View Poll Results: After viewing the video in the first post, what do you think?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sacred service worthy

0 0%
  • Next American Idol Winners

0 0%
  • A total abomination

1 50.00%
  • I must be having a daymare

1 50.00%
  • No wonder they are not paid

1 50.00%
  • Fire the church music minister yesterday

1 50.00%
  • Bad karaoke on Sunday morning.....

0 0%
  • Please, just shoot me now!

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By EagleOne
  • 1 Post By laidback

Thread: Is Eastridge Park Christian Church an Abusive Church? Music Minister Jerry Cornish / Pastor Scott Wooddell

Soapboxmom is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Is Eastridge Park Christian Church an Abusive Church? Music Minister Jerry Cornish / Pastor Scott Wooddell

Eastridge Park Christian Church with Pastor Scott Wooddell and Music Minister Jerry Cornish are the inspiration for this lovely thread. Perhaps, I should have titled it how to implode your church.

Blog Entries

Re: Is Eastridge Park Christian Church an Abusive Church? Music Minister Jerry Cornish / Pastor Scott Wooddell

Eastridge Park Christian Church

187 Videos 5 Followers 0 Likes

Most of the recent videos posted on Vimeo and linked on the church's website and Twitter account have had 0 (as in no) views. The church has gone from 2200 members to less than 200. Pastor Scott Wooddell and his Music Minister Jerry Cornish are running people off and that church has gone from dying to collapsing. There are wonderful people there who love that church and I want to help them save it. It is time for open and honest sharing.
    Last edited by Soapboxmom; 12-06-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Re: Is Eastridge Park Christian Church an Abusive Church? Music Minister Jerry Cornish / Pastor Scott Wooddell

I went to the church leadership with grave concerns about the music ministry and the gay bashing music director and the response was retaliation, including this lie-filled email from the pastor to me and many members of the choir and church.

Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2017 8:41 AM
    To: Esmithcpa; Anna Belia; Rita Huddleston; Scott Wooddell; Brenda and Eddie Johnson; clyvonne021449@; Joshahenderson; Jerry Cornish; Glenda Burgess; rudym57@; Deborah Oxford; Geisler, Jane (NBCUniversal); Gail McAda; vdgtoya@; Annie Drain; jackhenderson2012@; Linda Slejko; Wayne Knowles; utdmack@; david.mccoy@; Heather Dobrott; Bradeames; Barbara VanVessem
    Subject: Choir and Music

Heather said she was leaving the church if Joy resigned. Joy resigned over a week ago. Heather has left the church, yet continues sending emails. She is not a member and never gave financially to EPCC. She has no vested interest in the well being of our church. Her divisive, demeaning and derogatory comments are contrary to our Christian faith. Our faith teaches us to love, support, and encourage each other and strive for unity, Hopefully we can put this behind us and move forward serving the Lord together.
    The Scriptures speak directly to this in Ephesians 6:10-18.
    Pastor Scott

--
    --

Dr. Scott Wooddell |Senior Minister
    P972-279-7201 M 817-201-3698
    Escott@eastridgepark.com
    Wwww.eastridgepark.com
    A 2701 Town East Blvd. Mesquite, TX 75150
    Edited to add that I posted this on the church's Facebook page earlier today and now I can't reply as it seems the page was removed. If the pastor had no problem sending out this lie-filled rant to his flock why is it not worthy of being posted? Is he not willing to stand behind what he said???
    Last edited by Soapboxmom; 12-06-2017 at 08:35 PM.

Blog Entries

I got attacked for sharing the following as well. I talked to numerous people that had concerns about the music ministry as I did. I said flat out if the Music Minister Jerry Cornish ran off yet another organist that I was out the door with my music colleague.

