is continuing its investigation and encourages any victims associated with this alleged pyramid scam to contact the police department at 308.432.0510, or you may contact Officer Hughes, the CSC College Resource Officer on campus.

Chief Lordino says; “Pyramid scams are base simply on someone initially paying cash to recruit people and making it back (in profit) from the cash of their recruits. Eventually the number of recruits fails to sustain the payment structure and the scheme collapses. Logically someone will lose money. Protect yourself, be cautious, and do a little research on any unknown outside organization such as this, who comes to town and promises you a “great deal.” “Nine times out of ten, it’s not so great.”

The Chadron Police Department was assisted by Chadron State Security.

PP Blog

2. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Based on the information and cooperation from CSC security and our phone call to McNaney, last night, Chadron police officers attended the meeting on Pine Street and had contact with a recruiter named Brian Brown (720 area code phone number). Brown was advised of his requirement to apply for and receive a city solicitor’s license, prior to any soliciting and our ongoing criminal investigation, of their organization related to; theft by deception. Brown quickly canceled the meeting and left and advised he would go back to Colorado.

The Chadron Police Department is continuing its investigation and encourages any victims associated with this alleged pyramid scam to contact the police department at 308.432.0510, or you may contact Officer Hughes, the CSC College Resource Officer on campus.

Chief Lordino says; “Pyramid scams are base simply on someone initially paying cash to recruit people and making it back (in profit) from the cash of their recruits. Eventually the number of recruits fails to sustain the payment structure and the scheme collapses. Logically someone will lose money. Protect yourself, be cautious, and do a little research on any unknown outside organization such as this, who comes to town and promises you a “great deal.” “Nine times out of ten, it’s not so great.”

The Chadron Police Department was assisted by Chadron State Security.

PP Blog
    Thanks for the info PP. It is good to know that at least one police department acted quickly and efficiently to put a stop to this pyramid scheme.

4. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In 2010 23.06% of all World Ventures "independent representatives earned a commission or override.

In 2010 76.94% of all World Ventures "independent representatives" did NOT earn ANY commission or override.

The 2010 average ANNUAL earnings of ALL World Ventures independent representatives was $292.46
    Last edited by littleroundman; 07-14-2014 at 06:36 AM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

6. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Let's be honest here. WorldVentures is a pyramid and a ponzi scheme all in one.
    If you're reading this blog, you should know that the founders of the company manipulate the comp plan for there own best interest as they sell you a dream that is not real. In fact these two income tax evaders are notorious for selling air. They hurt the MLM industry through lies and deceit and prove once and for all that MLM guys should not run MLM companies.
    Here's just one of MANY examples of the truth you can find in the dallas public court website in one of their many lawsuits: http://cdn.anonfiles.com/1334197801422.pdf
    For your own investigation of the truth and not some blog from someone who may not be in the know, research it for yourself: http://courtecom.dallascounty.org/pav/
    Case # dc1109451
    Help rid the world of liars and thieves, pass it on!

Post Thanks / Like

I apologize for necro-bumping this thread, and I normally would register for a site just to necro-bump, but I'm somewhat incensed, and the story about Chadron State College got me thinking pretty deeply about what I've seen lately.

I've been in the unique situation the last few weeks of being able to afford the time to hang out at Starbucks almost daily for a few hours at a time, and one day saw a guy bring his friend in to meet someone else at a table to watch a presentation. After a short time, it became obvious from the verbiage I overheard that this was an MLM presentation, so I kept glancing over to see if I could figure out what company it was for. I saw enough marketing materials to start google searching, and came across WorldVentures.

Now, while I don't begrudge anyone for thinking that they can make a living in MLM (my aunt has been an Avon rep for years), what I saw towards the end of this presentation was a "slick" guy brow-beating a young high-school aged kid (maybe freshman in college) into joining up against his will. The kid kept saying that he needed to talk about it with his parents, and the presenter kept using lines like "if it was a scam, would we have a website?" "how do you think I got that BMW?", etc., trying to convince this innocent young man to go against his better judgement and join up before being able to talk to his parents. It sounded like the presenter eventually agreed to present to the kid's parents, too, but I left before the presentation was over. I was hoping to be able to stick it out long enough to get the kid by himself without the presenter and just warn him to trust his judgement and talk to his parents, but I had other commitments at the time.

Now, this all passed and I did some research, and I thought it was all over, but yesterday, I was sitting there minding my own business when two high-school kids (or, again, maybe College Freshmen; they were still wearing high school t-shirts and talking about working in the corn fields over the summer) came in and met a female friend of theirs. I heard mention of "I'm almost BMW qualified", and immediately knew it was more WorldVentures people. They went through the entire contact list in the young lady's phone, asking who each person was, and how she knew them, and wrote down names and numbers. She didn't seem comfortable with this, but was cooperative enough that she let them do it. She's also joining the Marines sometime soon, so I believe she's a High Schooler or a recent graduate as well.

Within an hour of that group leaving, the presenter from my first story came in and walked up to someone who had apparently been waiting for him there. They thought that the place was too crowded (I looked behind me to see that, in fact, every table was taken), and decided to go elsewhere.

