Thanks Thanks:  0
LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: EarthQuest Park / Don Holbrook / Contour Entertainment / Frank McCrady of EMCID

Post Thanks / Like

re: EarthQuest Park / Don Holbrook / Contour Entertainment / Frank McCrady of EMCID

Quote Originally Posted by Soapboxmom View Post
    Approving a loan prior to a loan request, things that make ya go hmmmm...!
    It seems like in this "industry" common sense is not all that common!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

re: EarthQuest Park / Don Holbrook / Contour Entertainment / Frank McCrady of EMCID

This small park cost 400 million to build and quickly ended up bankrupt. So, how can an mega international destination like Earthquest be built for a mere 600 million??? How will the Houston area get in enough visitors to keep something afloat? This place was really nifty and unique as well. Another thing to make us go hmmmmmm!!!

Theme park's future uncertain, three years after opening : News : CarolinaLive.com

Hard Rock Park

Google Image Result for http://www.bumpershine.com/wp-images/posts/hard_rock_park.gif
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

S.C.'s Hard Rock Park files for bankruptcy after inaugural season - USATODAY.com

Lack of funding for promotion and attendance having been overestimated shut this one down right after it opened. How has Holbrook figured those issues into the planning for Earthquest?

Even after getting the park for $25,000,000.00 after the first collapse into bankruptcy, the second owners couldn't keep the thing open. What real chance does Earthquest have in an area that is not a big tourist draw and not surrounded too many wealthy neighborhoods to support it?
    Anyone needing assistance please feel free to use this e-mail in addition to the PM system here to contact me: soapboxmom@hotmail.com

Dallas College Richland Campus Music Advising Derrick Logozzo / Melissa Logan / Not NASM Accredited / Out of State Tuition Nightmare!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/com...musement-rides

Another sobering tale. Why invest hundreds of millions in a new park that has almost no chance of being profitable when there are so many in financial trouble that can be bought for a song. In some cases they can be bought for a lot less than the taxpayers spent courting Holbrook!

I can see why the reporters were not given copies of the studies related to this floundering project. I think it is very naive to think that with 18 million people within 4 hours driving distance that this park can ever become profitable. Someone truly unbiased and not hooked up with Holbrook needs to take a hard and realistic look at this clunker!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

http://www.grandtexas.net/visit_info.html#directions

Grand Texas Theme Park in Tomball: Bringing Some of that Texas Frontier Spirit to Texas » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

UPDATE: Developer of Tomball theme park hopes to emphasize educational, economic value - Your Houston News: News

This looks much more likely to come to fruition. It is a great low cost, but incredible entertainment option for the family. Notice, there was apparently no robbing of the taxpayers to the tune of millions of dollars. Don Holbrook and Frank McCrady weren't living the lifestyle of the rich and famous to develop this very charming venue. I will be there!!!!! No need to waste another dollar on Earthquest if this deal can be completed!

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

• There is no comparison between these two parks. I know for a fact as I did the evaluation and review of Hard Rock Park in SC for another client. The Houston market is the best market in the United States for a major theme park and is centrally located in the 4th largest city in the United States, with a major hub airport, gulf port, and exponentially more visitors and population than a remote city in SC. You are no expert on theme parks and should bias your statements as to the lack of knowledge you actually have on such subjects. Secondary to that the Hard Rock Park in SC was built for adults mostly and theme parks cater to 10-18 year olds mostly and thus an adult theme park would be more likely to be Las Vegas. Children should not be expected to view some of the raunchy stuff on the theme at Hard Rock in SC. In addition, Hard Rock did not have a public-private partnership in SC, they knew more than everyone and felt their brand and strategy was enough to carry their project. Obviously they were wrong. The Earthquest project has had three official world class theme park economic analysis groups report independently that the Houston market is the best and only one they feel could support a theme park in the US today. That was further backed up just last year by another 4th opinion from yet another of the world's most renowned theme park experts. The only issues with the EarthQuest project lie squarely with the lack of performance by the private sector developer and the timing of the unforeseen global financial crisis. The developer situation is able to be remedied by EMCID and the financial markets are now finally beginning to show signs of new investment mindsets.

• Have all those reports been made public as requested? Please give us the links.
      Can an independent park that is not affiliated with Disney or the like really get funded? What if this park does have cost overruns and will actually cost more than a billion dollars to construct? How much has been budgeted to promote the park? How many visitors must come through the gates yearly for this thing to break even? If the project has been downsized and the resort isn't built early on, where are visitors supposed to stay? Has anyone really addressed the astronomical cost to maintain a 550 acre park? Lots of questions. Where are the answers?

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Mr Holbrook can go 'round and 'round the mulberry bush as much as he likes.

The point remains, he's dealing with public money here.