Professional organist wrote:
    Dear Edith,

My apologies to you for being a week late in sending this letter of resignation. I am sorry that I even have to write this letter. The first time that I played as a substitute organist at Eastridge Park Christian Church, I determined that I never would return. I had been so poorly treated by the director of music that I left feeling highly disturbed and very much insulted. However, I could see immediately that this was a music program that was in a world of trouble. Therefore, when Jerry Cornish asked me if I would again substitute soon after, I relented and came back. He contacted me a few times over the next two months, and I told him I was not available to play for him again until September 1. I knew nothing of the history of the church, how long Mr. Cornish had been there, his qualifications to direct, or anything else. My bad. I should have done my homework and followed my first inclination to not return, because within a few minutes of the first choir rehearsal, it was clear that I was working with someone who is totally ignorant in all aspects of the field of church music. To be ignorant of a subject is not a crime, but to pretend that one is knowledgeable and competent, and then to not be able to acknowledge the truth about one's capabilities, is to shamelessly lie.

To continue to take orders from someone clearly incapable of giving sensible direction in a job that is my area of expertise is excruciatingly painful. A person with my level of education in this field follows protocols. I will not risk my professional reputation to follow the whims of a very insensitive, inexperienced, smug and tasteless director. To do so is akin to an experienced obstetrician taking direction and orders from a country, self-trained mid-wife. I have not come this far in my profession to submit to such treatment. And I am fully aware that the last meeting I attended with you was engineered to force my resignation, because it is clear that Jerry does not want anyone working in the music department who has credentials that he himself does not possess. And it is very sad that the top leader in the church, meaning the Pastor, refuses to admit that there are severe deficiencies, and would apparently risk losing his entire church over the silliness that the director introduces on a weekly basis.

I am not leaving because the distance I travel is too great, or even because the church leaders claim that they want to go to a more contemporary service. I have done plenty of contemporary services, I have done plenty of blended services. But the services I have attended at EPCC are not contemporary or blended. They are a complete disaster, lacking appropriateness, dignity, and preparation. There is not one piece of music that I have refused to play, but the quality of 99% of the music I have performed with the choir and the congregation has been very poor.. It is not my lack of cooperation in the music that has caused me to resign. I resigned because I was blindsided about Isabel, or anyone else, playing the piano while I play the organ. There are a myriad of reasons why this is not a good idea. I worked with Jerry for at least six weeks, allowing this to take place, and I quietly went along with the program. Jerry knew how I felt about it, but refused to make any concessions on his part. That, alone, is the mark of a very poor leader. The level of cooperation and respect that I was shown was zero. Both Jerry and the Pastor are completely ignorant about what it takes to introduce and maintain a contemporary service, or about proper musical procedures in any type of service. I cannot work in such an atmosphere of ignorance.

I was very happy with my relationship with the choir, and my contacts with members of the congregation were delightful. It was their love and appreciation that kept me coming, even though I knew my term of service was rapidly turning into a losing proposition. I will always remember the warmth and kindnesses extended to me.

You may not be happy with the content of this letter, but I have been completely honest, and with no wish to offend. I pray that God will be with each member of the Eastridge Park Christian Church community.

Sincerely,
    Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 11:50 AM
    Subject: Re: RE: FW: Resignation Letter EPCC #1

You are way out of line. You are not a member of our church. You should not be threatening us.

Edith E. Smith

Sent: Monday, October 30, 2017 11:24 AM
    To:
    Subject: Re: FW: Resignation Letter EPCC #1

Heather,

This letter should not be sent to anyone except the personnel committee. Please stop sending this in your effort to destroy our church.

Edith
    Why should that resignation letter that is truthful be secret? The lies, incompetence and abuse are what are destroying that church. I will not be silenced.

Blog Entries

https://www.facebook.com/EastridgeParkChristianChurchIsAbusive/posts/160214801382398

Jerry Cornish resume fraud. How many total lies? Choral, vocal, choral conducting, singing, jazz........ and not a graduate of SMU!!!

