Thanks Thanks:  0
LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0

Thread: Grammar

Post Thanks / Like

Grammar

I went through a phase at one point where I had to correct bad spelling and grammar.

See below:

PS - Please don't take any offence! ;)

Do errant apostrophes get on you'r nerves? Do you cringe when you sees mismatched subjects and verbs? Do misspellings grind your gaers? If so, you're one of the diminishing few who care about using language clearly and properly. You've come to the right place. (And yes, don't worry; the mistakes were intentional!)

That said, nobody's perfect and we all make the occasional mistake. It is also true that the English language is so illogical that there are certain words people often forget how to spell. Here is a list of the most egregious and common mistakes I've noticed:

Words people assume are one word:

Anymore/Any more [questionable]
    Aslong/As long
    Aswell/As well
    Atleast/At least
    Ofcourse/Of course
    Infact/In fact
    Incase/In case
    Infront/In front
    Alright/All right [questionable]
    Alot/A lot
    Abit/A bit
    Asif/As if
    Nevermind/Never mind [we can thank Nirvana's album 'Nevermind' for this confusion]
    Thankyou/Thank you
    Inbetween/In between

Mix-ups:

Affect/Effect
    Accept/Except
    Your/You're
    There/Their/They're
    Who's/Whose
    Who/Whom
    Know/Now/No

Plain silly mistakes:

Are/Our/Hour
    Right/Write/Wright/Rite
    Ascent/Accent/Assent
    Cite/Site/Sight
    Four/For/Fore
    Heard/Herd
    Banned/Band
    To/Too/Two
    Weather/Whether
    Not/Knot
    Plain/Plane
    Wait/Weight
    Cue/Queue [the latter often written as ʽqueʼ]
    Which/Witch
    Luck/Look
    Where/Ware/Wear
    By/Bye/Buy
    Aloud/Allowed
    Quiet/Quite
    Definitely/Defiantly [or any variant thereof]

The list is endless.

Finally, some other common mistakes:

• Replacing ʽhaveʼ with ʽofʼ (e.g. Could of/Should of … )
    • Confusing ʽbeingʼ with ʽbeenʼ (e.g. I love been a raging rapist)
    • Muddling ʽseeingʼ and ʽseenʼ (e.g. Seen as you're an idiot anyway … )
    • 'Hence why' (the 'why' is implicit in the 'hence')

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've let my standards in grammar slip recently, though I have to say I don't wish for the English language to transform into the language that Stephen Fry defended:

I will try to find a link; the summary of it is:

The English language should transform into a language that looks exactly how it sownds [sic].

Jason

2. Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Grammar

WYSIWYG for the English language.

I am terrible at speeling and often wonder where I need to place a comma or smiley face in my posts. This is a very useful link. I enjoy writing but do so little in any sort of a formal setting anymore. Even with an occasional business letter, I often assume the reader may be in the same place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribshaw View Post
    WYSIWYG for the English language.

I am terrible at speeling and often wonder where I need to place a comma or smiley face in my posts. This is a very useful link. I enjoy writing but do so little in any sort of a formal setting anymore. Even with an occasional business letter, I often assume the reader may be in the same place.
    It can be a chore to learn the finer point of the English language - but is such a delightful experience.
    I've had many a debate on correct usage of punctuation - how thrilling I sound!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poyol View Post
    It can be a chore to learn the finer point of the English language - but is such a delightful experience.
    I've had many a debate on correct usage of punctuation - how thrilling I sound!

Jason

I am rather amazed at the people I have met online who use English as a second language and do so very well. If you are ESL, I am amazed. As a dumb American I know but one and even there I use a lot of slang depending on the situation. One of the real disadvantages of being at a computer all day is in some areas it really takes the thinking out of doing, like spell check and math in your head.

On my to do list is learning Spanish, if for no other reason to keep sharp and be forced to think a little. Of course on that same list are six pack abs cleaning my office, so not going to happen anytime soon

6. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ribshaw View Post
    I am rather amazed at the people I have met online who use English as a second language and do so very well. If you are ESL, I am amazed. As a dumb American I know but one and even there I use a lot of slang depending on the situation. One of the real disadvantages of being at a computer all day is in some areas it really takes the thinking out of doing, like spell check and math in your head.