Public money = public scrutiny and accountability.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

EarthQuest impact heats up EMCID election - Wednesday, May 09, 2012 - Copyright 2007 Ourtribune.com

Earthquest is the big topic in the upcoming election. Another incredible article from our Cynthia Calvert and the Tribune. It sounds like the new board members are going to seek answers as to where all the money has gone and find out if we have any recourse to get any funds back!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The EMCID board meeting tomorrow will have a special guest. The Tribune's Geoff Geiger will be there, so be watching for updates! And, no it is not Don Holbrook. I wonder if he even knows what is transpiring. He best not ever set foot in the great state of Texas again after the way he has viciously attacked her citizens online!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Letters to the Editor
    Tuesday, May 15, 2012
    -
    20YourTurn

Saving EarthQuest

Dear Editor:

I'm the founder of the EarthQuest theme-park concept for East Montgomery County and I'm as frustrated as you all must be with the lack of progress on the project. . After 25 years as a dinosaur writer and explorer, I was eager to see my dream of a major dinosaur and sustainability theme park realized in this very attractive location.

A lot of taxpayer money was spent, perhaps even pocketed by now-bankrupt land-owners. Some people made big pay-checks. Lots of expenses were chalked up. I put all my money – more than $300,000 - into the project, and slowly got just that much, but no more, back. The charity I had dreamed of misspent in my view, hundreds of thousands of dollars given it by EMCID.

Still, I'm not angry and I'm not sure you should be either. Huh? Let me explain.

The truth is that despite many missteps and money wasted, there is more reason to hope that EarthQuest will succeed than there ever was. The misleading developers are gone, in favor of more stable land-owners.

The people doing the raising, a top team of ex-Disney executives, is the same creative group that made good use of the money already paid it, by designing the park in great detail along with a top-flight independent economic analyses that show it will be enormously profitable.

So, don't give up hope. With the proper team finally in place, EarthQuest finally has prospects of advancing.

EMCID and EarthQuest can only benefit from more community supervision and involvement. EMCID needs to be open to community questioning. But don't throw out the baby with the dirty bathwater. Give EMCID and EarthQuest one last chance to make this work. The result would be something truly wonderful.

“Dino” Don Lessem

Via email

Editor's Note:

Lessem wanted to further clarify any information with these two statements:

1. I never received any checks for the nonprofit, nor was I or any board member ever paid for their work for the nonprofit. It did receive a considerable sum from EMCID and generous donations from area residents. I am not at all pleased that the staff and the rest of the board did not make sure any of that was spent on programs - which is why I resigned the board years ago.

I did travel the country for more than a year, on the cheapest flights and at the cheapest motels finding top legal, organizational and media advisors (who I can name if you like) to serve the nonprofit, saving it a good deal of expense. I had $35,000 in expenses were not repaid until three years later, and only then when I agreed to give away my remaining rights to the concept I created to EMCID.

2. I was not personally paid anything personally, though I would have been happy to have been paid, for the years of work I did for EarthQuest's theme park. One of my companies, Exhibits Rex was, again, belatedly repaid for approximately $300,000 in what I PAID to ex-Disney advisors and others for preparing the initial EarthQuest plan, all of which was paid out to the various consultants and contractors involved. Again, there would have been nothing wrong with paying me for all the work I did, and I wish that EMCID had. They simply didn't. Nor did John Marlin, with whom EMCID asked me to partner, and his Marlin/Atlantis company. They never paid me, nor even paid my expenses for that work, but offered me a percentage ownership which was worth nothing.

Where did the EarthQuest money go?

Dear Editor:

Are the taxpayers really out any money? If all the money paid out was from a bond issuance then it's the investors in the bonds that are out money.

There are two types of municipal bonds

1. General Obligation (GO)

2. Revenue

General Obligation bonds pay interest to the bond holders no matter what.

Revenue bonds are tied to a project that generates money (i.e. tolls). If the project doesn't raise any money then no interest is paid. As a result, Revenue Bonds are considered a riskier investment.

If the bonds issued were General Obligation bonds, the damage to the taxpayers & Montgomery county is the fact that they need to use taxpayer money to pay the interest.

In an earlier article you stated the bond proceeds would be covered by the parking fees generated by the dino park or whatever they were building. That statement led me to believe that the bonds issued were Revenue bonds. If the park never gets built, there's no parking. If there's no parking, then the bond investors lose out.

Art Sobelman

Via email

Editor's Note:

The EarthQuest bonds that were sold were "Sales Tax Revenue Bonds.” These bonds are collateralized by a lien upon all future sales tax revenues. Furthermore, the amortization of the bond's principal and interest are paid out of current tax revenues, irrespective of whether the park is ever built. EMCID has no choice but to pay the bonds or face default. (Which would be another disaster all its own). The parking fee of $1 per car was 'granted' to EMCID in exchange for forgiveness of the multi-million dollar 'loans' to Marlin-Atlanitis, the land developer. In other words, EMCID traded millions of dollars to the land owner in exchange for future $1 per car parking fees.