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/…/dictionary/english/alumni

"alumniplural noun us ​ /əˈlʌmˌnɑɪ/

men and women who have completed their studies, esp. at a college or university:
    a reunion of Yale alumni of the class of 1990
    Vassar alumni"
    Alumni US | Southern Methodist University, Dallas/Fort Worth Area
    Jerry Cornish alumnus photo
    Jerry Cornish

Mesquite, Texas
    Piano Instructor at Creek Crossing Music Studio
    Music
    Skills:
    Piano Teacher, Church Music, Accompanying, Accompaniment, Piano, Choral, Keyboards, Music Theory, Music, Classical, Music Education, Ear Training, Composition, Piano Education, Sight Reading, Band, Music History, Chamber Music, Contemporary Music, Orchestral Music, Conducting, Ensemble, Musical Theatre, Orchestration, Finale, Vocal, Sibelius, Pianist, Musicology, Singing, Musicians, Music Technology, Jazz, Teaching, Music Performance, Piano Playing, Choral Conducting

Education:
    Southern Methodist University 1992 – 1992

Phillips University 1982 – 1987
    Bachelor of Music Education, Piano
    Experience:
    Texas Music Teachers Association June 2014 – Present
    Eastfield College September 2012 – Present
    El Centro College January 2011 – Present
    Grace Episcopal Church February 2010 – Present
    Creek Crossing Music Studio 2006 – Present
    Creek Crossing Music Studio January 2005 – Present
    Texas Music Teachers Association August 2011 – June 2014

Alumni US | Southern Methodist University, Dallas/Fort Worth Area
    Graduates of Southern Methodist University - the names, photos, skill, job, location. Information on the Southern Methodist University - contacts, students, faculty,…
    alumnius.net

littleroundman is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Soapboxmom View Post

Eastridge Park Christian Church with Pastor Scott Wooddell and Music Minister Jerry Cornish are the inspiration for this lovely thread. Perhaps, I should have titled it how to implode your church.

What the ..........................???
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Blog Entries

https://probe.org/abusive-churches-leaving-them-behind/
    .....First, does the leadership invite dialogue, advice, evaluation, and questions from outside its immediate circle? Authoritarian pastors are threatened by any diverse opinions whether from inside or outside the group. Group members are discouraged from asking hard questions. The rule is, don’t ask questions and don’t make waves. A healthy pastor welcomes even tough questions, whereas in an unhealthy church disagreement with the pastor is considered disloyalty and is virtually equal to disobeying God. Spiritual language is used to disguise the manipulation that is going on. Questioners are labeled rebellious, insubordinate, and disruptive to the harmony of the body. Attempts are made to shut them down. The only way to succeed is to go along with the agenda, support the leaders, scorn those who disagree.

Second, is there a system of accountability or does the pastor keep full control? Authoritarian pastors do not desire a system of accountability. They may have a board but it consists of yes-men whom he ultimately selects......

Fifth, does the group encourage independent thinking, developing discernment skills, and creation of new ideas? Abusive churches resort to using pressure to have followers conform, and there is a low tolerance for any kind of difference in belief.....

See More

Abusive Churches: Leaving Them Behind – A Biblical Perspective
    How do we overcome an abusive church experience? Although the scars are deep, there is hope for healing and wholeness. Learn some insightful counsel that will…
    probe.org
    I left Eastridge Park Christian Church due to the abuse and Pastor Scott made sure I knew I was no longer welcome. I will be speaking out!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by littleroundman View Post

What the ..........................???
    Bad karaoke on Sunday morning.....

Blog Entries

https://relevantmagazine.com/…/its-time-address-spiritual-a…
    ....what we need to improve on is recognizing the subtle emotional and psychological abuse......
    1. CULTIVATE AN OPEN ATMOSPHERE
    A MAJOR PART OF CREATING AN OPEN ATMOSPHERE IN CHURCH IS TO MAKE SURE THERE ARE SYSTEMS OF ACCOUNTABILITY IN PLACE FOR EVERYONE IN LEADERSHIP POSITIONS....BUT ALONG WITH ACCOUNTABILITY, THERE NEEDS TO BE A WILLINGNESS FOR CHURCH LEADERSHIP TO LISTEN TO CONGREGANTS. I WOULD SAY THAT MANY CHRISTIANS DO NOT FEEL THAT THERE IS ROOM TO EXPRESS THEIR HONEST OPINION IN THEIR CHURCH ATMOSPHERE.... IF GRACE, TRUTH AND HONESTY ARE COMMON PRACTICES AND TOPICS OF DISCUSSION IN YOUR CHURCH, THEN PEOPLE WILL BE MUCH MORE WILLING TO COME FORWARD ABOUT THEIR OWN EXPERIENCES....
    2. ALTER YOUR PERSPECTIVE
    SOMETIMES WE GET SO CAUGHT UP IN OUR ROUTINES AND TRADITIONS, THAT WE HAVE STOPPED ANALYZING THEM TO SEE IF THEY ARE APPROPRIATE OR EFFECTIVE....
    3. LISTEN WITH SINCERITY
    NOT ONLY IS IT IMPORTANT TO SET MEASURE IN PLACE TO ALLOW PEOPLE TO COME FORWARD, BUT THE INDIVIDUAL NEEDS TO FEEL THAT THEY ARE BEING TAKEN SERIOUSLY.....

