LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disciples Cross, why I wouldn't recommend them

Post Thanks / Like

Disciples Cross, why I wouldn't recommend them

I purchased the starter kit from Disciple's Cross after reading about them on several websites. The general consensus was that the nails were easy to bend and the necklaces weren't too terribly difficult to make. Most people claimed that they were able to make money making the necklaces. However, those making decent money weren't actually selling the necklaces back to Disciple's Cross but instead selling them locally (which Disciple's Cross allows you to do). Now, if you have a market for that kind of thing in your area then I guess it might be a reasonable choice, however only because you can purchase pre-bent nails. If you sign up with Disciple's Cross and are hoping to sell the necklaces back to them, be prepared for a tough road. The nails are NOT easy to bend. I have carpal tunnel in both my wrists and could not get the nails to bend correctly. The instructional video that came along with the kit was confusing at times, he'd skip entire steps and you'd go from having several pieces laid out in front of you to the pieces suddenly put together with very little to no explanation.

At the end of the day, I wouldn't really recommend them. I still plan on trying out one of the kits from New England Crafters to see if that's any easier and if they do pay.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Disciples Cross, why I wouldn't recommend them

Is this the web site, Lisa?
    A half-truth is a whole lie.

Post Thanks / Like

Ya it is... I should probably start posting that huh? Lol sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since I'm not a Christian or interested in crafts, I probably have no business responding, but that top banner leaves me... speechless.

Post Thanks / Like

Lol, I'm agnostic. I wasn't trying to glorify Christ by making necklaces, I was trying to see if it was a real way to make a few dollars.

I am into crafting a bit. I'm not nearly as hardcore as some people, but I don't mind making the occasional little things for around the house. I loooove to scrapbook though.

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for craft assembly companies Lisa, New England Crafters and The Ideal Craft Company in Michigen Ideal Craft Home Page seem to be the most reputable. Home craft assembly is also a pretty scammy industry, as I'm sure you know.

Wow did the Disciples Cross site look yucky lol (I'm not calling them a scam)

If you feel brave enough to find your own markets, you'll find a heap of craft kits on the Craft Site Directory web, Craft Site Directory - Your guide to arts and crafts on the Internet

Post Thanks / Like

Wow did the Disciples Cross site look yucky lol
    Since Lisa was discussing nails, the word that came to my mind was tacky.

Post Thanks / Like

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alasycia View Post
    If you're looking for craft assembly companies Lisa, New England Crafters and The Ideal Craft Company in Michigen Ideal Craft Home Page seem to be the most reputable. Home craft assembly is also a pretty scammy industry, as I'm sure you know.

Wow did the Disciples Cross site look yucky lol (I'm not calling them a scam)

If you feel brave enough to find your own markets, you'll find a heap of craft kits on the Craft Site Directory web, Craft Site Directory - Your guide to arts and crafts on the Internet
    I'm not brave enough to find my own markets lol. I've never heard of The Ideal Craft Company, but I like their prices. They seem to be a bit cheaper than New England Crafters.

I've done a few different work at home things (kgb, OnPoint Advocacy, Associated Content and I'm currently trying out emergingcast.com as well as a webcam model recruiting thing - I know the model one pays).

Post Thanks / Like

Grrrrrrrrrrrr. lol
    Sorry, but I spent a little time at the JREF forums, where puns were a staple of many threads--whether you wanted to hammer in a point or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Emet View Post
    Sorry, but I spent a little time at the JREF forums, where puns were a staple of many threads--whether you wanted to hammer in a point or not.

Aaaaaggghh

Post Thanks / Like

Found this link on the 2 Work-at-home forum. They ran a test, buying a kit, making the crosses and then selling them back to the company and here is the conclusion
    The Bottom Line

I feel that while this is not an outright scam, the company's advertising is very misleading. They lure you in with the idea that you can make the crosses, send them in and get paid.

Let's take another look at the ad:

Make Disciple's Crosses™
    Work from home. Make up to $2000
    a month. No Selling Required!

It becomes clear later (after your crosses have been rejected) that the company really only wants to sell the kits. They actually encourage you to sell the crosses on your own. So, in reality it's all about selling.

If you're interested in starting a business where you're making the crosses and then you sell them at craft fairs, etc. then it may be a way to make some extra money. I think that until you got really good at making the crosses though, it would hardly be worth the time and effort it would take.

Personally, I find it reprehensible that someone who is supposed to be a "man of God" is operating in this underhanded way to make money. Did I mention that he was on Survivor? I guess that explains the autographed picture that is included with the starter kit...

Remember in the FAQ's at the website he says, "This is much more than a business to us, it is first and foremost a ministry." I don't see it that way. He's out to make money, period.
    To follow the whole test click on the link

The Work At Home Reporter :: Unbiased work at home reviews

There are some pretty unhappy bunnies writing on RipOff Report as well

Disciples Cross - John Raymond Review | Rip-off Report #149992

And it seems that John Raymond has the set up registered as a non-profit!

And you said you shouldnt have posted this thread Lisa? Looks like you might already have saved a few people a few dollars.

Post Thanks / Like

John Raymond was on Survivor? I consider myself a hard core Survivor fan and couldn't for the life me remember that. So turned to my friend Google.. and sure enough!. I can be forgiven for not remembering him. He was on Survivor Thailand back in 2002 and was the first one voted off LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a cross producer since 07. I have made kits and sold them back to Disciples Cross and have sold hundreds to people. I have never had a problem with them and it is not a scam. In fact, I just ordered another two kits. Maybe it just wasn't for you.

15. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jj76634 View Post
    I have been a cross producer since 07. I have made kits and sold them back to Disciples Cross and have sold hundreds to people. I have never had a problem with them and it is not a scam. In fact, I just ordered another two kits. Maybe it just wasn't for you.
    Any certification on that, like numbers on paper = profit made? Need a little more proof of that.
    Don't get ripped off!! Stay informed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Ol' Radical Me View Post
    Found this link on the 2 Work-at-home forum. They ran a test, buying a kit, making the crosses and then selling them back to the company and here is the conclusion

To follow the whole test click on the link

The Work At Home Reporter :: Unbiased work at home reviews

There are some pretty unhappy bunnies writing on RipOff Report as well

Disciples Cross - John Raymond Review | Rip-off Report #149992

And it seems that John Raymond has the set up registered as a non-profit!

And you said you shouldnt have posted this thread Lisa? Looks like you might already have saved a few people a few dollars.
    The Bottom Line there says just about what the truth of this is and most of the craft-maker kit companies. There is little, if any money to be made unless you have a local or perhaps an online market, as in Yardseller (which I believe is closing shop). Some ladies this past Sunday were showing off their new Nail crosses and said there was a pastor in town who made them and gives them away free!! They were actually nice looking also, not like those on that website.
    Don't get ripped off!! Stay informed!

Post Thanks / Like

This site is NOT a scam. My husband bought the $25 kit from them and they work out great. You can sell them for $10. You can make 25 crosses for $25 and if you add up the money, you're making $250. You're making a profit of around $225! I'm going to start making them to make some extra money since I'm a stay at home wife and mother. You say it's a scam because you have a hard time bending the nails. They're NAILS. What do you expect?? Don't blame the fact that you can't bend them, on the site. They didn't give you carpal tunnel. Use a special tool or something like that to bend them. You're literally making over a 200% profit. Stop complaining. Also, yes, if you know the right people, you can sell more than enough of them. Since I'm a Christian, almost all of my friends are Christians as well. Almost every single one of them will buy one and I can sell more in the area because I live in West Virginia, which is over run with Christians. My point is, knowing the right people will get you plenty of money. For me, I've got a whole state possibly willing to buy the necklaces and key chains. (Btw, I hope I didn't come off sounding harsh. I don't care what your religion is. I wasn't trying to rub Christianity in anyone's face). The final price of everything is around $30. $25 for the kit, $5 clear gloss acrylic so it doesn't rust, and around $3 for the key chain rings (if you make key chains as well). It's almost $35 which is good, when, like I said, you make around $250 for selling $25 necklaces.
    Last edited by dmj312; 08-12-2013 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Additional info

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmj312 View Post
    This site is NOT a scam. My husband bought the $25 kit from them and they work out great. You can sell them for $10. You can make 25 crosses for $25 and if you add up the money, you're making $250. You're making a profit of around $225! I'm going to start making them to make some extra money since I'm a stay at home wife and mother. You say it's a scam because you have a hard time bending the nails. They're NAILS. What do you expect?? Don't blame the fact that you can't bend them, on the site. They didn't give you carpal tunnel. Use a special tool or something like that to bend them. You're literally making over a 200% profit. Stop complaining.
    And how much of a market is there for kitsch that has been trying to flood their limited market for decades?
    Put mind in gear before opening wallet.
    If you are in Prosper With Integrity, and do not like that your personal information has been published here, please talk to these good people: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov http://www.ic3.gov http://www.fbi.gov

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProfHenryHiggins View Post
    And how much of a market is there for kitsch that has been trying to flood their limited market for decades?
    Put mind in gear before opening wallet.
    Sorry, I added more, so you didn't get to finish reading what I had to say.

Post Thanks / Like

And yet he was spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

I still think that your market is much, much smaller than you are imagining, taking real world factors into account.
    How many of those people do you think already have necklaces just like what you are trying to sell, from prior Disciples' Cross affiliates? What makes yours stand out from the crowd of other people with dollar signs in their eyes trying to market the same product?
    If you are in Prosper With Integrity, and do not like that your personal information has been published here, please talk to these good people: http://www.attorneygeneral.gov http://www.ic3.gov http://www.fbi.gov

23. Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ProfHenryHiggins View Post
    I still think that your market is much, much smaller than you are imagining, taking real world factors into account.
    How many of those people do you think already have necklaces just like what you are trying to sell, from prior Disciples' Cross affiliates? What makes yours stand out from the crowd of other people with dollar signs in their eyes trying to market the same product?
    Many of them don't have one. Actually, I don't know a single one of them that does have one. I could also advertise on Craigslist, widening my range of customers. Also, you can sell them back to the site. I already know people that want to buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dmj312 View Post
    Many of them don't have one. Actually, I don't know a single one of them that does have one. I could also advertise on Craigslist, widening my range of customers. Also, you can sell them back to the site. I already know people that want to buy.
    Sell them back to the site?
    That triggers a red flag for "assembly scams."

Have a bit of reading on that subject:
    http://www.tampabay.com/news/busines...siness/1073972
    http://www.wahm.com/articles/are-wor...bs-a-scam.html
    http://www.sbcmag.com/technology/sma...igation-series
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...-stings-ov.htm
    http://www.forbes.com/2010/07/27/wor...ting-scam.html

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Go up and read what jj76634 said. That person has made plenty of sales to the site and to other people.