When I originally thought it was only one or two young people last week, I was okay enough to just let it slide as "another person that will learn a lesson the hard way", but the more people I see coming into the Starbucks that are affiliated with this organization, all apparently barely legal adults, the more it bothers me to think that they have somehow "infiltrated" a local high school and are making money off of kids who haven't the first clue what the "real world" is about. I don't know if I should go to anyone about this, and if so, if that person should be the local TV station, the authorities, the school boards, or all of the above.

Thoughts?

Again, apologies for making this thread rise from its grave...

9. Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

WorldVentures is based in my backyard in Texas. You have lots of avenues to bring attention to this nonsense.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/consumer/complain.shtml

I would definitely e-mail and call the local TV news stations as well and encourage them to do a story. Undercover warm marks would be a great angle.
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

11. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ConcernedCitizen View Post
    Thoughts?...
    I am glad you decided to join and share your story, it is the very reason in one form or another many of us are here. Your story is very typical of what many have experienced with MLM. I remember chatting with a guy in Starbucks years back who actually went through the company directory and switchboard to call me at my office (I consider that creepy). And never mind all the times I heard it as a waiter when I was in school.

My distaste for MLM probably like a lot of folks is heightened because I don't like the brow beating of friends and family. The story of going through someone's phone for "marks" makes me cringe, especially if it is someone barely known to the person who is supposed to be a referral. I can't think of a faster way for someone to lose credibility with their contacts than to allow a huckster to to hassle them.

The BMW also bothers me as I see it as more of a status pitch than anything having to do with building true wealth. MLM in particular seems to have adopted the fake it till you make it mantra, where not only do they get people to charge up a bunch of product they can't afford, but to buy a bunch of fancy clothes, jewels, and cars to look the part.

And sales is probably as good an avenue as any for someone getting out of school to gain some experience and maybe even build a heck of a life and living. But I would think it much better to find a situation where they could go through a real training program, have some sort of a draw until they are established and not have to pester friends. So I would say all your observations are spot on.
    "It's virtually impossible to violate rules ... but it's impossible for a violation to go undetected, certainly not for a considerable period of time." Bernie Madoff
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Scam-...98399986981403

13. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone see the most recent BBB rating of WorldVentures? Seems they aren't paying as close attention to the BBB as they used to. I remember at one point they had it up to an A.... what do you think happened?

Post Thanks / Like

BEHINDMLM.com is today reporting:

You can read the entire original article here World Ventures cease business operations in Norway

16. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The Norwegian Direct Sales Association (Direktesalgsforbundet) released a statement on the Gaming Board decision on World Ventures

Google Translate of Norwegian DSA statement

18. Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

World Ventures is just another binary pay plan that has come under fire from the regulators. When will our MLM Money-Gamers learn? If the majority of your income is coming from recruiting and not retail sales, you are promoting a pyramid scheme. Some of the regular posters on this site have referred to the 51% Retail Sales Rule and the "referral sales" rule.

Based on this ruling, it appears World Ventures might just be the next Skybiz, STS, Tele-Sales & Destiny Telcom? Does the company publish their Retail Customer numbers? Are they in compliant with the 51% Retail Sales Rule?

Introduction to Statutes Affecting the MLM Industry by State - Jeff Babener MLM Attorney <------- A lot of good information at this site, including:

In the leading decisions in this subject area, a variety of abuses have been targeted as potential elements of illegal marketing plans:

1. Products which have "no real world" marketplace.

2. Products which are sold at inflated prices.

3. Mandatory purchases of company product.

4. Plans which result in inventory loading distributors.

5. Substantial cash investment requirements.

6. Mandatory purchases of peripheral or accessory products or services.

7. Plans in which company products are totally or substantially consumed only by distributors.

8. Plans in which distributors are left with substantial unsold inventory upon cancellation of participation.

9. Plans in which distributors purchase products in order to further the marketing plan rather than out of genuine desire and need for the product.

10. Plans which would fail without purchases by participants.

11. Plans which make no effort to emphasize retail sales to the ultimate nonparticipant consumer.

12. Plans which require no meaningful participation by distributors after becoming a distributor.

13. Plans in which fees are paid to distributors for headhunting.

14. Plans in which commissions are not based on actual retail product sales.

15. Plans in which emphasis is on recruitment rather than sale of product.

16. Plans which contain elements of a lottery rewarding participants based on chance rather than on bona fide sales efforts.

17. Earnings misrepresentations or inflated earnings representations.

20. Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

South Africas' Capetown Lately is reporting:

You can find the original article, including links, here on Capetown Lately.co.za

22. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also looking forward to the results of the investigations of Jamaica (June 2015) and Malaysia (April 2015). Let's hope that there are more investigations underway to put a stop to this Ponzi disguised as a MLM.
    EagleOne
    Author: "Robbing You With A Keyboard Instead Of A Gun - Cyber Crime How They Do It" available in soft cover and eBook at Amazon.com

24. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Why no American investigation.

26. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We don't know there isn't an American investigation.

US authorities are notoriously reluctant to reveal who or what they are investigating.

On a purely speculative note: I wouldn't mind betting the current FTC prosecution of the Vemma MLM will result in a whole slew of World Ventures like pseudo MLMs either disappearing or being prosecuted.

28. Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post
    We don't know there isn't an American investigation.

US authorities are notoriously reluctant to reveal who or what they are investigating.

On a purely speculative note: I wouldn't mind betting the current FTC prosecution of the Vemma MLM will result in a whole slew of World Ventures like pseudo MLMs either disappearing or being prosecuted.
    The thing about American investigations is that there is usually an ulterior motive.

Most things don't get shutdown unless the owners are making millions of dollars in scam money, and even than investigations seem drawn out.

The only way to really get caught if you fall under a certain income bracket is to not pay taxes, than they will investigate.

30. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fendaril View Post
    The thing about American investigations is that there is usually an ulterior motive.

Most things don't get shutdown unless the owners are making millions of dollars in scam money, and even than investigations seem drawn out.

The only way to really get caught if you fall under a certain income bracket is to not pay taxes, than they will investigate.
    Screwing the IRS is indeed the fast track to prosecution to be sure!
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

32. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Taiwan Travel industry accuses WorldVentures of violating Taiwan laws, and operating a pyramid scheme, want a "rat hunt" (in Chinese, pyramid scheme is sometimes referred as a "mouse meeting / rat pack" 老鼠會)

能賺錢又能出國玩! 「瘋旅」直銷 遊惹* | 台灣生活 | TVBS新聞 | TVBS官網 (News in Chinese, translation coming soon)
    ---
    A MLM Skeptic (not a Cynic) covering scams, critical thinking, and psychology
    http://amlmskeptic.blogspot.com

34. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

TVBS News 2015/09/24 13:10

Earn money and travel abroad! CrazyTravel (WorldVentures) Direct Sale Attracted Controversy

Caption 1: Same as title

In Taiwan, a direct sales travel company, called WorldVentures (CrazyTravel 瘋遊), using the slogan "earn money and travel abroad", is recruiting downlines. If members can recruit more members beyond a threshold their monthly dues are waived, and can earn cash plus points redeemable for travel abroad. In a short period they recruited 30K members in Taiwan. However, this method has attracted harsh criticism from travel industry, as they believe this is a violation of fair trading laws and travel laws, and they formed a protest today at the fair trading commission (Taiwan's FTC). Bureau of Tourism also reported that they have received many complaints since last year.

Travel Industry: "Keep our jobs, smash the rats"

Travel industry reps holding signs at the fair trade office that says "keep our jobs, smash the rats" taking aim at the rapidly growing WorldVentures.

The member meetings are like a carnival, huge party, where everybody holds a sign "You should be here". Using the slogan "earn money and travel abroad", they have gathered up more than 30K members in Taiwan.

The travel industry spokesman QiYu Li said "Travel and earn money, sure, travel the world, and earn money from all the members you recruited, it's really a pyramid scheme (Chinese term: rat pack 老鼠會) to get you to join, illegal promotion"

(WV) imitates direct sales, where members joining results in accumulating points that can be traded for trips abroad. Furthermore, recruiting additional downlines results in points that can be redeemed for cash, thus earn money and travel abroad. However, this is seriously putting pressure on existing travel industry.

Spokeman Li said, "One more member means one less real travel customer."

The group claimed that 3000+ travel agencies (in Taiwan) are being affected and they want the FTC to take action ASAP. Bureau of Tourism has also received complaints.

YuZhen Jin, from Bureau of Tourism, said, "We have received over 40 complaints since last year, either the complainnants were unable to cancel their membership, or they want to go to a particular place but were unable to do so."

As the consumer complaints add up, the slogan hadn't lost their appeal as the direct sales people got into tourism. Please do your due diligence before you get in.

Sign translated: Smash the rats, save our jobs / An urgent plea from the travel industry 1) We protest the use of travel products by pyramid scheme operators as bait 2) We STRONGLY urg FTC to take action against WV 3) We protest illegal travel pyramid schemes leeching on the livelihood of travel industry.
    ---
    A MLM Skeptic (not a Cynic) covering scams, critical thinking, and psychology
    http://amlmskeptic.blogspot.com

36. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kschang View Post
    Travel Industry: "Keep our jobs, smash the rats"
    HeHe no uncontrolled political correctness in Taiwan.

38. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

81% made nothing and probably spent a pretty penny to earn that 0 dollars. Less than 1% made a living in this scam. The 1% on the top fed off of the losses of the 99%! It gets worse every year!

Love some Bunny! I do!

40. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

South Africas' IOL Online is reporting:

You can read the original story here at iol.co.za

42. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

These fraudsters recently moved into China where nobody really lknows about them yet. In less that three months they will probably have 3 to 5 million Chinese victims, but enough $ to ride off into the sunset for Cyprus, Monaco, or some other safe haven where the authorities can't touch them. Maybe the IRS will take care of them if the FTC doesn't.