It’s Time to Address Spiritual Abuse in the Church
    There are a lot of issues the Church doesn’t talk about. We allow these unspoken problems to sit alongside us like regular members of the congregation, and refuse to acknowledge them. Spiritual abuse is one of these issues that has been sitting…
    relevantmagazine.com
    Eastridge Park should take note. There is a reason that the membership has plummeted and the choir has gone from around 40 members to less than half that in 3 years.

Blog Entries

The church's Music Minister, Jerry Cornish, has no choral, vocal or sacred music background and has also been fraudulaently passing himself off as qualified to teach jazz piano:

Please see the following texts exchange:
    I wrote: We have a huge mess on our hands. As you know, Richland is hoping they will have a spot for a second hour a week with the jazz piano teacher, Brad Williams in the spring. Right now all they could do was to recommend a book and Russian volunteer a student to help her. The professors have noticed that she has been taught no jazz techniques and told her not to go back to your studio.

Jerry Cornish answered: Yikes! Lately we’ve been working on the Christmas music and the scales. She’s welcome to come in for more that if you would like.

Student wrote: The jazz band teacher had to pull me out of class on Monday and take me into a practice room to go over the pieces because I’m struggling so much. My private lesson teacher had instructed me to not go back to your studio. The jazz band teacher also doesn’t want you helping me. My instructors quizzed me and they didn’t feel I had any jazz instruction and they didn’t understand why you were pulling stuff up on YouTube and not just sight reading the music off the page. They also felt the church music was inappropriate and they asked me to stop.

Jerry Cornish answered: So excited for you! High school jazz is kind of dipping your toe in the water, but now it sounds like you’re going to jump all in! Where as we work piece by piece here so you would feel comfortable with your jazz band pieces, now you’re going to be a real hip jazz player.
    It’s standard to not have two teachers for one piece, and now that you’re in to the Jazz department, you should definitely stick with that program exclusively.
    You are in the big kid world now and I feel that you’re totally up to it!

I responded: Her high school performed at close to a professional level with the Dallas Jazz Orchestra and the like. These kids were competing for scholarships.

Blog Entries

The Music Minister, Jerry Cornish, is so gauche that he posted the choir's offering to God at a sacred service on Sunday on Youtube under comedy. Those dear singers are being led by someone who has no vocal, choral or sacred music background and due to his incompetence they sound awful, but to label their offering to God a comedy is beyond reprehensible:

Music that bad will cause members to continue to leave in droves. Offerings to God may be humble, but just plain bad and not well prepared is inexcusable.

EagleOne is offline Elite Scambuster

I guess they believe in making a "Joyful Noise" literally.
    EagleOne
    Founder/President Eagle Research Associates
    http://eagleresearchassociates.org
    http://swindles.org
    Author: "Robbing You With A Keyboard Instead Of A Gun - Cyber Crime How They Do It" available in soft cover and eBook at Amazon.com
    Lifetime Member of the National Association of Distinguished Professionals

laidback is offline Senior Troll

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    I guess they believe in making a "Joyful Noise" literally.
    Yeah, p-a-i-n-f-u-l, joyful!
    It seems like in this "industry" common sense is not all that common!