Tribune reporting gains more attention

Here is are excerpts from a recent Reuters column by Cate Long about Tribune coverage of EMCID and EarthQuest:

"Cynthia Calvert, the editor of The Tribune of Humble, Texas, is restoring community journalism to its rightful place in the Fourth Estate. She has written a series of articles challenging the actions of the East Montgomery County Improvement District (EMCID), which funded a now-bankrupt theme park called EarthQuest...."

"I wish journalists from the mainstream media demonstrated the same amount of zeal in uncovering wrongdoing as Calvert does. The EarthQuest story, like most failed public efforts, is documented in the public record but requires a reporter to sift through a lot of documents to string together the story over a period of time...."

"It’s the taxpayers of East Montgomery County who will eat the losses from this grandiose project. Calvert is doing the right thing in documenting and challenging the poor decisions made by the EMCID..."

To read the full piece, visit blogs.reuters.com/muniland/2012/05/02/the-shining-fourth-estate-and-the-theme-park/.

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Bravo! I am sure most of the taxpayers feel the same way:
    From KU:
    pantherdadx2 --- 5 hours ago - quote - hide comments Just one more reason for me to never move back. Why on earth a picket line isn't stretched from EMCIDs offices to Hwy 59 is beyond comprehension. I'm sure if the EMC taxpayers were to vote on a $35,000 raise for this man after blowing through millions of THEIR money without a shovelfull of dirt being turned on the Earthquest project, he wouldn't receive a penny!As a matter of fact, I'm sure there would be a few citizens willing to beat the crap out of him just for kicks!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No more funding for Earthquest. Don Allen Holbrook's gravy train has ended!!!

EMCID passes $5.7M budget, EarthQuest funding absent - Monday, July 09, 2012 - Copyright 2007 Ourtribune.com

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by littleroundman; 02-08-2015 at 12:09 AM.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

author=wcw1223 board=general thread=801 post=11549 time=1342192031]

EMCID board gets new chairman - Thursday, July 12, 2012 - Copyright 2007 Ourtribune.com

EMCID board gets new chairman
    Thursday, July 12, 2012

Geoffrey Geiger

A vote of 5-3 for a slate of candidates placed long-time East Montgomery County Improvement District board member Connie Bloodworth as its new Chairman. Voting for the slate were Dale Martin, Bloodworth, Brenda Webb, Marlene Idoux and Linda Floyd. Voting against were Fred Wetz, Vickie Thumann and Isidor Ybarra.

Prior to the election, a motion to defer the officer selection until a later date was defeated in a tie vote. From the rest of the slate, Floyd will serve as Vice Chairman, Idoux as Secretary and Webb as Treasurer.

Webb nominated the slate originally with Martin as Assistant Secretary, though he declined the nomination. Proceeding to Thumann and Ybarra, both also declined the officer position nomination.
    Frank McCrady made a motion to have a party "a social work shop" consisting of the old and new board members. His motion failed to be approved. I guess he is just a partying kind of guy. Hopefully the new board will be more business like and leave the table dancing to the strip clubs in Houston.
    Amen. End of the extravagant spending and partying ways!

Love some Bunny! I do!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Management Team | EarthQuest Resort
    Management Team

Creator and Limited Partner – Don Lessem

is a world-renowned educator and popularizer of natural history, consultant to Steven Spielberg, Disney and Universal films and theme parks, creator of international museum exhibitions, originator of the world’s largest paleontological charities, builder of the largest dinosaur recreations and author of more than 50 books for adults and children.
    General Partner and Developer –Marlin Atlantis

of Dallas, Texas is one of the state’s leading residential and commercial property developers, with a particular emphasis upon maintaining natural habitats in its projects.....

Economic Development Representative – Vercitas Group – Don Holbrook

President, is a nationally renowned economic developer, author of “Who Moved My Smokestack” and “The Little Black Book of Economic Development,” and a member of the National Board of Economic Advisers
    The site is still not updated. That suggests to me that Contour is doing nothing to solicit investors and move this project forward. Who in their right mind would leave Marlin Atlantis's and Don Allen Holbrook's names on the page? Marlin Atlantis's entity, Whitestone, that holds the property is bankrupt. Holbrook is suing the taxpayers and newspapers that have been discussing this project. And, as Don Lessem wants his intellectual property rights back and those appear to be in dispute, who would want investors to be contacting him? It is high time the taxpayers get honest disclosure about where this project really stands. There is no money in the budget for it and I doubt Contour will pay for a new market research study or anything else.

Soapboxmom

Love some Bunny! I do!