On my to do list is learning Spanish, if for no other reason to keep sharp and be forced to think a little. Of course on that same list are six pack abs cleaning my office, so not going to happen anytime soon
    I'm a native Brit, so I've had a while to try and perfect my use of the English language - I've not quite done it yet!

A minute of mental arithmetic per day can help jog the brain!

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

I often wonder if the people who pronounce "ask" like "aks" think it is spelled that way?

This might be a problem that exists only in America.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    I often wonder if the people who pronounce "ask" like "aks" think it is spelled that way?

This might be a problem that exists only in America.
    Nope, it's not uncommon in Oz as well.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Far be it from me to pick nits,(yeah, right) but you forgot so/sew/sow...(sow, to plant not to be confused with sow, the female pig...!
    It seems like in this "industry" common sense is not all that common!

Post Thanks / Like

?

Post Thanks / Like

Today, 07:34 AMlittleroundman
    Nope, it's not uncommon in Oz as well.
    I was "wandering" about that. This reminds me of a story when I was spending time in Oz. You guys say Nestl้ "nestle" not "nestlay" like we do. It gave me a giggle and I chalked it up to countries pronouncing things differently, which we do, and said nothing. Today, I might point out to my wretched EX in-law that there is an accent aigu on the "e" and not be so polite.

FTR, no offense to Aussies (just ex in-laws) as we Americans have no room to talk.

Make my day LRM and tell me it was ONLY my Tasmanian in-law pronouncing it that way:)

On a related note, I actually use realscam as a way to keep my reading, writing, and spelling skills functioning. While they've never been great, lack of use makes them worse. At the same time, I feel like I'm serving a purpose with some of my posts.

And now you know why most of my posts are edited. Just wish I had more than 30 minutes to fix all my mistakes:)

Post Thanks / Like

what do you use to alert someone about their error...............a gramophone

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    I was "wandering" about that. This reminds me of a story when I was spending time in Oz. You guys say Nestl้ "nestle" not "nestlay" like we do. It gave me a giggle and I chalked it up to countries pronouncing things differently, which we do, and said nothing. Today, I might point out to my wretched EX in-law that there is an accent aigu on the "e" and not be so polite.

FTR, no offense to Aussies (just ex in-laws) as we Americans have no room to talk.

Make my day LRM and tell me it was ONLY my Tasmanian in-law pronouncing it that way:)

On a related note, I actually use realscam as a way to keep my reading, writing, and spelling skills functioning. While they've never been great, lack of use makes them worse. At the same time, I feel like I'm serving a purpose with some of my posts.

And now you know why most of my posts are edited. Just wish I had more than 30 minutes to fix all my mistakes:)
    Actually, she wouldn't have been alone back then

The company was always known as "NestleS" because of the way it labelled its' products here:

and it wasn't until probably the 1980s Nestle itself changed the way it presented itself here, as Nestle'

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post

The company was always known as "NestleS" because of the way it labelled its' products here:

and it wasn't until probably the 1980s Nestle itself changed the way it presented itself here, as Nestle'

Hmmm, I see "Nestl้'s" in the old pic. See the marks on top of the "e". To me that reads Nestlay's Quik and not Nestles but I'll concede that's how it was pronounced down under.

Just let me have my moment here, Okay?????!!!!! Lol
    Lord knows she picked on me enough.
    Forgive me LRM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm a native Brit, so I've had a while to try and perfect my use of the English language - I've not quite done it yet!

A minute of mental arithmetic per day can help jog the brain!

Jason
    Ah. Was wondering about "offence" vs "offense". I couldn't tell whether or not you might be
    making a joke there. So "offence" is the main spelling for brits?

Post Thanks / Like

And Australians

18. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

• Confusing ʽbeingʼ with ʽbeenʼ (e.g. I love been a raging rapist)
    LOL . . . what?

I almost spit out my tea when I read that.

At least the pronoun "I" is capitalized. My pet peeve is when somebody writes that in lower case.

20. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post

This is why I drink Bosco

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I sounded just as funny calling Sydney's Circular Quay (key), Circular Kway.