LMAO LMAO:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Ignorant Ignorant:  0
Moron Moron:  0

Thread: Organised crime worth $870 billion worldwide

Post Thanks / Like

Organised crime worth $870 billion worldwide

INTERNATIONAL organised crime is worth $US870 billion ($A852.36 billion), the head of the UN's office on drugs and crime (UNODC) says.
    "We are able to quantify the cost of transnational organised crime, it is $US870 billion,"
    UNODC executive director Yury Fedotov told a crime conference in Vienna.

"But we cannot calculate the misery and suffering caused to millions of people by these illicit activities," he added.

The perpetrators are "smart, sophisticated and largely opportunistic", he said, calling for better international co-operation to tackle highly mobile organised crime groups.

Some 800 ministers and civil society representatives are attending the week-long conference on transnational crime in the Austrian capital.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Organised crime worth $870 billion worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post

INTERNATIONAL organised crime is worth $US870 billion ($A852.36 billion), the head of the UN's office on drugs and crime (UNODC) says.
    "We are able to quantify the cost of transnational organised crime, it is $US870 billion,"
    UNODC executive director Yury Fedotov told a crime conference in Vienna.

"But we cannot calculate the misery and suffering caused to millions of people by these illicit activities," he added.

The perpetrators are "smart, sophisticated and largely opportunistic", he said, calling for better international co-operation to tackle highly mobile organised crime groups.

Some 800 ministers and civil society representatives are attending the week-long conference on transnational crime in the Austrian capital.
    Which, i guess, is why we are here.

Let's hope this is only the first of many initiatives

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Organised crime worth $870 billion worldwide

You guys on here who've helped bring down plenty of schemes, and stopped hundreds, if not thousands of people losing their money deserve to be knighted ... or the appropriate action in your respective countries!

I'm only just starting out and I see LRM has 5,000+ posts - I only have 200+ - keep up the good work, guys!
    Hopefully one day I'll have done as much you lot.

Jason

4. Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post